0.18.1.x issues/review

More general comments, including Off Topic.

Moderator: Pablo

jeroen

0.18.1.x issues/review

Post by jeroen »

Hi,

I've been using minimyth for a while on my sp8000e and basically very happy with it. Here a few are a few remarks.

- 0.18.1.7 and 0.18.1.8 don't seem to honor the MM_SOUND/MM_AUDIO_TYPE for xine. Since I don't have digital sound I didn't hear sound when playing dvd's
- Looks like mythvideo is using xine by default (or is this backend configuration?). With my configuration mplayer is the better choice for playing DivX movies, xine has dropped frames.
- Never got my Epia so hot (85C and smelly...) when using the "visualize" function of mythmusic to save my TV from burning in (almost burned the house ;-)). The black screen is using lot's of cpu power.
- With 0.18.1.7 playing back divx encoded recordings from my bttv card hung the system with a bright green screen, seems to been fixed with 0.18.1.8 ?

and finally a feature request ;
please add awk and lsdvd in the next release. I use these in a script as an alternative to xine to play dvd's (if I choose "play vcd")

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
TRACK=`lsdvd | awk '/^Longest track:/ { print $3 }'`
mplayer dvd://$TRACK -dvd-device /dev/dvd -ao alsa -srate 48000 -fs -zoom -slang nl
I prefer this most of the times for playing dvd's. For now I put awk and lsdvd in my extras tarball.

Thanks for this great mini distro !

Jeroen
Pablo
Site Admin

Re: 0.18.1.x issues/review

Post by Pablo »

jeroen wrote:- 0.18.1.7 and 0.18.1.8 don't seem to honor the MM_SOUND/MM_AUDIO_TYPE for xine. Since I don't have digital sound I didn't hear sound when playing dvd's
Thanks for catching this. Somewhere along the line, I messed up the xine configuration file (likely when adding the deinterlace support). Since I use the digital audio output, I never noticed. It will be fixed in the next release.
- Looks like mythvideo is using xine by default (or is this backend configuration?). With my configuration mplayer is the better choice for playing DivX movies, xine has dropped frames.
This is a frontend thing. The source code Myth defaults to mplayer. However, since xine was doing a better job handling aspect ratio and mpeg2 accelaration, I patched the source to use xine as the default. However, these are no longer a problem, so maybe I should switch it back.
- Never got my Epia so hot (85C and smelly...) when using the "visualize" function of mythmusic to save my TV from burning in (almost burned the house ;-)). The black screen is using lot's of cpu power.
Odd, I thought that this worked in the past. However, now it causes X to use all the available CPU. I will try to track this down.
- With 0.18.1.7 playing back divx encoded recordings from my bttv card hung the system with a bright green screen, seems to been fixed with 0.18.1.8 ?
I did not to fix this. However, both drm and mplayer were updated, so that might have fixed it. On my minimyth frontend, I rarely play non-mpeg2 video files, and I have never played any divx video files.
and finally a feature request ;
please add awk and lsdvd in the next release. I use these in a script as an alternative to xine to play dvd's (if I choose "play vcd")
Both awk and lsdvd will be in the next release. By the way, you use sed command to accomplish the same thing as the awk command.