DHCP help needed!

More general comments, including Off Topic.

Moderator: Pablo

ThomP

DHCP help needed!

Post by ThomP »

I just decided to try minimyth with my Epia MS, and I'm in the middle of installing Fedora on my future backend-server.

But but but... Then I started reading "larry's guide" on network booting, and now I'm afraid that my work is wasted!

The problem is that according to the guide I will have to disable the DHCP server of my router which I'm not sure is possible:

The network is divided by a hardware firewall (Sonicwall) into a "work"-port with some sort of encrypted VPN-connection and a "private" part with a 4-point switch which I use for my home LAN. The problem is that the router is in front of the Sonicwall, and I have no access to the settings - even if I did I imagine that my work pc uses the dhcp server as well.

Is there any way to overcome this problem? I was thinking that I might install a second router behind the Sonicwall and attach all my private pcs to that. I already have the router, but it's running as a switch and wireless access point at the moment. I tried connecting it via the WAN port once, but I never got it working (probably due to my lack of network knowledge!).

So what are my options?
Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo »

If you need specific IP's for your work stuff, statically assign IP's on your work machines (they may already, check your network settings tab). If they are DHCP based you can:
-Write down the settings your work machine gets and manually assign them to it in the network settings.
or
- Make sure your newly created DHCP server assigns the same ones.

Then look at getting DHCP disabled on your router.
Eduardo
-- M10000-Ezra 512M minimyth-0.19 / AMD 1.1 GHz 512M PVR350 w/tvout Myth 0.19 knoppmyth.R5B7
ThomP

Post by ThomP »

Eduardo wrote:Then look at getting DHCP disabled on your router.
That's exactly my problem; I don't have any access to the setup of the Sonicwall, and my provider won't do it. So even though my work machine is in another IP range (the Sonicwall splits the network into two zones) there is no way I can get rid of the DHCP server :(
Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo »

Well you can add a second nic to the backend server... Give it an IP in a different network range (say 10.0.0.*)

Then connect the frontend to the backend via a cross over cable or a different switch/hub.

You may need to turn routing on for the backend server.
You may need to limit the NIC that the backend DHCP server listens to so not to conflict with the router.
Eduardo
-- M10000-Ezra 512M minimyth-0.19 / AMD 1.1 GHz 512M PVR350 w/tvout Myth 0.19 knoppmyth.R5B7
Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo »

Oh yeah there is also the compact flash booting option...
Eduardo
ThomP

Post by ThomP »

Yes, the CF booting is looking more and more attractive :) Just to clear things up; does CF booting run entirely off the CF or does it still load from a tftp server? And how big a CF card would I need to get it running?
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

ThomP wrote:Yes, the CF booting is looking more and more attractive :) Just to clear things up; does CF booting run entirely off the CF or does it still load from a tftp server? And how big a CF card would I need to get it running?
It runs entirely from the compact flash card. It does not need a TFTP server. However, it expects a DHCP server to assign an IP address (although other parameters normally provided by the DHCP server can be set using the minimyth.dhcp file).

A CF card with 128MB would be enough. It just needs enough room for the kernel image, the rootfs image and the configuration files.

The CF support was designed to have the CF device connected to an IDE device. You can achieve this by attaching a CF-to-IDE adapter to the IDE interface on the board.

MiniMyth has USB boot support as well. The USB boot support may work with the EPIA MS's CF slot since it is connected to the USB 2.0 interface. However, I have never tried it.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.
ThomP

Post by ThomP »

Ok, thanks.

I'm gonna try this, so now I guess I will have to reveal my total lack of Linux knowledge:

I downloaded syslinux and ran syslinux H: (running Windows) to make my CF bootable. I also copied the following files to the card:
kernel-minimyth-0.19-14
rootfs-minimyth-0.19-14
minimyth.conf

But (of course), when I boot, syslinux couldn't find the kernel. I renamed the kernel file to "linux" and that made it start loading, but then I get a "kernel panic - not syncing" about not being able to mount root fs.

I guess I should run the script as it says in the minimyth.conf, but how do I do that (I'm running Windows on the PC I use to set this up).
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

ThomP wrote:Ok, thanks.

I'm gonna try this, so now I guess I will have to reveal my total lack of Linux knowledge:

I downloaded syslinux and ran syslinux H: (running Windows) to make my CF bootable. I also copied the following files to the card:
kernel-minimyth-0.19-14
rootfs-minimyth-0.19-14
minimyth.conf

But (of course), when I boot, syslinux couldn't find the kernel. I renamed the kernel file to "linux" and that made it start loading, but then I get a "kernel panic - not syncing" about not being able to mount root fs.

I guess I should run the script as it says in the minimyth.conf, but how do I do that (I'm running Windows on the PC I use to set this up).
kernel-* needs to be renamed kernel
rootfs-* needs to be renamed rootfs
minimyth.conf needs to go in a directory called conf/default (conf\default on windows).
you need a file called syslinux.cfg
syslinux.cfg needs to contain the lines mentioned in minimyth.conf.

The script will only run on linux.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.