booting minimyth-0.17beta1 over NFS

Share your success stories with others

Moderator: Pablo

lmatter
Contributor

booting minimyth-0.17beta1 over NFS

Post by lmatter »

I was able to boot minimyth-0.17beta over NFS today. I wanted to share some pointers for anyone else that wants to try this.

First, make sure you've enabled the NFS build in minimyth.conf.mk (best way is to copy minimyth.conf.mk to ~/.minimyth/minimyth.conf.mk and edit it there). The option is mm_INSTALL_NFS (default is no). Also make sure you set mm_NFS_ROOT to a valid location. Then make everything normally.

Make sure the nfs root is exported correctly in /etc/exports. This is how mine looks (mm_NFS_ROOT = /exports):
/exports/minimyth-0.17.0.0beta1.c3 *(ro,no_root_squash,async)

run exportfs or just bounce the nfs server.

Edit your PXE config file (probably called default).

KERNEL minimyth/kernel-minimyth-0.17.0.0beta1.c3
APPEND root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.1.140:/exports/minimyth-0.17.0.0beta1.c3,rsize=8192,ro
IPAPPEND 1

An important change from the instructions in my "nothing but net" article is that I need to use the IPAPPEND option rather than "ip=dhcp" on the APPEND line because I switched the frontends to use dynamic IPs rather than assigned by hardware address.

That was about it. It just worked after that
Larry
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

And, quite to my surprise, there is very little difference in overall start time between NFS root and RAMDISK.

NFS: 1min 33sec to get mythfrontend menu
RAM: 1min 39secs.

The cramfs image takes probably 25 seconds to download (didn't time it exactly) but once it is loaded everything starts up much faster.

I haven't looked into why, just did a quick timing.

Larry
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

lmatter wrote:And, quite to my surprise, there is very little difference in overall start time between NFS root and RAMDISK.

NFS: 1min 33sec to get mythfrontend menu
RAM: 1min 39secs.

The cramfs image takes probably 25 seconds to download (didn't time it exactly) but once it is loaded everything starts up much faster.

I haven't looked into why, just did a quick timing.

Larry
This does not seem too surprising. Most of the files in the MiniMyth image are needed to reach the point where MiniMyth is running. The only exceptions are MPlayer and Xine related files, which are not needed until you run MPlayer or Xine. As a result, most of the image files must be transfered over the network, either by TFTP or NFS.