Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

I have uploaded another beta. Minor changes. http://linpvr.org/rel-0.4beta2

mythfrontend from MythTV-0.14 release.

Includes the sleek theme.

It has support for SMB (you have to use the smbmount command, you can't mount -t smbfs). It will complain a lot about charsets, but it works.

I also added support for ati remotes, though I don't have one so I can't test it. Set LIRC=ati in the pxeconfig file and let me know if it works.

Next release will have the epia7.1 X patch from Thomas.

Please try this and let me know how it works.

Larry
zzo

almost groovy...

Post by zzo »

... except you forgot to add the 'xmodmap' executable to /usr/X11R6/bin in the rootfs.
Once I did that the ati remote works great.
Also I think we need a dummy mountpoint in the distro to mount samba shares on - if I'm the only one using this then I can do it myself. I use '/moregoo' myself but that's just me.
I couldn't get samba to mount onto a directory I created in the translucency filesystem - everything else is read only.
Mark
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Uh, yeah. Sorry about that :oops: Next release will have it. Glad the rest of it works.

I'll create a /var/mnt directory for mounts. For now you can create a dir in /tmp or /var. Translucency is a little touchy. It works fine for regular files, but doesn't work with symlinks, for example.

Thanks for trying it.

Larry
markk

Post by markk »

Larry

I've been trying out the beta2 release this morning but haven't had much luck :(

In summary, it boots fine and enters the frontend. I can change all of the settings etc. and can start watching tv.

As soon as I try anything else - change channel, volume, any kind of OSD etc, it seg faults. Most of the time the backend also segfaults - which is a bit worrying!

For reference, my current stable 'minimyth' build is 0.2 updated for myth release 0.14 per nem/Darren's HOWTO. My backend is a stable 0.14 build with dual DVB-T cards. I've been using these in combination for a few days without any significant problems (and prior to that several weeks of CVS versions) - any problems are purely mythtv related (i.e. segfaults if you try and record live tv with no schedule info).

I'm keen to try and help out - I don't really want to be left behind as things move forward!

Any thoughts?

As far as I can see, the obvious candidates are the new kernel, new X build or Ivor's drivers - and if no one else is having the same problems, I would assume it is DVB related...

As a starter, can I simply swap out the opensource driver for the via version to see if that is the cause? (I've already re-crammed to enable PAL).

Thanks and regards

Mark
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Hmmm. I built this basically using minimyth-0.2 and updating kernel, X and mythfrontend. So yeah, I guess it's one of those. Grasping at straws since I don't have DVB here. I guess you try a different OSD theme (settings/tv/playback)

You can't swap out the driver for Via's as Via's are specific to a kernel (that I am no longer using). I'll keep thinking about it. And if someone else with DVB could try it that would be grand.

BTW, I'm going to add a kernel arg for tv format (NTSC/PAL) so you don't have to edit the file and recram. What else do you change in XF86Config besides TVType?

Larry
markk

Post by markk »

OK - I think I've identified where the problem is.

Everything is fine with hardware encoding disabled in the menu setup. If I switch to hardware encoding, it faults at the first hint of any use of OSD (irrespective of OSD theme).

The problem is (as has been discussed before), without hardware encoding the video output is rendered unusable when dealing with DVB.

Does that point to the open source driver?

The only config change I needed to make is switching to PAL - but have you changed the LIRC setup. I copied over my customised lirc.conf (renamed) and .lircrc files but haven't had any joy - although I have to admit I haven't dug very far on that yet.

Cheers

Mark
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

yeah, I changed lirc. Send me your files and I'll add them

Larry
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

some updates:

I've added mythweather, mythvideo (and mplayer), and mythgallery to my beta. I've also added smb and nfs support. As soon as I clean things up I'll upload it.

I'm still trying to figure out mythgallery. But the others seem pretty self explanitory. If anyone has experience and/or advice with these modules please contact me as I'm still trying to figure out the best way to support them. I'll probably create a global mount point called "/share" as that is the default in mythgallery.

The image is up to about 38M which I still think is quite reasonable.

Larry
zzo

awesome...

Post by zzo »

How about mythmusic? I know that's a biggie but that would be key...
thanks,
Mark
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Yeah, I'm working up my courage :-).

Larry
zzo

one more thing... (ya right!)

Post by zzo »

If you add CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=y instead of as a module I won't have to hack loadmods.script to load it - with it loaded however my usb 2.0 external cdrw/dvd player
showed right up - which is -very- nice... & will be very handy for mythdvd & mythmusic one day...
Mark
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

I hit a little snag trying to get mythmusic to work. When it starts to play, it crashes with a divide by zero error. Googling around has made me think it is the audio driver. Hmmm.

Larry
zzo

bummer.

Post by zzo »

lemmie know if I can help out in any way - once mythmusic & mythdvd are in I will have reached nirvana.
Mark
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Well, it's either I built it wrong and/or stole some libraries from Mandrake that I really shouldn't have, or there really is a flaw in the kernel oss driver that mythmusic is exposing.

This is the thread that lead me to the latter conclusion. It is the exact symtoms I have (divide error, then scratchy noise that persists until reboot).

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive ... ng_P78424/

It will be tricky to change kernels without losing mpeg s
upport. Prehaps its time to try alsa.

If you want to look into what it would take to use alsa (and which version works well for EPIA) that would help. I'll try to compare the audio driver between what I am using now and the older -ac kernel I was using.

Larry
zzo

alsa should be pretty simple

Post by zzo »

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=372#Installing_ALSA
I was using ALSA on an MSI mothboard with a VIA 8235 chip no problem.
If I had cvs access to your source or something I'd do it but it's prolly easier for you.
Mark