minimyth-0.4beta

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Thanks Mark, this is just what I needed.

Larry
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

I decided to try the viaudiocombo driver since that is also source, and I had the same problem (crashing with divide error and then noise). Which doesn't tell me a whole lot as the viaudiocombo driver also depends on ac97_codec and soundcore modules.

I have started building alsa but it is more involved so will take a bit to get included in minimyth. I also have to rebuild a few libraries to take advantage of it.
drsoran

OSD disappearing?

Post by drsoran »

Is anyone using minimyth 0.14-beta2 with hardware mpeg-2 decoding experiencing problems with the on screen displays not working? I can watch the video, but if I go to hit pause or fast forward it usually crashes and locks up with a column of text going down the left hand side of the screen. When it doesn't crash I get no OSD at all but playback works. If I shut off hardware decoding it works great as expected. System is a 1GHz Via Epia Nehemiah M10000 diskless frontend connected to a Debian MythTV 0.14 box on the backend w/dual PVR-250 cards recording at 720x480 at 3300Kbps.

Also, one other oddity that I encountered is that I had to re-cram the image with an XFree86 config commenting out the DPMS option in the device section or my TV would blank after 20 minutes. I guess I should check the BIOS to make sure I have all the power saving features disabled, but I didn't have this issue before with minimyth 0.2 and I'd think the xset command in the .xinitrc file would've disabled DPMS blanking. Anyone else experiencing that?

Otherwise, great work. This beta-2 release has been working great with software decoding of my mpeg-2 files... thankfully my frontend can just barely keep up with decoding at that rate. :-)
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Geez, not sure how that DPMS got in there, but it probably explains the problems I was having. I "solved" it by adding a bunch of server flags to disable standby. I'll take it out for the next beta, thanks.

I talked about hwmpeg in the other thread to which you posted (though I didn't really say much).

Larry
willwagner2k

smbmount works!

Post by willwagner2k »

I just wanted to mention I got smbmount to work with the beta release, and it automatically mounts my samba server on boot. I don't know if this is the best way to do it (still a linux newbie here), but I just modified /etc/rc and added the smbmount commands right before the last line (which does the xinit) like this:

/sbin/smbmount //VideoServer/video /video -o username=loginname%secretpassword

I added /video to the rootfs for a mount point but I'll probably change it to a more standard place. Anyway, worked like a champ for MythVideo, although getting album covers in mythvideo still isn't working quite right but I might be missing something.

I also got MythTivo somewhat working (it's still a little jerky on playback), but to be honest, I completely hacked it up to get it to work and it was a frustrating experience for newb like me, but when I clean it up, I'll try to post how I did it for anyone that might find it useful.

Anyway, great work on the beta release!
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Thanks Will.

Here is how things are working at this point. In order to simplify (I hope) adding extra mount points, etc, I have implemented the following scheme.

/etc/rc, just after it starts up all the core services (networking, logging, module loading), tries to tfpt a few files from the $MYTHSERVER to provide a chance to override the default files. Currently this list includes /etc/fstab, /etc/localtime, and /etc/X11/XF86Config. Then it tries to upload one more file, called preapp.script. This file, if it exists, is then run. That file can do more mounting (of stuff not in fstab), load more modules, upload more files, whatever. It gets run before xinit. BTW, the scheme for getting files from $MYTHSERVER is first to try filename.$HOSTNAME and if that fails, try filename. So I think that will provide a lot of customization potential without having to recram the image.

I also added a /mnt directory which is tmpfs, so you can create any mount points you need under there. No more /share.

Additionally, I have added a kernel command line arg for TV format. If the only thing you need to change in XF86Config is to set output to PAL, you can do that by adding TV=PAL to the kernel args in the pxeconfig file; no need to hack up the XF86Config.

What I want to do next is to change minimyth so the root directory of the root user is /root instead of /, so I can make /root writable (or nfs mountable) so that .lircrc, .xinitrc, and .mythtv/ can be dealt with.

Then I will upload another beta and get cracking on mythmusic again.

Comments? One down side (that I could fix) is that your tftp server must be running on the same machine as mythbackend. But I won't bother if this is not a problem for anyone. Speak up now!

Larry
willwagner2k

Post by willwagner2k »

That sounds like a great improvement for providing flexibility, and a big help to adding customization without tinkering with the standard rootfs.

I have my tftp server on a different machine than my mythbackend, but it's fairly trivial to add it there if need be. It probably makes some sense getting it directly off the mythbackend machine anyways.
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Naw, I was just being lazy. In dhcp.script, there is a variable called siaddr, which is the IP of the tftp machine. It is not passed on to other scripts, so I need to save it somewhere and access it later after the net is started. I'll work on it.

Larry
dhartman

Post by dhartman »

For my current setup it is not a problem to have the dhcp server (tftp server) on the same box as my mythbackend. I could see it being an issue for someone who has a dedicated dhcp server somewhere else in their network. I guess I'd prefer to see an option at some point if it's not too much work.
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

I've uploaded a new beta, rel-0.4beta3. Clicking on the link takes you to the new readme. I've also announced this one on the home page.

Please give this one a good try. I will now start working on mythmusic and once I have that solved we'll have a release candidate.

Thanks for your help.

Larry
markk

Post by markk »

Larry

HWMPEG decoding working - very nice - and you've made the same modification to the OSD fadeaway that I realised during the week! (has helped a lot with audio sync problems)

A couple of things I've noticed:-

1. You have a typo in the servers.script - tries to create XF86COnfig, not XF86Config - hence x fails if I try TV=PAL

2. The file upload looks in the tftpboot 'root' directory - /var/lib/tftpboot - and not /var/lib/tftpboot/PXEClient. Probably obvious in retrospect, but might save someone a few minutes of head scratching!

3. I can't get my preapp.script to execute. Seems to be a permission thing, but no matter what permissions I set on the server, the copy always has read permission only. Have you seen this as well? - or am I missing something blindingly obvious?

Looking forward to MythMusic...

Regards

Mark
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Mark,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll fix the XCOnfig problem in the next release. For now, just let minimyth suck it up via tftp.

The tftp directory had me scratching my head too at first. I guess I could have it go to PXEClient or even try both locations. I'll think about it.

My preapp.script has 644 perms. It doesn't need execute as it is just passed to sh to run.

And I think ftp in general always strips the execute bit.

Not sure why yours is not executed. You could add a "set -x" to rc (and to preapp just to make sure). I would comment out .xinit if you do that so you can see all the text.

And I'm looking forward to mythmusic as well. I hope it doesn't take to long to fix.

I'm really happy with this release currently, especially after I solved my stuttering probs on recorded shows. I played 3 streams simultaniously to 3 different EPIA M's. 720x480 at 6k. No stuttering on my switched 100bT.

Larry
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

BTW, booting in frame buffer mode works. Currently it displays the Via logo, but I may look at a mythtv one.

Just tack on a "vga=785" to the APPEND line in the pxe config line.

This only slighty improves the look of the boot process. Unfortunately half of the ugliness is the BIOS and pxe booting. Not sure what to do about that except hack the BIOS.

Larry
drsoran

Post by drsoran »

lmatter wrote: This only slighty improves the look of the boot process. Unfortunately half of the ugliness is the BIOS and pxe booting. Not sure what to do about that except hack the BIOS.
I just ended up adding "quiet" to the PXElinux append line so it cuts out almost all of the messages after the kernel starts booting. It doesn't really matter though since it boots up in about 15 seconds once it downloads the rootfs over tftp.
drsoran

Post by drsoran »

Oh by the way, I don't know what changed, but hardware mpeg-2 decoding works good on my Nehemiah box now too. The OSD is in grayscale, but this seems to be a normal problem right?

I was having trouble at first with TFTP timeouts until I remembered you mentioning it does the TFTP to the mythtv backend. Once I put tftpd on that I was in better shape. I have another box serving up dhcp and tftpd for the images. I guess it doesn't matter.

All in all it's been working great, but perhaps you want to think the tftp loading of the config files through a little more. Perhaps you could just have it download and parse one config file and that would detail what other config files to try downloading and where to put them? Then if someone wants to have their fstab files in /tftpboot/PXELinux/configs/fstab and another guy wants them in /tftpboot/configs/mythtv/frontend/fstab they could. Something like:

/configs/mythtv/frontend/fstab /etc/fstab
/configs/mythtv/frontend/localtime /etc/localtime

Nothing a bit of shell scripting and a loop couldn't work out to parse I would imagine, but I suppose the alternative is to just have people put whatever they want in the preapp.script file and download whatever files they want. This isn't a huge issue though since the only file I'm using right now is fstab to mount an NFS share of pictures, videos, and eventually mp3's for mythmusic.

Oh, the only other issue I'm having is MythWeather doesn't seem to want to grab a map from the weather channel. It's probably just a permission problem on whatever place it's trying to write it to, but has anyone else tried it? That used to impress my weather channel loving father in law. ;-)