minimyth-0.4beta

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

timdp

Post by timdp »

Oh, the only other issue I'm having is MythWeather doesn't seem to want to grab a map from the weather channel. It's probably just a permission problem on whatever place it's trying to write it to, but has anyone else tried it? That used to impress my weather channel loving father in law.
I am seeing this same thing and agree it is probably trying to write the map to an area that it does not have permission to write to.
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

I saw that too, and now suddenly it's working. I think making .mythtv writable is the trick. See the sample preapp.script for how I am doing this.

Larry
AndrewDV

Post by AndrewDV »

Hello,

I downloaded the latest beta and have some feedback. The system I am testing on is a EM6000 with 128MB PC2100 and slim DVD player.

I am very impressed with the progress! The boot time is quicker than expected. The hardware decoding is working really well. I also like that the available themes are already included. I can only expect that this will get even better.

If this helps, here are some observations:

1-Some skips/stutters start happening the more the channel is changed while watching Live TV. Ex: I start off watching channel 78 and everything is fine. I change to channel 49, then there is a stutter every 10 secs. I change to channel 7, then there is a stutter every 7 seconds. If I leave it alone for about 10 minutes, the stutters disappear. A quicker workaround is to go to the myth menu, then start watching live TV again.

2-There is a X server crash when accessing the "Watch Recordings" functionality. The GUI is displayed with the recordings listed for a brief second or two, then the system gets dumped to the console.

3 - MythWeather is not retrieving any weather. This might be due to the proxy on my network. Is there any way to configure a proxy setting?

BTW, is there anyway to add MythDVD to the mix? MPlayer seems to be installed. I use MPlayer for DVDs on a separate Nehemiah machine.

Thanks
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Thanks for the feedback Andrew. Here are my comments:

1) I'm not seeing this, but I don't watch too much live TV. There are some issues with MythTV LiveTV that have been fixed in CVS, but I"m not upgrading because I want to ship with an official release. You might consider upgrading your copy to see if that fixes the Live TV problem.

2) I don't have this either. Is there an error with the crash? Check the console, dmesg, /var/log/XFree86.0.log and /var/log/mythfrontend.log. What theme are you using?

3) Again, works for me. I don't know about proxies, have a look at the code or ask on irc on #mythtv-users channel.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but these look like MythTV issues rather than an issue with minimyth, and I haven't spent much time looking at MythTV code (haven't had to).

WRT MythDVD, first I want to get mythmusic working. Unfortunately it doesn't look like any of the DVD players work with the CLE266 MPEG2 decoding hardware (yet) so I'm not that motivated to get a jump on the DVD playing. Mplayer is installed for MythVideo , not sure if the way I built it will work for DVD playing.

Larry
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

All in all it's been working great, but perhaps you want to think the tftp loading of the config files through a little more. Perhaps you could just have it download and parse one config file and that would detail what other config files to try downloading and where to put them? Then if someone wants to have their fstab files in /tftpboot/PXELinux/configs/fstab and another guy wants them in /tftpboot/configs/mythtv/frontend/fstab they could. Something like:

/configs/mythtv/frontend/fstab /etc/fstab
/configs/mythtv/frontend/localtime /etc/localtime
I'm totally open to (more) suggestions on this. I just slammed together what I knew I needed, as well as a few others.

Sorry about making it try to get the files from $MYTHSERVER. I'll change it to the real tftp server on the next release (hopefully rc1).

The next major release (minimyth-0.5) will be an nfs-mounted root instead of a swelling cramfs image so all this customization goes away (or changes anyway). I don't want me or anyone else having to put tons of time into it.

Thanks to everyone that tried the beta.

Larry
Last edited by lmatter on Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
sw25481

Wow - (but no USB audio)

Post by sw25481 »

Wow. I tried minimyth-0.2rc2 and decided to stick to RedHat 9 on my Hush PC. What differance a few mohths makes. 0.4beta3 is great. The only thing that does not work for me is I have USB speekers, (those Mac Harmon Kardon ones). I'm compiling the kernel now so I can go NFS and find a fix. Perhaps I can use the pre script to unload the via modules and load the usb-audio ones.

Thanks, now how can I contribute, hmm?
monkeyBox

Post by monkeyBox »

Regarding the problem w/ mythmusic:

I had that same exact problem when trying to use mythmusic on my epia with a diskless gentoo-nfs system. I thought for sure it was nfs or something, but I was able to use madplay just fine from command-line. I never figured out what it was.

Larry: Any idea why we're getting that god-awful noise when we try to play a song in mythmusic?
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Well, as I mentioned earlier, the thread I read points to the audio driver. The fact that the sound card goes off the deep end kinda supports this. I did chat with someone on #epia that is using the same kernel and sound modules and was successful with mythmusic. However, they were on a nehemiah system and so could use default i686 libs that came with their distribution (don't remember which one it was).

We'll get there I'm sure, but I think this one is going to take some largish chunks of time which are kinda rare lately.

Larry
AndrewDV

Post by AndrewDV »

Hi Larry,

I wanted to give you an update on some of the problems I had with my EM6000 config. Specifically, the problem where the "Watch Recordings" functionality causing the X server to crash.

The crash happens whenever I use the "GANT" theme. If I switch to the "blue" theme, "Watch Recordings" does not crash. This may/may not have something to do with permissions.

Last night I noticed that the "Program Guide" is not pulling the data from the backend. Oddly enough, the various search tools work fine with pulling data. Any suggestions?

Thanks
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Andrew,

I'm not having any of these problems. I just switched to GANT, and the watch recordings screen works fine, pulls up all of my shows. I have transparent boxes enabled and fill method is "none".

Program Guide works too, although I discovered I don't have my BIOS clock set right. Maybe I should add NTP.

I am suspecting some bad data in your mythconverg schema. Please check all the logs/console and let me know what errors you see. It may also help to exit mythtv (don't shutdown), telnet in from another machine and do "xinit" then you might have a better chance at seeing an error message.

Larry
sw25481

NFS Root for 0.4Beta3

Post by sw25481 »

If anyone is using an NFS root with 0.4Beta3 and has a sec, could you pop across to the Howto forum and see if you can point me in the right direction, I'm banging my head against the wall here :-)

http://www.linpvr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22
sw25481

Via Drivers not the problem with MythMusic

Post by sw25481 »

Thought you'd be interested to know that I have a preapp script that unloads the Via audio modules and replaces them with a USB audio module. It works great for TV, (actually module loading is a bit dicky, looking forward to getting the NFS image working), but MythMusic bombs out. As I don't have loaded and am not using the via, audio drivers, I believe the problem is else where.

TV looking good though (DVB backend 17" Widescreen LCD on Hush PC frontend). Thanks for a great effort.
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Can you post the output of lsmod?

And can you elaborate on the issues you have with module loading. Now is the time for bug reports/feature requests (though the latter should go in the feature requests forum). Once I get mythmusic working I will probably release 0.4.

And yes, I am looking forward to the nfs version as well. Just want to put 0.4 to rest first.

Thanks,
Larry
sw25481

Here you go )

Post by sw25481 »

# lsmod
Module Size Used by Tainted: P
sr_mod 13400 0 (autoclean) (unused)
scsi_mod 56404 1 (autoclean) [sr_mod]
audio 40792 0
serial 45412 1 (autoclean)
supermount 77888 1 (autoclean)
translucency 34144 2
via_v4l_drv 114448 1
videodev 6080 4 [via_v4l_drv]
agpgart 13264 0 (unused)
via82cxxx 10280 1
soundcore 3620 2 [audio]

This is achieved by the following lines in preapp.script

#Load usb sound modules
modprobe -r viaudiocombo
modprobe -r ac97_codec
/usr/bin/tftp -g -r audio.o -l /tmp/audio.o $MYTHSERVER
insmod -sv /tmp/audio.o >> /var/log/messages

The problems I have with module loading is that if I try and load it from an NFS partition it will report audio.o not found, but I can run the command manually straight from the file after boot. As if the NFS share takes a while to get setup, (sounds daft I know). I have moved to tft'ing the module over, and it will load as a result, but TV viewing will fail with a message about no /dev/dsp. modprobe -r the module, then insmod it again and it works perfectly again. I am going to try and build a cramfs image with it included and see if that helps.

If I select something on the playlist and start Mytyhmusic it will crash the frontend, (no noise as you guys seem to suffer). The only output being

Setting master volume: : Invalid argumen
FillGraphicInfo!!
Illegal instruction

Waiting for X server to shut down

One other thing. The tftp of the config files does not work if I call them filename.hostname but works fine if I link filename to filename.hostname. My system does get a hostname set and the mounts in preapp which referance hostname work as expected. I think it must be something to do with the order. If I snoop the packets I see a request for fstab. followed by one for fstab

Thanks for the note about NFS. I assumed everybody else was using it and I was just doing something wrong. I'll concentrate on working with cramfs images.
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

WRT the lsmod, you are still using soundcore, so it's possible the problem is there. I really have no idea. Isaac has told me to try alsa, so I will do that, as it may be we want that anyway.

WRT module loading, that is strange. Perpahs the timing of these things is touchy. I'll take another look at the scripts to see what I can come up with.

NFS does show some errors on the console, which I looked up in google but didn't really get a definitive answer. It seems to work for me so I left it alone. But you could be on the right track about that. None of my nfs mounts get accessed until mythfrontend starts which might be enough of a delay to avoid any problems.

In other unrelated news, I added x11vnc to minimyth last night which works really well when trying to configure a frontend with no keyboard/mouse. I also addd lm_sensors. Both will be included in the next release.