Direct FB?

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

dhartman

Direct FB?

Post by dhartman »

I think it would make sense in a future release to look at the direct FB support which was just added to 0.14 MythTV and do away with the dependance to X. Should make things faster and require less disk space. I haven't had much of a chance to look into this (or even look if the directFB support that they added will work with the EPIA board, but IF it does... way simpler!).

Darrick
MrRed

Re: DirectFB

Post by MrRed »

Don't actually count on this working, yet!

I'm still getting segv's all over the place, and can't track them down. Anyone with success/failure reports??

On a related note, I've been thinking about DirectVNC (I think that's what it's called). Maybe run the frontend on the backend and a VNC server then display to DirectFB. Sound is a big issue though. Could be EsounD or arts have the solution...need to look into it more. If that can be solved, then almost any old thing could be used for mythfrontend (i.e. small, quiet, no moving parts, etc), all you would need would be

kernel+drivers+busybox+DirectFB+DirectVNC+<future sound solution>

== teeny tiny CF/ramdisk/nfsroot/linuxbios??

Steve

P.S. I'm the one who originally wrote the directfb patch. It was designed to work on my M9000.
dhartman

Post by dhartman »

MrRed wrote:Don't actually count on this working, yet!

I'm still getting segv's all over the place, and can't track them down. Anyone with success/failure reports??
Haven't tried it. I'm working on some other stuff unrelated to Myth on one of my EPIA boxes currently. I have the patched via stuff working. glx-gears gives a whopping 80fps at 640x480 res.
On a related note, I've been thinking about DirectVNC (I think that's what it's called). Maybe run the frontend on the backend and a VNC server then display to DirectFB. Sound is a big issue though. Could be EsounD or arts have the solution...need to look into it more. If that can be solved, then almost any old thing could be used for mythfrontend (i.e. small, quiet, no moving parts, etc), all you would need would be

kernel+drivers+busybox+DirectFB+DirectVNC+<future sound solution>

== teeny tiny CF/ramdisk/nfsroot/linuxbios??

Steve

P.S. I'm the one who originally wrote the directfb patch. It was designed to work on my M9000.
I would think that the network traffic to support the video over vnc would be hideous. It's interesting to me to cut X completely out of the equation

Darrick
jbors

Post by jbors »

MrRed wrote:Don't actually count on this working, yet!

You're not correct. DFB stuff works amasingly on EPIA-M. There is a project going on to port Freevo on that. It may cut size of any frontend similar to freevo and myth down to 5MB easily.

Just keep eye on that...
Bors/
MrRed

Post by MrRed »

You're not correct. DFB stuff works amasingly on EPIA-M
Oh, I agree 100%. But just not for mythtv yet.

Mplayer works great w/DFB output driver...mythtv too when it's not crashing.