minimyth-0.4beta - nfs booting and some feedback

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

Nem
Contributor

minimyth-0.4beta - nfs booting and some feedback

Post by Nem »

Larry et al,

I hope its okay to start a new thread, i think the other thread has got so big now that some of the feedback thats in there is hard to find. I particularly liked the helpful remark by markk about the tftp dir being not where you would expect. I was scratching my head and I didn't spot Markks comment at first as its kinda lost in the noise of all the other stuff.

Anyway I wanted to feedback about the new beta and the steps I took to make it work in a way I felt was right. Also I hope this may help you in moving towards the next release which i think your intending to be an NFS root based system.

First off, I did my usual hacking of the startup scripts to make the root dir remount rw and took out the dhcp line as that kills everything.

I also hacked out transluceny fs. Its a nice Idea, but I can't really see the point when the fs is writable. Can you tell me if its going to stay? I like the have the FS writable as I have to change the size of myth tv so the theme images get adjusted. This means that if the images aren't cached it takes ages for my box to boot. If it is going to stay can you bear in mind my requirement to operate without it. i will comment further down this post as to what needs to happen to support this.

BTW I think there is a typo in the servers.script to do with the PAL tv sed edit. I think you didn't terminate the s/ also the 'O' in XF86Config is large and should be small. So it should read...

/bin/cat /etc/X11/XF86Config.tmp | /bin/sed -e "s/NTSC/PAL&/" > /etc/X11/XF86Config

I ended up using the getremotefiles.script to xfer the XF86Config file in the end as I though it would save me setting it up again.

The next thing I changed was the getit.sh script. i just cleaned it up a bit and added an extra step to make sure the files where overwritten if they already exist. Which they may do in an NFS none translucency system.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
echo "Getting $1 from tftp server"

#remove the temp storage file if it exists
if test -e /tmp/trans
then
   rm /tmp/trans
fi

/usr/bin/tftp -g -r $1.$hostname -l /tmp/trans $3  >/dev/null 2>/dev/null || /usr/bin/tftp -g -r $1 -l /tmp/trans $3 >/dev/null 2>/dev/null

#see if we got a file and store it
if test -s /tmp/trans
then
   echo "looks like we got a file, copying it"
   cp -f /tmp/trans $2
else
   echo "file does not exist on tftp server"
fi

I then wanted to get my remote supported but rather than copy my files into place again, i thought i would customise the getremotefiles.script. I think this might be the way forward as i'm sure you don't want to customise Minimyth for everyones remote!

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
/etc/getit.sh fstab /etc/fstab $MYTHSERVER
/etc/getit.sh localtime /etc/localtime $MYTHSERVER
/etc/getit.sh XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config $MYTHSERVER
/etc/getit.sh preapp.script /tmp/preapp.script $MYTHSERVER
/etc/getit.sh lircrc /etc/configfiles/lircrc.pinnacle $MYTHSERVER
/etc/getit.sh lircd.conf.homebrew /etc/configfiles/lircd.conf.homebrew $MYTHSERVER
One other thought that springs to mind is the tftp idea could be used as a nice place to pull in other settings. So we could actually just have one config file that covers all the settings and pull this across at boot, rather than have to edit things on the filesystem and in the tftp default file as well.

I liked the inclusion of the preapp.script. Please can we also have one for the .xinitrc file too. As i like to run a vnc server on my box and this would be a great place to put stuff that has to work with X. I would suggest checking if it exists and calling it after irxevent &.

Another thing I would like to see added, is a program called logger. Its available on mandrake systems. As we now have a kind of syslog available, I think we should make more use of it and this is the tool to do it with. With it you can insert your own logging lines into the syslog, so it would make debugging the system much easier as everything could be in one place.

The last thing to say is I have noticed that the performance of this release does not seem as stable during watching TV, in fact for me on my DVB setup its pretty much unuseable. I think this is most likely due to the open source drivers, can you tell me what I need to do to swap back to the comercial drivers? Would it be possible to have this as a switchable option in the GAR version of myth, or do you want to go open source only ?

Anyway, I think that about covers it. Thanks for your continued hard work Larry, and good luck with the chroot enviroment. Thats going to be a huge peice of work, but its the right way to go and will reduce the support requirement for MiniMyth in the long run.

Regards,

Darren
markk

Post by markk »

On the stability front, I'm finding that it's pretty good generally, but tends to freeze with a blank screen when I exit from live tv or a recording (probably around 40% of the time). I can still telnet in and x is still alive, but the frontend has died.

Is this what you are referring to?

Cheers

Mark
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Hi Nem,

The next beta cut will have:
1) fixed the typo with XCOnfig
2) added lm_sensors
3) added x11vnc.

I really like the x11vnc. It starts up automatically when the frontend starts so you can just vnc to it. Great for changing the setup on keyboard-less frontends. Even though I am passing it the -forever flag it sill quits after you exit the vnc session, but you can always telnet in and restart it.

Translucency. Not sure if it will be in the next release. I have multiple frontends so I may want them to mount the same base image, and then use translucency to overwrite some config files. In any case, I'll try to make it easily configured out. Note that with this release, I nfs mount the /root/.mythtv directory so that it is writable (and thus caches the images).

getit.sh. I'll add your redirection (I was wondering how to do that in ash). Shell script writing is not my forte (obviously) so I appreciate any help in that area. The files do currently get overwritten when using translucency. I don't know if I will add the other steps. Remember that you can do all that stuff in the preapp.script (or another script that preapp uploads).

As far as lirc config files go, preapp is the place to do that too (though I think I need to fix lirc.script to have a do-nothing option). Just have getit.sh put .lircrc in /root, and lircd.conf in /etc.

The preapp.script is meant to cover any other settings, steps, etc, not covered by the default install. If something in the rest of the setup is preventing you from customizing using just this script then please let me know and I'll try to rearange things. And you can overwrite .xinitrc too now (it's now in /root).

I'll take a look at logger.

As far as the drivers go, I have not had a problem but I am not using DVB. If you want to revert to the Via ones, you have to use the *exact* kernel that came with minimyth-0.2 (or you can try to play the objcopy game). I want to stay with opensource drivers now that we have them and try to improve them. You may want to raise your concerns on the unichrome sf.net site.

Markk, I am occasionally seeing the blank screen on livetv exit as well. It may be fixed by an upgrade to mythtv, but I don't want to do that yet. I think I should release with a release version of mythtv.

One last note about releases. Right now the "official" beta release is rel-0.4beta3. But I occasionally upload "cuts" of the next release without announcing them, partly as a backup, and partly for a few brave souls to try. For example, there exists a rel-0.4beta4 directory now with a new rootfs in it. Since I have not announced it (and this does not count as an announcement), I tend to update it and *not* change the version number. You can think of this as CVS. Once I announce it I don't touch it. Feel free to try these releases but understand that they may not work at all.

(whew)
Larry
markk

Post by markk »

Larry

Nice to know it's not just me seeing these freezes.

I checked out cvs this morning and updated my backend and 'upgraded' minimyth-0.2 - I'm now seeing perfect live tv playback with streams up to 15 Mbs/s - watched a couple of hours of live sport this afternoon and by the end minimyth was still only the orginal 2 seconds or so behind realtime. Don't know what they've done to fix it - but I'm very pleased!

Only trouble is I'm now seeing pauses/jitter from recorded programs - sounds like the same problem you had previously. I'l try your solution - i.e. delete all the recordings - and see if that fixes it. (Could be a database/version issue)

regards

Mark
hagan

Post by hagan »

Hi Larry,
I am just testing your beta4 release. It works great so far. I was especially happy about the lmsensor stuff, because on the hardware side I am trying to silence my M10000 system and this is very hard without temperatur feedback. Now it works great. Also the vnc thing is a great idea because in the end, my system will be keyboardless.

I have small problems with this translucent fs. If eg my later loaded XFconfig file is smaller than my original one, the resulting XFconfig has the same size as the original one, resulting in a config file which has the new one at the beginning and chunks of the old one at the end. This results in an error starting X. In the moment my workaround is to have the new one the same size as the old one.
Is this a bug or a feature of the tranlucent FS?

Regards
Marcus

PS: Could you please put a date to the betas, so its easier to track if something has changed, or maybe its possible to activate the date in the webserver showing the directory listing.
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Hagan,

Thanks for trying beta4 du jour. I'll try to figure out how to get my webhosting service to display the timestamps. Perhaps there is some .htfoo file I can put in there. Excuse my lack of www savvy-ness.

Special note/disclaimer wrt lm_sensors. I do not know if the temperature is accurate. Use at your own risk, don't come to me if you fry your CPU. Ok, now that that is out of the way...

WRT translucency, that sounds like a nasty bug. Guess I will use the rest of nem's script to make sure it gets blown away before copying (thanks nem). Just curious, are you using pal, and are you specifying TV=PAL on the kernel append line and then trying to upload XF86Config? Just wondering if it gets overwritten twice and maybe that's the issue. If so, trying removing TV=PAL and just let it upload.

In other news, I *finally* figured out why I keep getting stuttering during recorded programs and not in LiveTV. Well, I know how to make it happen, I'm baffled as to why. It turns out it's not deleting the nuv files that fixes it, it was starting with a fresh db because that wiped out my gui settings. If I leave the gui settings as defaults, everything is fine. As soon as I try to shrink it in the X & Y directions, it stutters. Didn't have a lot of time to play with this to see if it's only X or only Y, but I confirmed it.

Larry
Nem
Contributor

Post by Nem »

Larry,

I have got a strange problem with my remote control when I update the the beta release of Minimyth up to MythTV CVS.

Basically it seems the ixrevent stops working. My remote is working okay as IRW shows me the key presses. It seems like irxevent is broken somehow as its not running when I do a PS on my MiniMyth box.

if I try to run it manually I get..
# irxevent
irxevent: could not connect to socket
irxevent: No such file or directory

which is odd. Any ideas what I could be breaking ?

I know the lircrc file is now in tmp.

The home dir for root is now /root and there is a link from .lircrc file to the one in tmp. All of that seems fine.

BTW. I think the temperatures in sensors look about right, unfortunately i dont have a thermometer to check them. I will see if work will lend me one.

Regards,

Darren
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Actually, the lircrc file being in /tmp is a holdover from before I made /root the userdir (and made it writable). I'll fix that so the .lircrc file is properly in /root.

But anyway, I think it is complaining about the /tmp/lirc socket not being there. So I would check that. And if you rebult lirc, note that I ran configure.sh --with-dev-dir=/tmp (not sure of exact option name) so it would look for the socket in /tmp instead of /dev (since /tmp is writable).

The temps looked about right to me too, just don't want anyone depending on them and frying the CPU.

Larry
hagan

Post by hagan »

Hi,
I can not reproduce the translucent FS bug anymore. Too much playing around, I am afraid.
But I noticed the TV=PAL stuff is still not working in the newest beta. As Nem
alreay pointed out in the server.script file, the sed statment is not correct: It reads "s/NTSC/PAL" where it should read "s/NTSC/PAL/". You see the trailing slash is missing.

Regards
Marcus
hagan

Post by hagan »

Hi,
another small buglet in the betas: The correct option for x11vnc to not exit when the client exits is -many instead of -forever. This is wrong on the website of x11vnc. If you do a x11vnc -help you see the correct option.

Regards
Marcus
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Ah you are right. I skimmed over nem's comment about XCOnfig and thought, "I already know about that one..."

Both will be fixed in the next cut.

Larry
Hairlocks
Contributor

Post by Hairlocks »

It's not possible to fry the M10000 processor. My friend has tried, it has the same techonlogy as a PIV. it underclocks when it gets too hot, (about 90 C I think) and gives very poor performance, and the smell of burning dust. He turned of the fan and heavily loaded it for a few hours.