mythmusic woes in minimyth-0.4beta

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

lmatter
Contributor

mythmusic woes in minimyth-0.4beta

Post by lmatter »

I tried starting with a fresh minimyth-0.2 and just copying over the latest mythtv stuff (so, using Via drivers, older -ac3 kernel, etc.). When I tried to use mythmusic, instead of crashing it complained about not finding /dev/asdp. And, it's correct, on minimyth-0.2 (and 0.4) there is no /dev/adsp device (and no corresponding node under /dev/sound).

Now, Isaac has told me, just use Alsa, your problems will go away. And I will probably eventually do that, but I'm trying to find out more of the cause of the problem first.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with sound drivers, so I have been googling around. It seems that the /dev/asdp is a secondary PCM device that handles "multimode". But I can only find reference to that when folks are talking about ALSA, not OSS.

So I'm just putting this up here in case there are any experts that can guide me towards a solution.

Thanks,
Larry
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

I finally convinced myself that the problem *is* the oss driver and built alsa 0.9.6. After a lot of trial and error I got the modules loaded in the correct order and I was able to play a song with mythmusic.

"And there was much rejoicing"

However, the sound has a lot of crackling, almost a buzing. I have seen a lot of posts on this so I'm sure it is solvable.

I know almost nothing about alsa so if anyone has any specific needs (like utils to be included, libs needed, 6 channel, spdif) let me know what you need soon. I would like to wrap this release up.

Larry
dna

Post by dna »

Tried googling for /dev/asdp and didn't get any hits...very strange. The output on my laptop running alsa:

/dev/sound:
audio dsp mixer sequencer sequencer2

I'll toy around with alsa a little tomorrow.

Dan
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

don't bother. I have mythmusic working using alsa and I fixed the crackling. I'm just trying to get import cd working and I'll upload a release candidate. The visualizations work too, but are awfully slow on an ME6000. They are still nice to look at though.

woohoo.

Larry
Nem
Contributor

Post by Nem »

Larry,

What was the cause of the crackling ?

Regards,

Darren
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »