minimyth as a backend too?

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

mceachrw

minimyth as a backend too?

Post by mceachrw »

i have all but given up on running the backend/diskless frontend type setup. minimyth works fine on the frontend, but i cannot keep the backend stable. the backend is also my main desktop, so this doesn't work to well for me. i will probably go back to windows there because it 'just works' for me.

anyway, i now have a m6000, pvr250, 160gb drive, and a wireless ir keyboard that i would like to put to use. i have studied the gentoo and debian howto links from viaarena on making a standalone setup. more than half the work in those is getting the hardware working. the other half is software setup. all in all, they look painful.

knoppmyth has potential too, but the developers do not have epia hardware to test. freevix or sagetv might work, but i don't think either can do hardware mpeg decoding at this time. mythtv seems like the only option for the m6000.

since most of hardware work is done on minimyth, except ivtv, is it feasible to add the required software to run a backend? netbooting would probably be out of the question, but i plan on putting a drive in the machine anyway. is there any interest in this? if so, i can help out about an hour or so a night.
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

The next release of minimyth (0.5) may be able to do this. It will be a bigger distro that will be NFS mounted on diskless clients instead of running in ramdisk. So it shouldn't be hard to boot from a harddrive, cd, cf, papertape, whatever.

But, I'm not sure if it will include mythbackend or not. I would like to look into a diskless slave if I can raise the $$ for another PVR card. In that case, it could also work with a disk. You might want to make it not depend on dhcp in that case.

Before this plan gets too big though, my focus for this distribution is just for multimedia/set-top-box applications (call it embedded if you like). I don't intend for it to be used for other stuff. KnopMyth is probably better suited to that and it wouldn't be hard (I don't think) to get the MPEG support incorporated there. Having said that, this is open source so anyone that doesn't like this direction can take it and build what they want into it, which is exactly how minimyth got started.

BTW, not sure how this will help stability of the backend unless your desktop machine doesn't play nice with the PVR card. Good luck.

Larry
mceachrw

Post by mceachrw »

i do not think the stability on my backend machine is myth/pvr250 related. in fact, myth has worked perfect. i think it has something to do with gdm, x, and kde 3.2 not getting along. it could also be apt-get break-my-fedora related.

anyway, my main question was about integrating myth backend and making the embedded device standalone. i did not want the box to rely on another pc at all and it's only function would be mythtv and mythmusic. sounds like it's not in the short term plan.