MiniMyth-0.4rc1

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

lmatter
Contributor

MiniMyth-0.4rc1

Post by lmatter »

Well, even though I haven't fixed importing CD's in MythMusic, everything else is working (I think) so I've decided to make a release candidate. PLEASE try it out and report issues in this thread.

Thanks!
Larry
Last edited by lmatter on Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo »

Is the current Beta the RC1 or did you cut a new image to be RC1?

Just joined the group, great work to you and the core of contributors.
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

There are probably very minor changes between beta4 (not beta3) and rc1. If you just downloaded beta4 this morning then that is good enough to get started.
slifox

Post by slifox »

I just updated everything to this 0.4rc1 and I'm actually having segfault problems (again! bad dejavu :( ).

I upgraded from mythtv 0.12 so I just wiped the entire db clean and started over. Are there any special options I should check?

I'd be glad to get this into gdb and figure out the problem, but I can't seem to get mythfrontend to dump its core... did you not compile with debug symbols? My /usr is mounted via NFS (I took care of the small dependencies on /usr in scripts before preapp.script is loaded to mount /usr), and mounted readwrite... is there something else I need to do (busybox doesn't seem to have a bash-style ulimit command to contorl core dumps...)?

Additionally, did you use any special configure options when you built mythfrontend or any of the modules? Could you post your config.h or any code mods you did?

And finally, I was getting some errors loading mythmusic; it said it couldn't load libmad.so (I disabled mythmusic to see if it was causing the segfault, but its not).

Thanks for making it thru this post :)
-alex
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

I stripped every executable before I made the image. I built mythtv by changing settings.pro. First I change pentiumpro to i586 and then I enable the VIA SLICE stuff. That's about it.

Generally when I build something I specify --target=i586 when I run configure.

I did try this release on a Nehemiah and an Ezra (ME6000) AND an MEII 6000 so it should run on just about any EPIA M.

I would rebuild MythTV with debugging enabled and copy that into the minimyth-0.4rc1 tree. You will probably need to do this for programs/mythfrontend as well as the (four, I believe) libraries on which it depends: libs/{libavformat,libavcodec,libmyth,libmythtv}

Sorry for all the trouble but I really did try to run everything on multiple boxes to make sure it worked. Of course I only guarantee the precrammed image :-)

Good luck,
Lar
slifox

Post by slifox »

Did you use any special options on your frontends (deinterlace, etc)? I started with a new db and am running the rootfs you provide.

I tested my backend using a 0.14 frontend on a different (non-epia) machine and it works alright...

Also, my backend does NOT have an MPEG2 encoder card... have you tested minimyth 0.4rc1 using non-mpeg2 streams (I think the native is RTJPEG)?

Any ideas would be very appreciated.

-alex

UPDATE: Not sure if this means anything (it probably does) but when I try to play recordings on my epia with minimyth-0.4rc1 (they play fine on another, non-epia comp) it gives me:

Error: /data/mythtv/videocache/1012_20040306180900_20040306183000.nuv file not found
Error: File missing
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

I don't have deinterlace enabled because I don't think it matters when watching on a TV. Also, according the the setup help, it will crash your system if you use it and you don't have SSE support. But I tried it anyway and it didn't crash. So either someone ported the deinterlace code to 3dnow or it is automatically disabled when not supported.

I don't have any other special options either, not jitter reduction or anything like that.

I only watch MPEG2 content as that is all I have right now.

Regarding your update, I wonder if the frontend expects to see the content over NFS rather than have it streamed from the backend. Did you enable master backend override in setup?

Larry
slifox

Post by slifox »

I'm afraid I'm genuinely stumped. I've tried everything with little avail. I already fixed the error with not finding recordings; so now it just crashes when I try to play one.

I've tried compiling my own mythfrontend but I can't seem to get it to even run without segfaulting. First there were dependencies on libXv, now I get the following error:

mythfrontend: relocation error: /usr/local/lib/libmyth-0.14.so.0: undefined symbol: _ZN9QGroupBox10setEnabledEb

I've compiled to your specifications (I edited settings.pro to use VIA SLICE, optimized it for i586, and ran configure with '--target=i586'). I copied all the appropriate libs from my source tree to minimyth.

Additionally, when loading X I get this:

modprobe: Can't locate module via
[drm] failed to load kernel module "via"

Did you forget to include the 'via' kernel module? (Or is that just the hardware mpeg2 decoding module thats not fully working yet)

Thanks again
-alex
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

_ZN9QGroupBox10setEnabledEb
Using gentoo? BigA is also having this problem.

This is the problem with the current setup; I think unless you are using Mandrake (or similar) you will have trouble building individual components. When I get the GAR stuff working again it shouldn't matter what distro you're on. So I wouldn't waste a lot of time on that. When I get a chance I'll build debug version.

The via module should not be needed for mythfrontend. As I mentioned I am using this exact image on a number of EPIA M's and it works on all of them, so I don't think it's a simple matter of a missing file. It is probably something different about your environment.

Make sure your BIOS is set for 32M video memory and that you are using a 256M (or larger) simm, 128 is problematic I've been told. And since it looks like you are using gentoo you might as well run a ramtest.

You can also set MMNOXINIT=true in the pxe append line and check for fatal errors after minimyth finishes booting. There are a lot of errors/warnings that spew out that are not fatal (X stuff mostly, but sometimes NFS spew as well). Do an lsmod and check for a reasonable set of modules (alsa, translucency, via_v4l_drv, etc).

Then you can try xinit at the console (or in a telnet session) and perhaps you will get more information. BTW, where do you get the segfaults? Is it random or always when you try a particular operation?

Larry
slifox

Post by slifox »

Thanks for the informative reply.

I'm actually compiling on debian, but my glibc and gcc versions are both ok.

Regarding the memory problem: yes I have problems that were identical to this with minimyth-0.12 when I used only 128mb of ram. Now I'm getting the same problems with 256mb ram (32mb for the video card). I've tried running 'top -d 0' while mythfrontend tries to play live tv and I didn't notice the memory usage go up that high before it crashed... I'll run a memtest asap

I've been playing around with it from a telnet console and I don't see any particular errors that might relate to the segfaulting.

It crashes whenever I try to play video from the mythbackend; live tv or recorded.

-alex

UPDATE: I let memtest86 run on its default tests (I think tests 1-7) for a few hours (a few repetitions of each test) and got no errors... Maybe 256mb isn't enough? I see no reason why it shouldn't be, especially since I've tried modifying the image so it mounts /usr from NFS, making the actual rootfs take only 3.3mb...
Last edited by slifox on Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

well in that case it could be truly broken for non-mpeg2 streams. Can anyone else confirm whether or not this works on a MPEG4/RTJPEG?

I have an older BTTV card but it's not installed in the system. I'll try to put that in this week sometime.

Larry
teksyc0m

Post by teksyc0m »

Larry,

Just got my "new" Myth server up and running, a pentium 200 with 128 Mb of ram and a PVR 250. I've got an EPIA 9000 frontending it with MiniMyth-0.4rc1 and everything seems to be working for me.

Adding the VNC server was a nice touch. The wife was very impressed when I started MythMusic from the other room. I added an fstab file and NFS mounts fine giving me access to music, pictures, and video from my other server.

The only thing not right is the time, but I believe you addressed that with the localtime file. Just need to figure out what goes in that file.

Also, I had to download the beta and rc files multiple times because of failed downloads. Actually they never failed, they just stopped downloading. I figured it was a problem on my end until others mentioned having the same problem. I also did a chmod on the files after downloading, but this may not have been necessary, because the problem may have been due to the failed downloads.

Thanks,

Tek
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Tek,

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure about the failed downloads, but I'll keep an eye on it. The last week or so the server I'm hosted on has seemed a little flakey. I do occasionally download my own stuff from there and I have not had a problem. Be sure to make use of the md5sums if you suspect a problem.

WRT time, what I use for the localtime file is the localtime file on my server. But that seems to expect the realtime clock to be set to GMT, which I'm guessing my "production" frontend is not as the guide is always hours off. Since this box is keyboardless, it's a pain to change the BIOS settings.

I tried getting ntp working but it was a struggle and I gave up. Then I stumbled on a program called netdate. Very small and works great. Just give it the IP of an NTP server and it will set your clock. I'll include it in the next release.

This release is shaping up to be everything I need. One last problem I'm having is that any access of my cdrom drive crashes mythmusic (mythgallery can import from it ok). Anyone else try to play a cd with mythmusic?

Larry
Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo »

I use RTJpeg and MPEG4 (M10000/ezra).
Beta3 could playback my recorded streams fine, RC1 would seg fault.
Live TV testing was not available as my backend sucked.

I have just upgraded my backend so I will need to do more testing tonight.
I did do successful liveTV using Beta3 but will have to try swapping back to RC1 and see if problems go away.

I'm running the images stock with only LIRC config files being pushed over via the script.

Ed.

UPDATE: Tried the RC1 before going to work. Segfaults on live TV for me, with the MPEG4 capture settings. Don't have a PVR-x50 to test mpeg2.
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Interesting. The main difference between the two was switching to alsa. I also changed a few other libraries trying to get mythmusic to work before moving to alsa.

I'll take a closer look at the differences between beta3 and rc1 and try to cook up something. I installed my bttv card yesterday but haven't had time to configure it.

Larry