MiniMyth-0.4rc1

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo »

Oops all those should say BETA 4 not 3.

I downloaded the beta about 1-2 days before rc1 came out.

Update: MythMusic worked fine as RC1
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

I was able to reproduce the segfault with my bttv card. I'll be looking into it.

UPDATE: It seems to be alsa. By editing the loadmods.script file you can revert back to the old OSS drivers and then it will play MPEG4 (but then you don't get mythmusic).

I'll try updating to a newer version of alsa.

I'm also playing around with having a lightweight http server on the mythfrontend that spews the output of sensors. No real reason for it except I thought it would be neat.

Larry
Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo »

I like the idea of the web server for sensors, I'm looking at removing the fan from my m10000 and would like to watch the temp.

It's running with a lot of airspace, so I want to see if it starts to overheats before I do it. Are you looking at using tux?
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

I used webfsd. First thing that came up with google. Seems to work ok.

Larry
slifox

Post by slifox »

Good thing it wasn't just me ;)
I set it to load the OSS modules instead of ALSA now and, lo and behold, it works fine :D

Thanks for looking into this..

Also, I'm now looking into getting mythdvd in there; I've got the module all setup and installed and tomarrow I'm going to try to get mplayer and all the required fonts/configs/codecs/etc for it... do you have any suggestions?

I saw you mention that you probably wouldn't be interested in mythdvd until the hardware mpeg2 decoding supported mplayer. I'm not sure if mplayer used the hw decoding in minimyth-0.2 but I didn't have any problems playing DVDs on my M10000.

-alex
mceachrw

have a look at monkey

Post by mceachrw »

i have been toying with the idea of building 'maximyth'. it would be a trimmed down version of slackware targeting the epia m running mythtv, frontend and backend. i'll probably start building off the work done on mini slax here: http://slax.linux-live.org/ and install the epia specific stuff and myth. then make the whole thing a live cd with the option of running live, from ram, or install to disk. you would obviously have to write via nfs or smbfs to make it diskless.

anyway, the point was that this guy uses the monkey http daemon. it looks fairly light and is capable of working with php. have a look.
http://monkeyd.sourceforge.net/
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

I envision 0.5 will be a sort of maximyth as well (though I don't care for that name). Minimyth in its current form is pretty much where I envisioned it a year ago so I have to make a new vision.

I still want the focus to be a set-top box that just runs stuff for the TV (and/or stereo) as apposed to a more general purpose frontend/firewall/mailserver/seti@home/whatever.

BTW, don't let this stop you from trying to build your own based on Slackware. You are not the first person to suggest that.

I will check out monkey http and slax.

Larry
mceachrw

Post by mceachrw »

i don't care for maximyth myself, but you get the point. i was thinking more along the lines of medpia, but with the d and p merged into one letter. it would be called media, but you'd still you the reference to myth with the m and epia, well, with the e(d)pia.

i planned to give qt embedded and directfb a try. as of now, the hardware decoder is not enabled but i believe directfb takes some of the load off the cpu. i have read posts on the myth tv mail-list of 50-65% cpu usage on an me9000. i can't remember the details of the test file. anyway, just wanted to try and see if the me6000 could handle it. has anyone else tried this?
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

OK, upgrading alsa solved the problem with MPEG4 playback. I'll be getting a new rc out soon.

Larry
bigA

Post by bigA »

Hi all, I have a question about MythVideo and MythMusic. Do you need to mount your music and video directories from the server to make them work on the frontend? I was under the impression that this was not needed and that they streamed like the tv does.

Thanks for fixing the problem with ALSA Larry, I was just going to post on that. RC1 works fine on the ME6K, but not on the 9K or 10K. I wait for your next release.

Thanks for all the great work.

Cheers...
------------------------------------------
We Live to Survive our Paradoxes!
ttabbal

Post by ttabbal »

bigA wrote:Hi all, I have a question about MythVideo and MythMusic. Do you need to mount your music and video directories from the server to make them work on the frontend? I was under the impression that this was not needed and that they streamed like the tv does.

Thanks for fixing the problem with ALSA Larry, I was just going to post on that. RC1 works fine on the ME6K, but not on the 9K or 10K. I wait for your next release.

Thanks for all the great work.

Cheers...

Having just done this, yes, you need to mount the storage directories for the music and video files. I don't mind this as NFS is probably better at serving files than Myth would be, and it frees the developers to work on the more important things that Myth needs. NFS is easy to set up on MiniMyth. I just moved all the various media directories on the server into /exports/media and changed all the settings on the server machine. Then just set up /exports/media to be RW over NFS and told MiniMyth where to find it. Fire up the frontend, go to setup, and change all the paths to point to the new media share. Then all will be well. It's a little more setup, and could stand to be automated better, but it works.
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

There is an rc2 you can try - I haven't announced it yet as I may still change it (usual thing).

http://linpvr.org/rel-0.4rc2/README-0.4rc2.html

It has the alsa fix and a few other little tweaks. New stuff in bold.

BTW, What part of rc1 doesn't work on the 10K?

Thanks,
Larry
hagan

Post by hagan »

Hi Larry,
how do you set the hostname. Is there an append option?

Marcus
bigA

Post by bigA »

Thanks Larry I will try tonight.

Looks like the problem with the 10K was with alsa. I did not dive to much into it, but the drivers did not seem to be fully loading. I noticed the post above about backing up to oss so I was going to give that a try. I will try RC2 instead to see if the alsa fix solves the problems. I will also check out the other updates.

p.s. I am also upgrading to the latest CVS versions of myth.

p.s.s. They wife likes the large fonts you chose to use in minimyth.
------------------------------------------
We Live to Survive our Paradoxes!
slifox

Post by slifox »

Hagan, the hostname is set by DHCP... your dhcpd config file recognizes the machine by its MAC address and assigns it the appropriate IP and hostname using that.

-alex
hagan wrote:Hi Larry,
how do you set the hostname. Is there an append option?

Marcus