I'm attempting to build DVD support into my copy of Minimyth

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo »

Okay so being a glutton for punishment I have decided to boot via NFS.

This was suprisingly easy (Larry I bet you wasted more time with CRAMFS than you had to)... so far.

I have a few things to iron out still, but have only spent about an hour on it.
- The rootfs seems to be readonly even though it's specified not to be. This may be all this busy box stuff or some of the kernel settings.
- The load mods script runs but seems to be very slow. It makes me wonder if they actually run in the standard install.

To get around the RO filesystem I hav stuck with the TMPFS for now.

If anyone is interested in what it took so far, I can start a new thread. So far i have been able to use all of Larry's stuff (kernel and tarball) and modify the dhcpd.conf and PXE settings to get it going.

I definately think this is the way to go... I can see the whole system being much simpler to customize for most users. However if you are a knoppix setup, you may still not have the linux skills to move around well enough.

Ed
slifox

Post by slifox »

Ed, did you boot the entire system off of NFS? How did you do this? I'm only mounting /usr off NFS...

-alex
Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo »

Yeah the whole thing.

I couldn't get X to comeup until I added the tmpfs. I still have to fix the readonly part.

I'll start a new thread on the details.
slifox

Post by slifox »

Did you set NFS to mount readwrite? that would help your X problem without having to use tmpfs...
Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo »

Yep.
CHecked my exports, and my mounts both show "rw"

I'm not too worried about it yet, didn't play with it last night... all the details are here:
http://linpvr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204
Nem
Contributor

Post by Nem »

Chaps,

Just a quick note aout DVD support, I have been using vexp quite sucessfully. I found with mplayer I didnt get the DVD menus, so usually I couldn't access the rest of the content on my DVD. I also found with XIne playback wasn't always smooth. (I have an M10000 Nehemiah BTW). So bite the bullet and install it, its worth it.

Anyway, if you compile it in here is a good command line to use /usr/local/bin/viaexp -fg -B --no-logo --no-splash dvd:/

For the database Haxors out there, here is a nice mysql command line commands to replace your DVD commands without too much messing around. (Change myth1 to your hostname of your Frontend.)

UPDATE settings SET data = "/usr/local/bin/viaexp -fg -B --no-logo --no-splash dvd:/" where value = "DVDPlayerCommand" AND hostname like "myth1%"

Regards,

Darren