LinuxBIOS

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

lmatter
Contributor

LinuxBIOS

Post by lmatter »

This thread is for LinuxBIOS on EPIA M.

At this point I have built LinuxBIOS and configured it with Etherboot as the payload. Etherboot then downloaded a kernel over dhcp, and that kernel booted and tried to nfs mount its root partition (which I hadn't yet created).

LinuxBIOS on EPIA M is still in the early stages. Give it a month and it will probably be a lot more useful.

At the moment I do not have VGA working, for example. All output from booting is over the serial port.

Anyways, I havent' spent any more time on it since my getting the above working. I will probably play with it more after I get the next release major release of minimyth rolling.
monkeyBox

Post by monkeyBox »

I'm a little uneducated on linuxbios. What other possible advantages are there from using linuxbios on the EPIA-M (other than faster booting)? Does linux bios completely replace EPIA-M's bios? Could we make a nice linuxbootsplash screen from the time you hit the power button? That would be really sweet...
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

LinuxBIOS, as I understand it, is a bit of a misnomer. It does replace the BIOS, but it is not the kernel. It enables RAM and other hardware initialization and then looks for something to load and run; which could be a kernel if you have room in your BIOS chip, or it could be etherboot or FILO.

But in answer to your question, my hope is that it would very quickly enable the VGA (and TV out) and put up a splash screen. I still have a lot to learn about it. I put it on hold for a bit to get a few other things done; also it looked like the code for EPIA M was in flux so I thought I would wait it out a bit.

Larry
dhartman

Post by dhartman »

Larry,

Any updates on the linuxbios? I've been interested in the project for well over a year but haven't found the time to experiment with it. I really need my carpc to boot faster. 60 seconds is tolerable with a TV system. It becomes less tolerable when you want to get in your car for a 5 minute trip.

For the next several months I think my video needs will be met with transcoded mythtv recorded cable programs that a friend is transferring to a new 250GB hard drive I picked up for $130 (after $30 rebate) from Office Max. Recently moved to the sticks where we have no cable tv and I'm short on funds for a dish right now

Darrick
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

No progress on that - I'm sort of waiting until they finish getting EPIA M support into their V2 line. And I've been swamped anyway. And believe it or not I'm still actively working on part 2 of the article on building MiniMyth, but I only get in about a paragraph a night.

Larry
ab

Question concerning EPIA-M motherboard

Post by ab »

Hi.

I've getting in phase of purchasing EPIA-M motherboard for LinuxBIOS
project. From your point of view what are the pro's and contra's for
running nodes under LB? What is your working experience with them? :)

P.S. EPIA-M at 1GHz. I want to throw away cooler and give passive cooling a chance. Is it worth it?
P.P.S. How EPIA-M 9000, 10000 suitable for DVB-S cards?
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

If you are interested in LinuxBIOS, you might want to check this out:

http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/free-bios.html

Larry