HD MiniMyth on DG45FC

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

azawacki

HD MiniMyth on DG45FC

Post by azawacki »

I have just got this motherboard working under Fedora 9 (it needs a 2.6.26 kernel or newer.) The intention of this machine is to be an HD HTPC capable of H.264 playback (from a future HD-PVR 1212, and if possible, blu-ray.) Now that the machine is working, I need to load mythtv on it, but my backend is runing .20.2 and will stay like that until .22 is released with PVR 1212 support. In the meantime, I have one master backend and 4 working frontends.

My intention is actually two-fold. A repeated problem is that people don't like to upgrade working systems, yet at this time, I cannot bring a new frontend only using packages to load a new .20.2 frontend. I current have a Via system running minimyth currently, an older AMD frontends, an older Intel, and this Core 2 Duo (3Ghz.) I'm thinking to use minimyth for my version control, and make three or four builds to support my systems.

I've successfully compiled minimyth from "source" previously as one of my boxes has a video card that requires a legacy driver. Additionally, I will need to add enough 3D support or libraries to make StepMania useable (the only thing I use MythGame to run.)

My priorities:
1. Prepare minimyth with the latest kernel (2.6.27.5) and MythTV 0.22.2 optimized for the Core 2 Duo.
2. Document the process of creating new backends for older versions of minimyth for maintenance (as in my case.)
3. Install and make working StepMania on the platform.
4. Recompile the sources in step 1 optimized for Via.
5. Recompile the sources in step 2 optimized for AMD (perhaps 2 cards because different legacy NVidia drivers may be required.)
6. Determine if network booting performance is acceptable, or install on local hard drives.

As Intel support grows stronger, I am hoping that HDMI + Audio will be working with no problem, but we'll see how we progress. I'm not as hopeful about the H.264 hardware accelerations, I think they've been working on VA API for a couple of years, and it is still vapor-ware.

Given this plan:
1. Is anyone else interested in the outcome?
2. Are there any suggestions that I need to consider or issues to take into account with this plan?

Anthony
Pablo
Site Admin

Re: HD MiniMyth on DG45FC

Post by Pablo »

Additionally, I will need to add enough 3D support or libraries to make StepMania useable (the only thing I use MythGame to run.)
What 3D support is currently missing?
1. Prepare minimyth with the latest kernel (2.6.27.5) and MythTV 0.22.2 optimized for the Core 2 Duo.
I assume that you mean the 2.6.26.5 kernel. Is there something in this kernel that this hardware needs?

I assume that you mean MythTV 0.20.2. Since multiple people have needed MiniMyth with MythTV 0.20, I have added MythTV 0.20 to the MiniMyth build system. As I cannot test it (other than build it), I hope that it works.

I suspect the x86_64 build should be reasonably optimized for the Core 2 Duo.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.
azawacki

Post by azawacki »

Pablo wrote:
Additionally, I will need to add enough 3D support or libraries to make StepMania useable (the only thing I use MythGame to run.)
What 3D support is currently missing?
Actually, there may not be anything missing. In the past, I've not tried to add stepmania to minimyth. It may just work.
Pablo wrote:
I assume that you mean the 2.6.26.5 kernel. Is there something in this kernel that this hardware needs?
:oops: I thought I proof-read this message many times, but I guess not close enough. You are correct, the 2.6.26.5 kernel. The 2.6.26 kernel added support for the 82567LM Gigabit Ethernet Controller. In order to bootstrap my fedora 9 system, I downloaded this kernel and compiled the e1000e module against my running kernel and luckily it worked.
Pablo wrote: I assume that you mean MythTV 0.20.2. Since multiple people have needed MiniMyth with MythTV 0.20, I have added MythTV 0.20 to the MiniMyth build system. As I cannot test it (other than build it), I hope that it works.

I suspect the x86_64 build should be reasonably optimized for the Core 2 Duo.
Again, you are correct, though I had expected Minimyth to build against 20 since I seem to remember when I last built it minimyth supported both 20 and 19...

I've browsed through the build system, and would agree... The only thing missing for me at this time is the updated kernel. Minimyth already includes the 2.4.2 intel video driver that supports the G45 chipset.

Do you forsee any issues with SMP? Or are the items like ffmpeg already compiled with multi-core support?

It's fairly clear to me already that this rig is going to have difficulty decoding h.264 content, though I still have a lot of configuration to do, and bugs in the intel driver to work around. This motherboard suffers from this bug:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17460
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

azawacki wrote:The 2.6.26 kernel added support for the 82567LM Gigabit Ethernet Controller. In order to bootstrap my fedora 9 system, I downloaded this kernel and compiled the e1000e module against my running kernel and luckily it worked.
I see. I have checked in support for the 2.6.26 kernel.
Do you forsee any issues with SMP? Or are the items like ffmpeg already compiled with multi-core support?
The kernel is compiled for multi-core support. Whether a particular application or library can make use of multiple cores depends on the application or library. In the case of FFmpeg, there is was SoC work to multi-thread decoders such as the H.264 decoder. However, I am not sure the current status.

Also, I know that some have had issues with S3 and SMP.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.
azawacki

Post by azawacki »

Status update:

I've compiled minimyth with a 2.6.26 kernel and Xorg 7.4 (after fixing the version number check with 7.3 listed twice.) I have tried booting both using a local USB key and with network via pxe / pxelinux. I have the configuration set with MM_X_OUTPUT_DVI='auto'; MM_X_OUTPUT_VGA='auto'; and MM_X_OUTPUT_TV='auto'.

In both cases, while minimyth is starting, I see that no network interface found, defaulting to eth0, but that seems to be normal as it appears to happen before the kernel modules are loaded, so presumably, e1000e hasn't been loaded yet, so defaulting to eth0 will work after the modules are loaded.

In the case of network booting, the system stops responding and seems to start working with the "processing configuration file ..." message on the screen.

In the case of booting from the local usb drive, the error sometimes seems to be a bit more helpful, saying that all of the video output methods have been disabled.

I'm currently connecting the computer to the TV using an HDMI cable. The motherboard does not have a VGA port. I am going to look into getting a DVI->HDMI adapter this weekend and using the DVI port to connect to the TV instead of the HDMI port. Maybe this will keep the DVI port active.

The machine can boot up into fedora 9, are there any commands there that I can run to get a list of the DVI ports? Perhaps the DVI port is port 0 and the HDMI port is port 1 or something like that? Booting in F9, in the Xorg.0.log file, I see indications that Output VGA is disconnected, Output HDMI-1 is connected and output HDMI-2 is disconnected. I tried setting MM_X_OUTPUT_DVI to '1' instead of auto, but it fails in the same way.

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

Link to the MB:
http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/M ... erview.htm
azawacki

Post by azawacki »

Thanks for your help trying to get this working. In my research, I've found that the G45 chipset support is not working in the intel 2.4.2 drivers. You currently are required to get the latest git sources, which supposedly work. However, that requires a GEM enabled kernel. As far as I can tell, the earliest this may be available is 2.6.28, which according to one of the people working on it is "fairly ambitious". It looks like I need to put this on a back burner for a couple of months to let drivers get caught up. This chipset seems perfect, the software just isn't quite there yet.

The DVI <==> HDMI adapter didn't work. The screen stays blank. A DVI ==> VGA adapter works fine. The DVI port is supposed to be a DVI-D, which means that either adapter should work. I'm going to hook it back up to the TV to see if I can get HDMI audio working, it's listed in aplay -L, but I haven't tested it yet.

I must have a bug in my minimyth.conf file because when all of the MM_X_OUTPUT_* items are set to auto, it fails to start. I'll look through the scripts to figure out why that is and go from there. Even if I have to disable all of the hardware acceleration to get it working, the 3Ghz C2D should be able to handle all of my tasks for now, either playing DVDs or watching recordings.
azawacki

Time to try again?

Post by azawacki »

On Christmas Eve the 2.6.28 kernel was released with GEM support. I think I'm ready to try again. I think this is a breakdown of what I would like to try with this motherboard:

2.6.28 kernel (gem enabled kernel)
2.5.1 xf86-video-intel driver (couldn't find out if I needed 2.5.99.1 or not)
1.0.18a alsa (should enable HDMI audio)

The sensor information for this motherboard:

[root@localhost log]# cat /sys/class/dmi/id/modalias
dmi:bvnIntelCorp.:bvrIDG4510H.86A.0075.2008.0722.1329:bd07/22/2008:svn:pn:pvr:rvnIntelCorporation:rnDG45FC:rvrAAE27730-305:cvn:ct2:cvr:

sensor-detect run under fedora 9 reports:
Driver `lm85' (should be inserted):
Detects correctly:
* Bus `SMBus I801 adapter at f000'
Busdriver `i2c-i801', I2C address 0x2e
Chip `National Semiconductor LM85 or LM96000' (confidence: 7)

Driver `coretemp' (should be inserted):
Detects correctly:
* Chip `Intel Core family thermal sensor' (confidence: 9)

#----cut here----
# I2C adapter drivers
modprobe i2c-i801
# Chip drivers
modprobe lm85
modprobe coretemp
/usr/bin/sensors -s
#----cut here----

I'll be compiling 64 bit .20.2 branch until .22 comes out (nothing compelling in .21 to deserve an upgrade.)

I'm moderately optimistic that things will go well this time around.

As a bit of an update, I've been able to use this frontend under fedora 9 without HDMI audio, and without an video acceleration using xf86-video-intel 2.4.2 running on a 1080p display. It's worked ok, but has a tendency to crash using xine to play back video files not supported by mythtv.

Let me know if this is too disruptive, and I'll work on testing things as best I can... :D
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

I have wanted to see whether or not the 2.6.28 kernel fixes the wake-on-usb problems in the 2.6.27 kernel. However, at the moment, I have not been able to use the 2.6.28 kernel in MiniMyth due to kernel patches and drivers not in the vanilla kernel tree (e.g. squashfs) that need to be updated to work with changes in the 2.6.28 kernel. However, once the minimally required external patches and drivers work with the 2.6.28 kernel, I will check in MiniMyth build system support for the 2.6.28 kernel.
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

As it builds and boots, I have added 2.6.28 to the build system. However, it is less stable. Many of the NVIDIA packages do not build. In addition, it kernel oops on S3 (suspend to RAM).
azawacki

Post by azawacki »

While trying to build xorg-7.4, in the section "NOW BUILDING: xorg-server-1.5.3, I get this:

checking for strcasecmp... yes
checking for strncasecmp... yes
checking for strcasestr... (cached) yes
checking for XDMCP... no
checking for XSERVERCFLAGS... configure: error: Package requirements (randrproto >= 1.2 renderproto >= 0.9.3 fixesproto >= 4.0 damageproto >= 1.1 xcmiscproto xextproto xproto >= 7.0.9 xtrans scrnsaverproto >= 1.1 bigreqsproto resourceproto fontsproto inputproto >= 1.4.4 kbproto >= 1.0.3 videoproto recordproto xineramaproto xkbfile xfont xau fontenc pixman-1 >= 0.9.5) were not met:

No package 'scrnsaverproto' found
No package 'videoproto' found
No package 'xkbfile' found
No package 'pixman-1' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables XSERVERCFLAGS_CFLAGS
and XSERVERCFLAGS_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

make[8]: *** [configure-work/build.d/xorg-server-1.5.3/configure] Error 1

My customized minimyth.conf.mk in ~/.minimyth/minimyth.conf.mk:
mm_GRAPHICS ?= intel
mm_GARCH ?= x86-64
mm_DISTRIBUTION_RAM ?= yes
mm_DISTRIBUTION_NFS ?= yes
mm_DISTRIBUTION_LOCAL ?= yes
mm_DISTRIBUTION_SHARE ?= yes

mm_HOME ?= $(HOME)/minimyth/gar-minimyth
mm_KERNEL_HEADERS_VERSION ?= 2.6.28
mm_KERNEL_VERSION ?= 2.6.28
mm_KERNEL_CONFIG ?=
mm_MYTH_VERSION ?= 0.20
mm_XORG_VERSION ?= 7.4

At the bare minimum, I do have the follwoing installed on the build machine:
[root@optimus ~]# rpm -qa | egrep -e pixman -e scrnsaver -e video -e xkbfile
libxkbfile-1.0.4-5.fc9.x86_64
pixman-0.10.0-1.fc9.x86_64
pixman-devel-0.10.0-1.fc9.x86_64
libxkbfile-devel-1.0.4-5.fc9.x86_64
libxkbfile-1.0.4-5.fc9.i386
pixman-0.10.0-1.fc9.i386
libxkbfile-devel-1.0.4-5.fc9.i386
pixman-devel-0.10.0-1.fc9.i386
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Oops. The xorg-7.4/xorg-server package's DEPENDS variable in its Makefile was rename XDEPENDS. Removing the leading X from XDEPENDS and running the command 'make clean' in xorg-7.4/xorg-server should make it work.
azawacki

Post by azawacki »

I must be doing something fairly simple wrong. I've tried building everything twice, once with x86_64 and once with pentium-mmx and both fail in the same manner.

==> Running configure in work/main.d/libftdi-0.15
checking for a BSD-compatible install... //home/minimyth-i686/minimyth/gar-minimyth/images/build/usr/bin/install -c

... [snip] ...

i586-minimyth-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I../src -I../ftdipp -pipe -march=pentium-mmx -mtune=generic -Os -m32 -MT find_all.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/find_all.Tpo -c -o find_all.o find_all.c
mv -f .deps/bitbang_cbus.Tpo .deps/bitbang_cbus.Po
i586-minimyth-linux-gnu-g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I../src -I../ftdipp -pipe -march=pentium-mmx -mtune=generic -Os -m32 -MT find_all_pp.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/find_all_pp.Tpo -c -o find_all_pp.o find_all_pp.cpp
mv -f .deps/find_all.Tpo .deps/find_all.Po
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link i586-minimyth-linux-gnu-gcc -pipe -march=pentium-mmx -mtune=generic -Os -m32 -no-install -Wl,--as-needed -o simple simple.o ../src/libftdi.la -L/home/minimyth-i686/minimyth/gar-minimyth/images/main//usr/lib -lusb
In file included from find_all_pp.cpp:8:
../ftdipp/ftdi.hpp:22:32: error: boost/shared_ptr.hpp: No such file or directory
mkdir .libs
i586-minimyth-linux-gnu-gcc -pipe -march=pentium-mmx -mtune=generic -Os -m32 -Wl,--as-needed -o simple simple.o ../src/.libs/libftdi.so -L/home/minimyth-i686/minimyth/gar-minimyth/images/main//usr/lib -lusb
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link i586-minimyth-linux-gnu-gcc -pipe -march=pentium-mmx -mtune=generic -Os -m32 -no-install -Wl,--as-needed -o bitbang bitbang.o ../src/libftdi.la -L/home/minimyth-i686/minimyth/gar-minimyth/images/main//usr/lib -lusb
In file included from find_all_pp.cpp:8:
../ftdipp/ftdi.hpp:128: error: ‘boost’ has not been declared
../ftdipp/ftdi.hpp:128: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘shared_ptr’ with no type

...... [snip] ...

(68) optimus -> ~/minimyth/gar-minimyth/script/meta/minimyth [0]
> svnversion
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

This is a bug. The lib/libftdi package was finding the system boost library. I have modified the package so that is should not require the boost library and should not find the system boost library. It is in SVN 4238 and will be in the next build.
azawacki

Post by azawacki »

Getting further, but still failing:

Making all in daemons
make[7]: Entering directory `/home/minimyth-x86_64/minimyth/gar-minimyth/script/system/lirc/work/main.d/lirc-0.8.4a/daemons'

...[snip, a bunch of successful compiles]...

x86_64-minimyth-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I.. -pipe -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O3 -mfpmath=sse -m64 -MT receive.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/receive.Tpo -c -o receive.o receive.c
mv -f .deps/receive.Tpo .deps/receive.Po
x86_64-minimyth-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I.. -pipe -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O3 -mfpmath=sse -m64 -MT serial.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/serial.Tpo -c -o serial.o serial.c
In file included from serial.c:32:
/home/minimyth-x86_64/minimyth/gar-minimyth/images/main/usr/include/linux/serial.h:164: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘__u32’
make[7]: *** [serial.o] Error 1

Is this debugging ok, or is it distracting you from a bigger picture type of issue? If this is helpful, I'm happy to continue, but I don't want to slow down overall progress. We're all wanting a 2.6.28 kernel...
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

It looks like a bug in the linux/serial.h header file from the 2.6.28 kernel.
SVN 4245 should fix it, but you will need to rebuild.

Also, keep posting problems that you find. They are either problems that I have yet to encounter or will not encounter (due to different build system). Having you posting them helps me track them down sooner.