A build system for MiniMyth and debugging bzImage/cramfs

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

mjhammel

Re: debugging a build

Post by mjhammel »

mjacob wrote:The problem is that most distros install different versions of libc, and other libraries, based on the processor type. I build everything on an i686 box right now and this works fine with EPIAM10k based frontends. Trying the exact same rootfs that works on the M10k but running it on a M6k frontend causes infinite reboots or a hang at boot time. I ended up having to build XFree86 and glibc for i386 in order to get it to work on a M6k box.
That is a problem. Although there are some hooks for building the kernel for different processors in the build script, that doesn't help the apps that are built on the build system. In other words, as of now, you have to build on x86 and assume that your build system's libs are compatible with your VIA processor.

So far this isn't a problem for me since I've only got the one M10k w/ C3 Eden and it seems to work okay so far. But the build system should be flexible enough for multiple EPIA platforms. That will take some work though, to get a complete build system based on another processor type. We just as well may want to force the build on another distribution in that case.

Well, for now, we'll solve the specific case and then expand on it for the general case if we can.

BTW, I've forgotten - is the C3 Eden the Ezra or the Nehemiah? So many code names, so few brain cells left....
The Graphics Muse
mjhammel

Build system updates

Post by mjhammel »

I've been doing more cleaning of the initial checkin. The build script (mkmm.pl) now checks for some prerequisites (sudo and alien). The README and --help option should explain these a little. Note: sudo requirements are on the todo list to be removed.

I also noticed that I hadn't finished my alsa build testing when I last left off on the build tests so there are some unexpected exit()'s in the script in that section of code. If anyone gets their build completed and wants to dive into the script, the Alsa build is probably the next thing that needs looking at.

FYI - Larry is working on getting a bug tracker up on LinPVR. For now the known bugs are in the BUGS.txt file. Email me if you don't have write access or post to the forum and I'll update that file and/or fix the bug.

I reloaded my mythconverg db today and fixed the funky color problem I was having on my backend system when it ran the frontend, so I should be able to get back to the build system soon. I do have to work on another article for LinuxFormat for November that may take some time too, but I'm getting closer to being able to focus more on minimyth.
The Graphics Muse
hagan

Post by hagan »

Hi,
what do you think about a mailing list. Maybe sourceforge would be an idea. There we get a mailing list and a bugtracking system without hassle.

btw in the moment there is an exit(0) after the sudo check so the script finishes witout doing anything.

Regards
Marcus
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

I'll look into a mailing list (for dev only). I have installed a bug tracking system on linpvr, but I'm still working the kinks out before I announce it.

Larry
mjhammel

Post by mjhammel »

hagan wrote: btw in the moment there is an exit(0) after the sudo check so the script finishes witout doing anything.
Rats. I'm getting sloppy. I'll pull that out tonight when I have access.
The Graphics Muse
shinysteve
Contributor

Post by shinysteve »

Just an update on trying to build using the mkmm method. I am running into lots of problems with Suse 9.0.
I shouldn't have even started trying to build on Suse becuase i already know for sure the QT libs are cranky.

Whats the recommended platform for the build?
Red Hat, Fedora, Debian?

Steve.
mjhammel

Post by mjhammel »

shinysteve wrote:Whats the recommended platform for the build?
Red Hat, Fedora, Debian?
I'm building on Red Hat. Larry is (I believe) using Mandrake. Red Hat 9 is the only system known to absolutely work although there was a time not long ago that I had the build running on Debian too (at work, but I haven't tried it from there in about a month or so). But there is no reason why the build system can't be made to work on any platform supported by MythTV. It's just a matter of working out the details.

I'd like make the build system support all major Linux platforms (RH/Fedora, Mandrake, SuSE, and Debian). So if you hit problems on a particular platform please submit them to the bug db. Larry should be making that public soon. Till then, just makes notes to yourself to report later or email the bug report to me and I'll update the bug db.

Thanks to everyone for giving the build system a try. :-)
The Graphics Muse
mjhammel

Build update: alsa

Post by mjhammel »

The build script was cleaned up a bit tonight. I removed that extra exit() after the sudo check. I also finished the alsa build. The drivers, libs and utils all build and get installed into the rootfs and I tested amixer to make sure it basically runs (--help and scontrol command). But I don't know if it actually sets anything. Also, I think I still have the ViaAudioCombo configured in the modules script so the alsa drivers probably didn't get loaded (or maybe they did - I just haven't checked that far yet).

Anyway, just thought I'd give an update.
The Graphics Muse
mjhammel

Build system updates redux

Post by mjhammel »

I've now got the module loading to reproduce what Larry had. Translucency gave me some fits because Busybox's insmod didn't play well with it and switching to the bulld systems insmod forced changes to the module loading scripts to use "-r" and not "modprobe". The downside is that is possible that other distributions aside from RH use a version of insmod that doesn't support the -r option. Hopefully that isn't the case, but I won't know till someone else tries it.

I also tried to get the kernel config and XFree86 configs to match verbatim, though I didn't quite get there. I did clean out a bunch of the cruft in the buildfiles/config directory though.

Anyway, MythTV now comes up to the menus. The fonts are not that nice - maybe I'm missing some config items for fontconfig (I'm using the default theme). But the bigger problem is that when I start to watch TV mythfrontend segfaults. strace doesn't point me anywhere useful and the mythfrontend debug output also is less than helpful.

The only obvious difference I've come across so far between Larry's 0.5.1 and my build is that I build the kernel with the via drm and he doesn't. That might be what's causing the segfault, but I'm not sure how to build this without the drm and get it working. So far I haven't found any other significant differences. I'll keep digging, though. At this point, though, I could use some help debugging why its crashing.

Larry - I may need you to review the kernel config and XFree86's config to make sure they match what you did oriiginally.

I've updated the README.txt in the hope that it is a little clearer on how to use the script.
The Graphics Muse