minimyth-0.6

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

lmatter
Contributor

minimyth-0.6

Post by lmatter »

Well, I was hoping I could just slam mythtv-0.16 into the current image and call it a day, but it is not working out so nicely.

Quite frequently playing a recording causes the frontend to wedge hard. About all I can do is ping it. There's no indication in any logs that I can see of what is going wrong.

So it may be a while before I can release minimyth-0.6.

It's also difficult to find time to play with this as I have WAF/KAF to consider. I'll keep you posted.

Larry
bigA

Post by bigA »

Hi Larry,
I was getting the same thing. I found I needed to do a fresh checkout.
I have it going and I am using a larger root-fs since I installed extra themes.
Here is a link to my root-fs.

http://www.onegeeksopinion.com/files/root-fs.zip

I think the commit from today might be a problem since they have took out the old VIA code and are only supporting the unichrome driver.

Cheers...
------------------------------------------
We Live to Survive our Paradoxes!
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Hi BigA

Thanks for that. I'm currently trying to install a second MythTV backend on one of my EPIA M's (with a harddrive) so I can have a test backend system. Since it's only an ME 6000 it's taking a long time to compile :-).

Once that is running I will try this rootfs.

Larry
bigA

Post by bigA »

Hi Larry, I have had that same project sitting on my bench for that past few months.

I have been looking at the unichome driver and playing with compiling it right now. I would like to take a look at the article on building minimyth you are working on.

Cheers...
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Ok, I got my test backend running and configured one of my frontends to connect to it using BigA's rootfs.

I got errors trying to initialize the pluggins but maybe you have not upgraded those yet.

My first impression is that the picture quality is greatly improved. I'm using a different PVR-x50 card though, with a newer ivtv driver (ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck100z) AND a high quality coax to the card, so I'm not sure if those factors are significant.

OSD fades really effect the video; much more significantly than in minimyth-0.5.1. It could be the fill method - I still have some tweaking to do.

Also, I couldn't connect to the frontend with VNC, haven't looked in that yet.

More testing tomorrow...

Larry
bigA

Post by bigA »

I only did mythvideo and mythtv. I had problems with mythmusic, but I am working on it.

VNC works here.

I did notice a better picture also.

cheers...
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Unfortunately, mythtv-0.16 seems to be "less nice" on my setup than 0.15.1. The way the video stutters/speeds up during an OSD transition is pretty annoying (sound is ok). Perhaps there is some setting or patch that makes it better, but at the moment I don't have any great urge to upgrade.

If anyone else really wants an updated minimyth let me know and I'll try to make one soon-ish. Otherwise I'll focus on trying to get Unichrome working.

Larry
JonW

Post by JonW »

Larry,

The prospect of an improved picture with MythTV 0.16 sounds appealing, although I guess this hasn't really been confirmed, as there are other variables in the mix. I understand that there are also a number of DVB related fixes (for stability) that would benefit me, being a DVB user.

Can the OSD fade be disabled (as it was on previous releases, IIRC)? Are there any other issues with 0.16 that would make you reluctant to upgrade?

Cheers,

Jon
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Hi Jon,

I could try changing the OSD fade to zero, but I didn't have to do that in 0.15.1. I haven't found any other issues but I didn't take it too far as the video stutter would have significantly impacted WAF and MAF (My Acceptance Factor).

If changing the fade time helps then that is an acceptable work around and I'll push forward.

Larry
cutty

Post by cutty »

I'd love to see a release based on 0.16. I've been sort of anxious to upgrade, but I've been holding back for a new minimyth release. But I may go ahead without it for now if there's no release upcoming. I had an older version of Myth running on my Epia from a regular distro install, so I imagine I can upgrade it and get it working. It just won't be as nice and tweaked as MiniMyth is. :-)
YorkBW

Stutter

Post by YorkBW »

FWIW, I always had that video stutter problem with the OSD fade in Minimyth 0.15.1 too.
markk

Post by markk »

A bit late into this thread - just back from a 2 week break :(

I tried upgrading my backend to 0.16 last night - and it felt like a significant downgrade. The backend has been rock solid for months but it now locks hard when I try to change channel. Didn't really get beyond that (picture quality etc) as I needed to get back to 0.15.1 before some recordings kicked in (WAF factor again). Given that things are going to be busy for a few weeks, I think I might be sticking with 0.15.1 for a while...

I'd be interested to hear what picture quality is like with 0.16 and the epia's though - I've not checked the source and am not sure which of Kenneth Aafloy's patches (and which versions) made it into 0.16.

Regards

Mark

(p.s. and I really don't like the new menu layout!)
pumkin

close to a pre-release?

Post by pumkin »

Hi All,

I have been holding off on an upgrade for a long time, and am now stuck with a 0.2 install :) (which works fine, but some of the newer files i watch in mythvideo have been a bit jumpy.....

I was wondering if there is anything close to a prerelease of 0.6, and what I can do to help speed it up.... previously minimyth has worked out of the box for me, and my myth backend has run happily using apt packages....

So yeah, any eta, or advice on what to do would be great.

/kris