MiniMyth Torture Edition (aka MiniMyth-myth cvs, kern 2.6.x)

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

corwin

MiniMyth Torture Edition (aka MiniMyth-myth cvs, kern 2.6.x)

Post by corwin »

Hi people,

<rant>Given the response to my past posts about my attempts to upgrade MiniMyth to MythTV 0.16 CVS and kernel 2.6.8.1 (total number of replies: nearly one), I don't know if I should even bother.</rant>

But anyway...

I finally got my upgraded MiniMyth working, and I can tell you, it was a major pain. But then I'm used to pain, I've won the Most Unlucky Myth User award for the last two years.

Current setup:

- MythTV CVS as of yesterday
- Kernel 2.6.8.1
- X.org R6.8.1
- Myth modules: MythVideo, MythMusic(1), MythGallery, MythGame(2), MythWeather, MythPhone(3)
- VLD-XvMC support in MythTV (25-30% CPU playing recorded TV)(4)
- lcdproc, lirc, vnc, httpd (for info page), sensors, crond (for time updates from ntpd servers)
- No transparency - it doesn't work on 2.6.x, got around that by copying /etc to a tmpfs partition

(1) OpenGL visualizations are giving me some trouble... not that I care about them anyway.
(2) Configured for xmame (with lirc support) and stella, plus USB joystick/gamepad support.
(3) Well, I installed it, but I haven't actually used it yet and I haven't built any cam drivers.
(4) Just started trying to get Ivor's epiaosd working, hopefully that won't be too painful.

Some things in my root fs are custom-made for my config, rather than customizable as in the original MiniMyth, but that won't be too hard to fix. I'm also currently having some problems with xmame and mplayer, but that's temporary (I hope). If anyone wants my root fs and/or kernel, say "I want my root fs and/or kernel".

That is all.

Itai
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

I'm just about to settle down with some Pale Ale, Thai food, and a Keen Eddie DVD, so I'm not going to comment too much on this right now except to say "Bravo", and we'll all be looking to you for help as we move forward.

MJHammel and I are working on a real buildable minimyth. He's checked it in; I haven't successfully built it yet, but we're making good progress.

When we have something buildable we'll make an announcement.

Larry
corwin

Post by corwin »

lmatter wrote:I'm just about to settle down with some Pale Ale, Thai food, and a Keen Eddie DVD, so I'm not going to comment too much on this right now except to say "Bravo", and we'll all be looking to you for help as we move forward.
Well, I achieved my success through a long process of evolution - make many mistakes, keep anything that isn't a mistake. But I'll be happy to help if I can. I'll be happier to have an officially-maintained MiniMyth rather than having to keep maintaining mine.
MJHammel and I are working on a real buildable minimyth. He's checked it in; I haven't successfully built it yet, but we're making good progress.

Larry
Yeah, I've seen the posts about that, but my version has been in development for so long, I didn't want to get distracted from finishing it (not that it's finished). At the moment my build process involves compiling code on an FC1 system running in VMware, updating new files into the root fs with several shell scripts and some manual work, and building the cramfs on my FC2 server. I'd be glad to be able to retire this process...

I got to say, the original (and excellent) MiniMyth setup, plus the latest myth code and vld-XvMC, make for a great myth system - in fact, the first really useable system I've had.

Itai
shinysteve
Contributor

Post by shinysteve »

Hi corwin.

Does SPDIF/alsa work?

Im the second most unlucky minimyth builder in the world and I cant get ALSA 1.0.2c working with 2.4.24 (stock) and the devfs system. Would be interested to see if yours is working and to make some comparisons.

Regards

Steve.
corwin

Post by corwin »

shinysteve wrote:Does SPDIF/alsa work?

Im the second most unlucky minimyth builder in the world and I cant get ALSA 1.0.2c working with 2.4.24 (stock) and the devfs system. Would be interested to see if yours is working and to make some comparisons.
Haven't tried SPDIF yet but mplayer works fine with alsa output which I guess is a good sign... I'll try to output to SPDIF tomorrow and report back.

Itai
shinysteve
Contributor

Post by shinysteve »

No need to wire it up...

I guess if you can do 'amixer' an get a non-error output, you're going to be able to configure the spdif.

Steve.
corwin

Post by corwin »

shinysteve wrote:No need to wire it up...

I guess if you can do 'amixer' an get a non-error output, you're going to be able to configure the spdif.

Steve.
Oh, amixer works... I verified that when I saw the posts regarding amixer problems. speaker-test works too, on the analog out.

I still want to see it working... won't believe it till I see it.

Itai
shinysteve
Contributor

Post by shinysteve »

Then there's only one thing to say:

"I want your root fs and kernel".

Do you have it on a server somewhere? If not you could upload to my server. (contact me steve@hiblue.com beforehand)

S.
corwin

Post by corwin »

My root fs, kernel and related build and boot files are at http://tavor.net/MiniMyth

Enjoy, report problems, request changes.

Itai

P.S New server... you might have download/file corruption problems.
shinysteve
Contributor

Post by shinysteve »

Many thanks corwin.

Regards
Steve.
JonW

Post by JonW »

I want my root fs and/or kernel.

That's great work. I've been looking forward to a 0.16 based Minimyth.
corwin

Post by corwin »

JonW wrote:I want my root fs and/or kernel.
http://tavor.net/MiniMyth, for you and everyone else
That's great work. I've been looking forward to a 0.16 based Minimyth.
Me too :) Hope it works for you, let me know if it doesn't.
markk

Post by markk »

Firstly - thankyou. I've been meaning to do this for weeks but never quite found 3 days spare...

Anyway, seems to work pretty well on my main myth box (the other one hates hit, but I'd already resigned that one to the parents - it seems to hate most things!) A couple of points:-

- I don't have a problem with mplayer starting in the wrong place - did you fix that?
- I was expecting to have to upgrade my server to CVS - but it seems happy enough (fingers crossed). Might be helpful for others.
- colours during playback seem really muted/washed out - anyone else seeing this?
- there was some discussion on the myth dev list about interlaced playback. As far as I can tell tvout is still not properly interlaced - but then I wasn't sure of the outcome of the discussion.

thanks again

Mark
corwin

Post by corwin »

markk wrote:Firstly - thankyou. I've been meaning to do this for weeks but never quite found 3 days spare...

Anyway, seems to work pretty well on my main myth box (the other one hates hit, but I'd already resigned that one to the parents - it seems to hate most things!) A couple of points:-

- I don't have a problem with mplayer starting in the wrong place - did you fix that?
- I was expecting to have to upgrade my server to CVS - but it seems happy enough (fingers crossed). Might be helpful for others.
- colours during playback seem really muted/washed out - anyone else seeing this?
- there was some discussion on the myth dev list about interlaced playback. As far as I can tell tvout is still not properly interlaced - but then I wasn't sure of the outcome of the discussion.

thanks again

Mark
Thanks for the feedback, Mark. mplayer works fine for me... I think it was just a temporary fluke. I left the line about it not working to scare people... ok, I was lazy.

If you can really build a similar system in 3 days, you are a Major Deity. As for me, I've been struggling with various setups for months. I was very happy when this one finally started working. I can't say anything about washed out colors as I haven't had a working hardware-accelerated setup since 2003, and I haven't tried the interlace patches as the difference between an interlaced and non-interlaced picture is insignificant compared to the difference between a picture and nothing :)

Due to popular demand (ok, one request) I tried to update the frontend to the latest cvs code, and now playback gives me a green screen - which IMO is an improvement on most TV shows, but it does interfere with the story flow, so some users may find this a problem (those of you who can actually find a story in today's TV shows).

I'd like to release a new build as soon as I make some progress on the green screen (no, making it purple won't count)... I also planned to include MythPhone (another request) but with libmythphone installed mythfrontend exits on startup with a very useful "Killed" message. It's strange, it was working fine last week, I thought it might be some bad DB settings but removing all phone-related entries from the DB didn't help. Oh well, back to the grindstone... yes, the one where you get to sit and drink coffee for hours because the myth cvs server keeps going away.

Itai
corwin

Post by corwin »

Apologies to anyone who's been waiting for a new release of my build... I had one almost ready to post over a week ago, but ran into all sorts of problems... today I'm running a new server/backend and I was finally able to create a new MiniMyth build. root fs (cramfs and archive formats) on my website.

- Myth CVS as of 30.10 (uses a new protocol version so you'll need a very recent backend)

- Updated Unichrome, libXvMC and DRM

- MythPhone with pwc and ov511 modules (untested, got no webcam and nobody to call)

- Myth joystick support (default joystickrc placed in /root/.mythtv, if you're using the nfs-mounted .mythtv directory setup you can place your own joystickrc there)

Problems... I'm stuck with a problem using FF/REW in recording playback... messages on the mailing list indicated that the problem should disappear with up-to-date frontend+backend code, but I still have it with last night's code. Also, Ivor's epia OSD still isn't included... will go in as soon as Ivor updates his patch.

Enjoy