MiniMyth Torture Edition (aka MiniMyth-myth cvs, kern 2.6.x)

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

chandlerpaul

Post by chandlerpaul »

Hi,

I am having trouble running the 30th Oct release. After loading linux-2.6.8.1-epia1 and rootfs-cvs-2.6 the screen goes blank and seems to hang. This is directly after the lines of dots have been displayed during the load of rootfs-cvs-2.6.

I have tried telnet and vnc to look for any log files, but the machine seems dead so there are no clues to be found.

Can anyone suggest where I may be going wrong or is there an original version of rootfs-cvs-2.6 around anywhere that I can try.

Thanks

Paul
corwin

Post by corwin »

chandlerpaul wrote:Hi,

I am having trouble running the 30th Oct release. After loading linux-2.6.8.1-epia1 and rootfs-cvs-2.6 the screen goes blank and seems to hang. This is directly after the lines of dots have been displayed during the load of rootfs-cvs-2.6.

I have tried telnet and vnc to look for any log files, but the machine seems dead so there are no clues to be found.

Can anyone suggest where I may be going wrong or is there an original version of rootfs-cvs-2.6 around anywhere that I can try.

Thanks

Paul
Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear you got problems. It's badtime here now, but I'll upload an older rootfs tomorrow morning. I might have an idea about what's causing your freeze so I'll also have a look at that.

Itai
corwin

Post by corwin »

chandlerpaul wrote:Hi,

Paul
Hi Paul,

Sorry for lying about going to upload an older rootfs yesterday... couldn't find a copy, and was too busy with work to post.

Anyway... other than hoping someone else has a copy of the old rootfs, there's one thing you can try. The point at which your system freezes is the point the kernel changes to fb output to show a nicer boot log (the original MiniMyth didn't do that, but I like fancy output)... maybe there's something different in your BIOS settings that conflicts with that.

Check the APPEND line in your pxelinux.cfg file. If it has anything after rootfstype=cramfs (like vga=...), remove it. Then try booting again.

Good luck, Itai
chandlerpaul

Post by chandlerpaul »

corwin wrote: Hi Paul,

Sorry for lying about going to upload an older rootfs yesterday... couldn't find a copy, and was too busy with work to post.

Anyway... other than hoping someone else has a copy of the old rootfs, there's one thing you can try. The point at which your system freezes is the point the kernel changes to fb output to show a nicer boot log (the original MiniMyth didn't do that, but I like fancy output)... maybe there's something different in your BIOS settings that conflicts with that.

Check the APPEND line in your pxelinux.cfg file. If it has anything after rootfstype=cramfs (like vga=...), remove it. Then try booting again.

Good luck, Itai
No problem, I understand the lack of time problem very well ! I have removed the "vga=789 video=vesa:wrap,mtrr" section from the file, but testing will have to wait until this evening as I have remote access to the main linux box to edit the file, but will actually need to be at home to reboot the epia box.

Thanks for taking to time to help.

Paul
chandlerpaul

Post by chandlerpaul »

That fixed it, thanks. I have not yet managed to get Myth running, but it is now booting and I can continue to debug my setup to get things running now.

Thanks again.

Paul
goldwein
Contributor

Skip, Jump, FF/WW and Skip Commercials

Post by goldwein »

Are folks having problems with the EPIA not skipping/jumping forward properly, and not skipping commercials on recorded programs? My nVIDIA backend has no problem with these functions on the same recordings, so I am guessing it has something to do with the EPIA.

Thanks

Joel
chandlerpaul

Post by chandlerpaul »

Itai mentioned this problem in the release post for the latest version.

Paul
corwin wrote:
Problems... I'm stuck with a problem using FF/REW in recording playback... messages on the mailing list indicated that the problem should disappear with up-to-date frontend+backend code, but I still have it with last night's code. Also, Ivor's epia OSD still isn't included... will go in as soon as Ivor updates his patch.

Enjoy
goldwein
Contributor

FF/REW and Commercial Flagging

Post by goldwein »

chandlerpaul wrote:Itai mentioned this problem in the release post for the latest version.

Paul
corwin wrote:
Problems... I'm stuck with a problem using FF/REW in recording playback... messages on the mailing list indicated that the problem should disappear with up-to-date frontend+backend code, but I still have it with last night's code. Also, Ivor's epia OSD still isn't included... will go in as soon as Ivor updates his patch.

Enjoy
Thanks Paul. I did see Itai's post, but was not sure whether this had been solved yet or whether it also applied to the Commercial Flagging/skipping. Sounds like the first answer is NO and the second is YES. I was looking through the Dev lists for the actual post about this problem and have not found it. I wonder if they are aware of the Commercial Flagging/Skipping problem???
corwin

Re: Skip, Jump, FF/WW and Skip Commercials

Post by corwin »

goldwein wrote:Are folks having problems with the EPIA not skipping/jumping forward properly, and not skipping commercials on recorded programs? My nVIDIA backend has no problem with these functions on the same recordings, so I am guessing it has something to do with the EPIA.

Thanks

Joel
I haven't tried commercial skipping, but the solution to the FF problem was posted on the myth users list. The problem is caused by the frontend not having the correct timezone. Copying /etc/localtime to /tftpboot/ on my server fixed my frontend's idea of the correct timezone. Can't test if it fixes FF though because the frontend is acting up right now, but see if this works for you.

Itai
goldwein
Contributor

Re: Skip, Jump, FF/WW and Skip Commercials

Post by goldwein »

corwin wrote:
goldwein wrote:... problems with the EPIA not skipping/jumping forward properly, and not skipping commercials on recorded programs...
... is caused by the frontend not having the correct timezone. Copying /etc/localtime to /tftpboot/ on my server fixed my frontend's idea of the correct timezone.
Itai

That fixed both problems. Now the commercial skipping and the FF work beautifully!

Thanks Itai
delboy711

Kernel source for Itai edition?

Post by delboy711 »

Corwin The work you have done looks like a good place to start for an EpiaM10000 I am building to work with my existing Myth 0.16 server. (Thanks)
My front end is not going to have wired Ethernet, I intend to use an 802.11g wireless adapter, so I will have to recompile the kernel with Ndiswrapper and boot from CF using Syslinux.

My question is which kernel-source should I use? Is it a stock kernel, and where is the epia1 patch you applied? Is the patch required? A comment on your web site implies it isn't.
corwin

Re: Kernel source for Itai edition?

Post by corwin »

delboy711 wrote:My question is which kernel-source should I use? Is it a stock kernel, and where is the epia1 patch you applied? Is the patch required? A comment on your web site implies it isn't.
The epia1 patch comes from the EPIA Wiki (http://www.epiawiki.org/). AFAIK the changes it applies are superceded by Unichrome and the DRI project so a stock 2.6.8.1 should work fine (fingers crossed, YMMV, no guarantees, don't blame me if the kernel eats your dog or pees on your homework ;) ).

Good luck!
delboy711

epia1 patch

Post by delboy711 »

Got it. Thanks
The patched kernel and ndiswrapper compiled OK. I got a bit alarmed when I saw the ndiswrapper executable was written in perl. Putting it through perlcc did not work, but then I realised the script only sets up the /etc files which can be done by hand.

Now I have to wait for my Epia to be delivered before I can try it out.
corwin

The Myth Does Not Rest

Post by corwin »

For everyone using my MiniMyth build (yeah, you two!) (How many of you are there really?), just wanted to say that I'm building a new root fs almost every day (with updated MythTV and Unichrome), I had some VxMC problems last week but today's build seems to be working fine again, so if anyone wants a copy let me know, as I'm not going to bother uploading very often unless I get requests.

Itai
mceachrw

Post by mceachrw »

first and foremost, will the mythtv modules work with a 0.16 backend?

i looked at the kernel .config file and it looked to be set for c3-2. if i have an me6000 (c3 not c3-2), could i just change that to c3, recompile, and still use all the existing kernel modules in the root fs? will the rest of this distro work on an me6000?

if so, i would like to try the latest version of this distro.