MiniMyth Torture Edition (aka MiniMyth-myth cvs, kern 2.6.x)

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

goldwein
Contributor
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:35 pm

Re: The Myth Does Not Rest

Post by goldwein »

corwin wrote:... today's build seems to be working fine again, so if anyone wants a copy let me know, as I'm not going to bother uploading very often unless I get requests.

Itai

Itai:

Can you tell us what modules you have working, and what is on the TODO list? Also, is there any way you can creat a quick "HOWTO" since it appears that there may be some custom settings necessary in the httpd.conf, pcelinux.cfg and other areas?

Thanks for your work on this.
JonW
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: The Myth Does Not Rest

Post by JonW »

corwin wrote:I had some VxMC problems last week but today's build seems to be working fine again, so if anyone wants a copy let me know, as I'm not going to bother uploading very often unless I get requests.
Itai,

I'm interested in using your build - I haven't yet, because I haven't had a chance to upgrade my backend to 0.16/CVS. I'm a little apprehensive about using CVS, since by its very nature, it's constantly changing (and I guess going back to 0.15 is non-trivial.)

Does your build use the same means of cutomisation as stock Minimyth, e.g. to obtain the lirc .rc file? In other words, is it a drop-in replacement for MiniMyth?

Also, I'm currently using the MiniMyth 0.51 build modified with Kenneth Aafloy's patches for interlacing, which make a great improvement in the picture for me. I understand that libddmpeg etc have all been superseded by VxMC/Unichrome - can anybody comment on how this compares for picture quality?

Finally, does you build incorporate the workaround for the broken stepping 3 Nehemiahs that misreport their MMX capabilities?

Cheers,


Jon
corwin
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:58 pm

We, in a strange myth employ, work on a rigurous build

Post by corwin »

Wow, can't leave this list for a day :(... look at all the questions...
mceachrw wrote:first and foremost, will the mythtv modules work with a 0.16 backend?

i looked at the kernel .config file and it looked to be set for c3-2. if i have an me6000 (c3 not c3-2), could i just change that to c3, recompile, and still use all the existing kernel modules in the root fs? will the rest of this distro work on an me6000?
First, if you mean will the CVS frontend work with an official 0.16 backend, I believe the answer is no, the mythlib version number has been bumped after 0.16 was released.

Second, I know nothing about the me6000. Can anyone else comment on this? If you find that you also need to rebuild the kernel modules you'll probably have to build the sensors and lirc modules as well. Send me a private message if you want help with that.
goldwein wrote:Can you tell us what modules you have working, and what is on the TODO list? Also, is there any way you can creat a quick "HOWTO" since it appears that there may be some custom settings necessary in the httpd.conf, pcelinux.cfg and other areas?
Difficult questions, those... I have a lot of modules working, are you thinking about anything in particular? sensors work, longhaul and supermount probably work although I haven't tried them, pwc and ov511 are in for webcams but I haven't tried those either. USB works, and joystick support with USB stick and gamepad. lirc is only built for homebrew serial ATM.

TODO list... having one of those would imply being much more organized than I really am. My TODO list actually has two standing items: 1) Keep MiniMyth running; 2) Try to improve the way it runs. There are a lot of useful things happening in the CVS these days so I update my code often, and keeping it running is often a pain. Incorporating picture-quality patches should be a TODO item, but as I just recently moved from a non-working frontend to a working one after many months, the extra small improvement in quality is not a high priority for me. Oh yeah, Ivor's EPIA OSD is on my list too, as soon as I can figure out what's actually going on with it.

I'm mainly making these builds so I have a working system (is there a "selfish smirk" smiley?) but I'll be happy to throw in any requested additions/changes as long as they don't break the system for me. The selfish angle is also why some configuration settings are hardcoded or different from the original MiniMyth. I'll try to get around to documenting those changes this weekend.
JonW wrote:I'm interested in using your build - I haven't yet, because I haven't had a chance to upgrade my backend to 0.16/CVS. I'm a little apprehensive about using CVS, since by its very nature, it's constantly changing (and I guess going back to 0.15 is non-trivial.)
Man, I wouldn't even try to downgrade... Not that I would want to anyway.
JonW wrote:Does your build use the same means of cutomisation as stock Minimyth, e.g. to obtain the lirc .rc file? In other words, is it a drop-in replacement for MiniMyth?
Yes and no (how's that for being helpful?) My build retains support for getting config files from /tftpboot as well as a custom preapp.script. Whether I kept that for lirc... I'm not sure but I can put that back in quite easily. The required modules for anything other than homebrew serial probably would be missing, though. I can build new ones if anyone needs them.
JonW wrote:Also, I'm currently using the MiniMyth 0.51 build modified with Kenneth Aafloy's patches for interlacing, which make a great improvement in the picture for me. I understand that libddmpeg etc have all been superseded by VxMC/Unichrome - can anybody comment on how this compares for picture quality?
Indeed, this build is based on vld-XvMC, which as I understand has it's own set of patches. However, see above regarding picture quality patches... If anyone wants to tell me which patches it would be a good idea for me to apply, I'd be happy to do so.
JonW wrote:Finally, does you build incorporate the workaround for the broken stepping 3 Nehemiahs that misreport their MMX capabilities?
Not aware of the problem or the workaround. My CPU is stepping 1. Is the workaround simple to add?

Done... deep breath, and back to my day job.

Itai
JonW
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: We, in a strange myth employ, work on a rigurous build

Post by JonW »

corwin wrote:Not aware of the problem or the workaround. My CPU is stepping 1. Is the workaround simple to add?
It's discussed here:-

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/m ... sers/59441

It's a matter of hard coding the edx return value (<- makes it look like I know what I'm talking about) and recompiling Myth. Apparently safe for all EPIAs, since they all support MMX.

Cheers,

Jon
corwin
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: We, in a strange myth employ, work on a rigurous build

Post by corwin »

JonW wrote:It's discussed here:-

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/m ... sers/59441

It's a matter of hard coding the edx return value (<- makes it look like I know what I'm talking about) and recompiling Myth. Apparently safe for all EPIAs, since they all support MMX.

Cheers,

Jon
Ok... applying the patch was easy and didn't cause any problems on my system, so the next root fs will include it. But on the plus side, with the latest build mythtv fails to start audio and mythmusic crashes...

Itai
goldwein
Contributor
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:35 pm

Itai's New HOWTO, Build... THANKS!!!

Post by goldwein »

Itai:

Thanks so much for your new HOWTO and builds. Fantastic!
corwin
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Itai's New HOWTO, Build... THANKS!!!

Post by corwin »

goldwein wrote:Itai:

Thanks so much for your new HOWTO and builds. Fantastic!
He means the new build that isn't there :oops:

The root fs should be up later today... uploading 44Mb on ADSL can be a pain.

For anyone who hasen't seen it yet, check http://tavor.net/MiniMyth for the HowTo.

Itai
delboy711
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: UK

Feedback on "lipstick" build

Post by delboy711 »

Just spent a day playing with your latest build. Its a big improvement on the last one. In fact it works beautifully. Thanks :-)

On my Via M10000 it plays TV using only 13% CPU power.

The only thing I have found wrong so far is that Picture in Picture does not work. I have another front end running todays CVS and it works there. So is it the CVS version you used which has the problem, or is it something to do with the Mini-ITX?

Now to make it boot from Flash and connect over a wireless network :-)
JonW
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: The Myth Does Not Rest

Post by JonW »

corwin wrote:My build retains support for getting config files from /tftpboot as well as a custom preapp.script. Whether I kept that for lirc... I'm not sure but I can put that back in quite easily. The required modules for anything other than homebrew serial probably would be missing, though. I can build new ones if anyone needs them.
Well, I've finally upgraded my backend to CVS and downloaded your rootfs, so here goes!

First off, I'm having trouble getting my remote to work. I currently have a couple of lines in my preapp.script to tftp down the lirc config files. Should this stay the same with your build? I'm using a homebrew receiver on COM1, and the the kernel command line parameter set appropriately.

Cheers,

Jon
corwin
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: The Myth Does Not Rest

Post by corwin »

delboy711 wrote:Just spent a day playing with your latest build. Its a big improvement on the last one. In fact it works beautifully. Thanks :-)

On my Via M10000 it plays TV using only 13% CPU power.

The only thing I have found wrong so far is that Picture in Picture does not work. I have another front end running todays CVS and it works there. So is it the CVS version you used which has the problem, or is it something to do with the Mini-ITX?
Good to hear it's working well for you, and thanks for the feedback :)

I got the PiP problem too. It's not a Mini-ITX problem as it was working for me until about a week ago. Must be either a Myth CVS or a driver problem... I'll try to rebuild and see what happens.
JonW wrote:
corwin wrote:My build retains support for getting config files from /tftpboot as well as a custom preapp.script. Whether I kept that for lirc... I'm not sure but I can put that back in quite easily. The required modules for anything other than homebrew serial probably would be missing, though. I can build new ones if anyone needs them.
First off, I'm having trouble getting my remote to work. I currently have a couple of lines in my preapp.script to tftp down the lirc config files. Should this stay the same with your build? I'm using a homebrew receiver on COM1, and the the kernel command line parameter set appropriately.
The info you quoted is outdated... refer to my How To for the latest. My lirc setup script now gets lircd.conf and lircrc from the tftp server if present, so you shouldn't have to do anything other than put the files there. I only added that feature last weekend so it might be broken... let me know how you go.

Itai
gellerm
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:04 pm

Segmentation fault on booting Itai MiniMyth

Post by gellerm »

First I was getting a black screen with a single white dot. Log showed it to be a mysql problem. Fixed that and now I get a segmentation fault.

How far can I get Itai MiniMyth to work without redoing my backend with CVS? I wanted to at least get a good boot on Itai before I dumped my working backend (installed with apt-get from Jerod's HOWTO) and reinstalled with CVS.
corwin
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Segmentation fault on booting Itai MiniMyth

Post by corwin »

gellerm wrote:First I was getting a black screen with a single white dot. Log showed it to be a mysql problem. Fixed that and now I get a segmentation fault.

How far can I get Itai MiniMyth to work without redoing my backend with CVS? I wanted to at least get a good boot on Itai before I dumped my working backend (installed with apt-get from Jerod's HOWTO) and reinstalled with CVS.
I think you should be able to get as far as MythTV saying it can't connect to the backend... can you find what is segfaulting and where? Telnet into the frontend and try to cat /var/log/mythfrontend.log.
JonW
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: The Myth Does Not Rest

Post by JonW »

corwin wrote:My lirc setup script now gets lircd.conf and lircrc from the tftp server if present, so you shouldn't have to do anything other than put the files there.
Hmmm, I've put the files there, and when I telnet into my frontend, I see my lircd.conf in /etc and lircrc in /root/.mythtv. My remote still doesn't work - I'll let you know how I get on troubleshooting it.

Other than that, I'm very impressed with this minimyth. Thanks for all your hard work!

As an aside, does anyone know if the unichrome drivers will handle HDTV playback? Playing SD, my CPU's at ~20%, so there should be enough grunt. When I first bought my EPIA, I ran up XP on it to make sure everything was working. At that time, playing back HDTV didn't work - I don't know if that's a limitation of the chipset, or Via's Windows driver.

Cheers,

Jon
corwin
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: The Myth Does Not Rest

Post by corwin »

JonW wrote:
corwin wrote:My lirc setup script now gets lircd.conf and lircrc from the tftp server if present, so you shouldn't have to do anything other than put the files there.
Hmmm, I've put the files there, and when I telnet into my frontend, I see my lircd.conf in /etc and lircrc in /root/.mythtv. My remote still doesn't work - I'll let you know how I get on troubleshooting it.
If you like, email me at itai(at)tavor.net and I'll help you debug the remote... only thing I can suggest without more info is to run irw and see if anything is received from the remote.

Itai
lmatter
Contributor
Posts: 632
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:13 pm
Location: California, USA

Post by lmatter »

I finally got a spare moment to try this. Once I added the rootfstype arg to my pxe config file the kernel stopped spewing stacktraces on my screen :-)

Anyway, it started up just fine. Now I need to reinstall mythtv 0.16 (cvs I guess) to test playback.

One thing I noticed is that it seems built for only nehemiahs. I have some of the older machines; are you interested in building in a compatible way to support them? I can help you out with that.

It seems to start up *much* faster that the current 0.5.1. Especially X starts up very quickly. Any idea why?

I also like how you made /etc a tmpfs. Much less complicated than translucency. I also didn't realize you could put a mysql.txt in ~/.mythtv which obviates the need to make /usr/share (or /usr/local/share) writable.

Nice work corwin.
Larry
Post Reply