MiniMyth Torture Edition (aka MiniMyth-myth cvs, kern 2.6.x)

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

JonW,
Have you tried running irw to see if lircd recognizes your remote? Also, I don't think the CLE266 can handle HDTV.

Larry
JonW

Post by JonW »

Larry, Itai,

I haven't had much chance to troubleshoot this yet - hopefully I'll have more time this weekend. I did notice that I don't have a lircd running. I tried removing my lircrc and lircd.conf files, so everything's as supplied. Rebooted, and still no lircd. Any hints?

Cheers,

Jon
corwin

Post by corwin »

JonW wrote:Larry, Itai,

I haven't had much chance to troubleshoot this yet - hopefully I'll have more time this weekend. I did notice that I don't have a lircd running. I tried removing my lircrc and lircd.conf files, so everything's as supplied. Rebooted, and still no lircd. Any hints?
Nothing obvious comes to mind... what happens if you run /sbin/lircd manually?
corwin

Post by corwin »

lmatter wrote:I finally got a spare moment to try this. Once I added the rootfstype arg to my pxe config file the kernel stopped spewing stacktraces on my screen :-)
RTFM! He he ;)
One thing I noticed is that it seems built for only nehemiahs. I have some of the older machines; are you interested in building in a compatible way to support them? I can help you out with that.
I don't have any other EPIA boards and don't know much about them... how would I create a build that's good for all versions? The compiler optimizations would have to be changed for Ezra processors, and the kernel can only be optimized for a single processor type...

If it's possible to create a build that would work on all EPIA boards while still being fully optimized for the M10000, I wouldn't mind doing that.
It seems to start up *much* faster that the current 0.5.1. Especially X starts up very quickly. Any idea why?
Yeah, secret receipt! ;)

Seriously, don't know why, specifically... the 2.6 kernel is faster, and I used the best optimization settings I could find for both Myth and X. Guess it paid off.
I also like how you made /etc a tmpfs. Much less complicated than translucency. I also didn't realize you could put a mysql.txt in ~/.mythtv which obviates the need to make /usr/share (or /usr/local/share) writable.

Nice work corwin.
Larry
Stop it! Too much praise! :) All I did was take your excellent setup and do everything it took to make it work with kernel 2.6.x and Myth 0.16...

Itai
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Well, no, you can't (that I know of) "fully" optimize for the nehemiah and be compatible with the ezra cpus. But you can optimize for MMX which they both have in common and I think that is what MythTV uses mostly.

I set the CPU type to Pentium 3 MMX (CONFIG_M586MMX) in the kernel so that both machines can boot, and then I change all the myth settings.pro files from -march=pentiumpro to -march=i586.

I don't know how much of a difference that makes but it is easy to try (albeit time consuming to wait for the rebuild).

The only nehemiah I have is the one in the family room so I can only play when no one else is using it. If you want to, and can build this compatible with ezra then I can tinker in my bat cave (garage) and not bother any one. Up to you though.

Larry
chandlerpaul

Post by chandlerpaul »

JonW wrote:Larry, Itai,

Cheers,

Jon
I had similar problems getting the remote working. Are there any messages in the lirc log file in /var/log. ( not sure what the exact name is as I dont have access to the mini myth box here )

I was getting error messages about missing files ( again can't remember the exact message )in there. I ended up looking at /etc/scripts/lirc.script
and was a bit confused as to why they were so different for com1 and com2:

Code: Select all

if [ "$LIRC" = "homebrew1" ]; then
    # homebrew on com1
    mknod /tmp/lirc c 61 0
    modprobe lirc_serial type=0 irq=4 io=0x03f8
    cp /etc/configfiles/lircd.conf.homebrew /etc/lircd.conf
    /sbin/lircd.homebrew
elif [ "$LIRC" = "homebrew2" ]; then
    # homebrew on com2
    mknod /dev/lirc c 61 0
    modprobe lirc_serial type=0 irq=3 io=0x02f8
    cp /etc/configfiles/lircd.conf.igor /etc/lircd.conf
#    /sbin/lircd.homebrew
    /sbin/lircd
fi

So with lots of trial and error I found that the following in the preapp.script worked for com1.

mknod /dev/lirc c 61 0
    /sbin/lircd -d /dev/lirc

and I set the LIRC=none into the APPEND parameters.

The first stage to this is to find out if the box is receiving the remote commands either using irw or irrecord.

Also to answer gellerm question. I originally had this running with a 0.16 backend. There was certainly not crashes and the navigation around the screens worked fine. When it did need to connect to the backend this was handled nicely with a message saying the protocols did not match.

Finally thanks so much to Itai for creating this. I have spend almost 3 months trying to get my epia box to work with various versions of myth, recently discovering that it had a new version of the cle266 chip. Now thanks to Itai I have a version that supports the new cle266, a myth box in the lounge and 3 months of recordings I can now watch!

Thanks

Paul
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Well, this is quite impressive. I finished installing a backend from CVS (yesterday's) and got this frontend running. Took a *long* time to build mythtv on my ME6000.

The remote didn't work but vnc did so I had no problems controlling it.
LiveTV worked and the picture quality is very nice. Not 100% perfect but better than 0.5.1 It seems sharper. Of course, like I said before, my 0.16 backend machine has a different PVR card than my production 0.15.1 machine.

Playback was smooth. OSD fades didn't seem to be a problem. I thought I noticed the audio sync being off just a bit but not enough to bother me. Anyone else notice this?

Music played just fine.
Images worked fine too. OpenGL transitions also worked (they don't in 0.5.1) but they were sooooooooo slow. Unusable. That's fine, the normal transitions are fine for me.

I didn't try anything else.

Now I have to go try Hairlocks bloated edition...

Larry
JonW

Post by JonW »

chandlerpaul wrote:So with lots of trial and error I found that the following in the preapp.script worked for com1.

mknod /dev/lirc c 61 0
    /sbin/lircd -d /dev/lirc
and I set the LIRC=none into the APPEND parameters.
Paul,

Thanks for saving me the same trial and error! I have made some progress. With these lines added to my preapp.script, and LIRC=none, I get this in my lircd log:-

Nov 24 11:54:43 myth2 lircd 0.7.0pre7: could not open config file '/etc/lircd.conf'
Nov 24 11:54:43 myth2 lircd 0.7.0pre7: No such file or directory
Nov 24 11:54:43 myth2 lircd 0.7.0pre7: lircd(serial) ready
It seems that lircd starts, can't find lircd.conf, and exits. If I subsequently start lircd manually (/sbin/lircd -d /dev/lirc) it starts up fine, and I can run irw and see signals. That says to me that lircd is starting up before lircd.conf makes it into /etc. I don't know how to get around that.

Once it's running, I stall can't get Myth to see the button presses. irw works, so that's OK. I've modified my lircrc for Myth's native lirc support (rather than using irxevent) but still no joy. Is there a way to see if lirc is passing button presses to Myth?

I have a few other issues at the moment:-

1) My clock is all over the place. I've copied localtime to my tftp root, and set the hardware clock to UTC. Each time I reboot, the clock seems to gain a day or so.

2) If I exit Myth (or try to reboot/poweroff from telnet) Myth exits, the video signal dies, telnet dies, but the machine doesn't power off.

3) Booting up is somewhat unreliable. Proably 50% of the time, I successfully get into Myth. Otherwise, I get a segfault somewhere around loading the USB drivers, or I get a black screen with a dot, but no further.

4) Mplayer starts up with a window title bar.

Any assistance on these other issues would be greatlly appreciated, as always!

Cheers,

Jon
corwin

<Duck!>

Post by corwin »

Ok... so much to reply to.

First, the /etc/scripts/lirc.script which contains the line

cp /etc/configfiles/lircd.conf.igor /etc/lircd.conf
is an old version, using a hardcoded config file for my frontend (which is named igor). This was fixed in the version included in the current root fs on my site. However, that script has another bug - the mknod for homebrew1 should create /dev/lirc, not tmp/lirc. The next build will include a fixed script. And, apologies for the buggy script. Bad me, <slap>, etc.

Regarding testing lirc by starting /sbin/lircd manually, I think lircd has to be running when myth starts. So you need to do:

# killall mythfrontend
# /sbin/lircd
# xinit
About clock problems, Jon: I don't think my hw clock is set to UTC... are you using an NTP server to set the clock? That along with the appropriate /etc/localtime should get you the correct time. Make sure /etc/localtime really was copied to the frontend, and try to run /etc/time.sh manually to see if it works.

Power off (using /sbin/poweroff) works fine for me, if it doesn't it's most likely a wrong BIOS setting. On the other hand, the remote power key doesn't work. Oh well... got to have something to complain about.

For OpenGL to be fast 3D DRI needs to be fixed. Haven't done that yet. DRI is a major pain. In fact, I think the DRI project is run by Microsoft.

Larry, I also noticed audio sync problems, the severity changes with different myth builds... it's better in my current build, I'll try to upload it this weekend. I'm so busy, I'm like... someone... who's real busy... hmm.

Jon, not sure why your mplayer starts with a titlebar... what is your Video Player command set to? It should be just mplayer %s, all settings are hardcoded in /root/.mplayer/config.

Now, to the Ezra-compatible build issue, Larry: Both myth and X are built with Nehemiah-specific optimizations, so that's a lot of recompilation plus much potential for slowdowns. Do the existing binaries completely fail to run on Ezra? Should I provide a CONFIG_M586MMX kernel so you can test the binaries? Or is it all-or-nothing?

Question: Does anyone want to be able to customize the mplayer config and input.conf files?

I'm also a question: Is anyone not using the NFS-based /root/.mythtv directory? Having a writable directory on your server makes it easy to install custom config files, so minimyth doesn't have to get files from the tftp server. If everyone's doing that, we could make the mplayer config customizable by simply linking /root/.mplayer to /root/.mythtv/mplayer.

Itai

P.S. A working Myth setup is a Very Good Thing(tm). It took me almost a year to get there. After that, IMO, any remaining problems are just minor details.
JonW

Re: <Duck!>

Post by JonW »

corwin wrote:Regarding testing lirc by starting /sbin/lircd manually, I think lircd has to be running when myth starts. So you need to do:

# killall mythfrontend
# /sbin/lircd
# xinit
Bingo. I now have a working remote. I just need to automate this. Any idea why I have to start lirc manually?
corwin wrote:I don't think my hw clock is set to UTC... are you using an NTP server to set the clock? That along with the appropriate /etc/localtime should get you the correct time. Make sure /etc/localtime really was copied to the frontend, and try to run /etc/time.sh manually to see if it works.
I've changed my ntp server APPEND argument. I can set the clock OK. I shall let you know how I get on (the TV is being watched at the moment, so rebooting's out!)
corwin wrote:Power off (using /sbin/poweroff) works fine for me, if it doesn't it's most likely a wrong BIOS setting.

OK, I'll have a fiddle in the BIOS.
corwin wrote:IMO, any remaining problems are just minor details.
Absolutely agree. Thanks again for your continuing efforts.

Cheers,

Jon
corwin

Re: <Duck!>

Post by corwin »

JonW wrote:
corwin wrote:Regarding testing lirc by starting /sbin/lircd manually, I think lircd has to be running when myth starts. So you need to do:

# killall mythfrontend
# /sbin/lircd
# xinit
Bingo. I now have a working remote. I just need to automate this. Any idea why I have to start lirc manually?
You're unlucky? ;)

Seriously...not off hand. Which root fs are you using? Can I see your tftpboot config file and the /etc/scripts/lirc.script in your rootfs?

Itai
chandlerpaul

Post by chandlerpaul »

JonW wrote: Thanks for saving me the same trial and error! I have made some progress. With these lines added to my preapp.script, and LIRC=none, I get this in my lircd log:-

Nov 24 11:54:43 myth2 lircd 0.7.0pre7: could not open config file '/etc/lircd.conf'
Nov 24 11:54:43 myth2 lircd 0.7.0pre7: No such file or directory
Nov 24 11:54:43 myth2 lircd 0.7.0pre7: lircd(serial) ready
It seems that lircd starts, can't find lircd.conf, and exits. If I subsequently start lircd manually (/sbin/lircd -d /dev/lirc) it starts up fine, and I can run irw and see signals. That says to me that lircd is starting up before lircd.conf makes it into /etc. I don't know how to get around that.
Jon,

Sorry I have re checked my scripts and found that it looks like I had the same problem as the lines above in the script were:

export TFTPSERVER=`cat /tmp/tftpserverip`
/etc/getit.sh lircd.conf /etc/lircd.conf $TFTPSERVER
This copies my lircd.conf into the correct place before it is needed.

Hope this helps.

Paul
ozuzo

Post by ozuzo »

First of all, this is the first time I can hear an mp3 playing through the S/PDIF output of my epia. Yeah!

Minor problem though: I only have any sound output when running "mplayer -ao alsa" on a mp3 file. Both MythTV and MythMusic have no sound at all.

I've tried various settings for the output and mixer devices (ALSA:default, ALSA:hw:0,0, ALSA:via82xx, /dev/sound/adsp, /dev/sound/dsp, /dev/sound/mixer) - al to no avail.

Could anyone shed any light on what Myth settings I need to get any sound output?
chandlerpaul

Edit/cutlist problems

Post by chandlerpaul »

Itai,

I have this up and running for a couple of months now and it wonderfully stable, in fact I have just checked the box and the up time is currently 32 days!

So many many thanks to the work you and countless others have done to produce this system.

The box is fully integrated into the household now, which has hilighted a very small problem. My two three year olds love the films we recorded over Christmas, but they keep having to tell us that "Mary Poppins has gone" I then have to fast forward over the commercials. So I investigated cutlists but could not get them to work. Searching the myth lists, I came across this thread: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/m ... ist;#96983

The thread concludes that the problem is fixed in CVS now, so I was wondering if you have any plans to produce a new version at any time that would pickup this fix ?

I am in no rush, and it is only a minor problem, so feel free to say no .

Thanks

Paul
corwin

Re: Edit/cutlist problems

Post by corwin »

chandlerpaul wrote:Itai,

I have this up and running for a couple of months now and it wonderfully stable, in fact I have just checked the box and the up time is currently 32 days!

So many many thanks to the work you and countless others have done to produce this system.
Thanks for the feedback! Glad it's working for you.
The thread concludes that the problem is fixed in CVS now, so I was wondering if you have any plans to produce a new version at any time that would pickup this fix ?

I am in no rush, and it is only a minor problem, so feel free to say no .

Thanks

Paul
This is a very painful question. The truth is, I've been tracking the CVS regularly on my system, and have been having nothing but bad luck. In fact, the build you're using is the last one that worked reliably. My current build has a broken MythMusic (I haven't been able to compile MythMusic since mid-December), broken fonts and serious prebuffering pause issues.

Unlike you and other users, I don't have a working frontend :( ... so I'm going to keep trying to get a good build, and as soon as I got one I'll post it. I might post a forum request for help. I've been real busy with real work so I haven't had time to do that yet.

Itai