MiniMyth rel-0.17beta1

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo »

Does anyone have their frontend crash if you hit the "go back" (esc key) on the base menu, instead of getting the "are you sure you want to exit" warning?

Edit: Simple explanation, somehow that setting cleared in my frontend definition. a simple checkbox fixed that. :oops:
Last edited by Eduardo on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MartinE75

Post by MartinE75 »

Larry,

i haven't had much time for testing until now.

>> After trying to start X, X complains "Cannot open device /dev/input/mice"
> Uncomment and set MM_LOGFILE to /tmp/something in the minimyth.conf file (in your
> <PXEROOT>/conf directory) and look for other error messages (please don't post the
> whole log though).

Following your tipp with MM_LOGFILE, something seems to be completly wrong since i don't even get the logfile. I am sure to use the correct conf-directory since i can for example disable X-startup.

Before the mouse-error, i found:
error opening security policy file //usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy

Well, neither this file nor /dev/input is there.

I think i just don't understand the files i downloaded - i just put both in my PXEROOT and setup the configuration for tftp to boot the kernel and the rootfs.
Do i have to merge the *.c3 and *.c3-2 files???

I know these are stupid questions :-)

Martin
Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo »

MartinE75 wrote:I think i just don't understand the files i downloaded - i just put both in my PXEROOT and setup the configuration for tftp to boot the kernel and the rootfs.
Do i have to merge the *.c3 and *.c3-2 files???

The .c3 is for c3 processors (I think up to M10000 Ezra), the c3-2 is for nehmiah and better processors (I think M10000 Nehmiah and better).

You would point to the appropriate kernel (was BZImage) and rootFS in the pxelinux.cfg/default file.

Ed.
Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Compile on amd64

Post by Pablo »

zNightLite wrote:Hi,

Any chance on getting it to compile again on AMD64? Or, using a cross i686 compiler? It uses to compile. I had tried a number of hack. It is failing at compiling gcc, such as missiong crt*.o, libc.so.6, or can not find include file.

-Loc
Something in the cross build evironment is picking up something from the native build environment. I have not tracked it down. It causes crashes of things such as MythWeather. As a workaround, I force the native build environment to build for the i586 processor, which is a processor that is compatible with the c3 and c3-2 processors. Until the problem is tracked down, GAR MiniMyth will only build on i586 compatible systems.
MartinE75

Post by MartinE75 »

Thanks for the info, this means at least i am not completely wrong.

Well, the question is why i don't have the /dev/input node or better: do you have /dev/input nodes?

I have an VIA Epia M9000 board using the c3 version of kernel and rootfs. Maybe somthing is a little bit different to the M10000 boards.

Any suggestions?

Thanks to everybody so far
notfred

Post by notfred »

Just an update on my shimmering problem - I fixed it!

The problem is in the default xorg.conf, it sets TVDotCrawl to true. Theoretically this should result in a better picture because it enables some extra filtering that should stop NTSC dot crawl artifacts. However, I'm fairly sure that my television (Sony KV32HS500) does something similar internally as it upconverts the signal to a 960i and this causes a shimmering effect, probably with the two filters beating against each other. Setting TVDotCrawl to false fixed it for me. I just added a custom xorg.conf to be uploaded with the rest of my config files.

I suppose the question is now whether other people show an improvement by setting this to true, if the majority do then obviously it should be left as true but maybe with a note that it can cause shimmering on some sets. If it isn't making a difference to others and is harming some then perhaps the default should be changed to false.
Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo »

MartinE75 wrote:Well, the question is why i don't have the /dev/input node or better: do you have /dev/input nodes?
I don't have it either. I think I see the same error messages (input and Security), I think it is safe to ignore.

Here's my list on my M10000 using the .c3 kernel and rootfs

Code: Select all

/ # ls /dev
adsp        dsp         mixer       sequencer2  tty         vcsa2
agpgart     fd          null        shm         tty0        zero
audio       lirc0       ptmx        snd         tty1
console     lircd       pts         stderr      tty2
core        log         random      stdin       urandom
dri         mem         sequencer   stdout      vcs2
notfred

Post by notfred »

Martin,
I don't have the mouse on mine, I don't know what you would need a mouse for with minimyth.

I suspect you have a custom xorg.conf that is missing the allowmouseopenfail option, here's the relevent chunks of my xorg.conf:

Code: Select all

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option      "XkbDisable"
    Option      "allowmouseopenfail"
    Option      "blank time"   "0"
    Option      "standby time" "0"
    Option      "suspend time" "0"
    Option      "off time"     "0"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Protocol"     "PS/2"
    Option      "Device"       "/dev/input/mice"
    Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

MartinE75

Post by MartinE75 »

notfred: i am using the default xorg.conf file where the option "allowmouseopenfail" is set.

The most likely reason why the X server shuts down immediately after startup is a wrong screen resolution for my TV - although i see the GUI and X-mousepointer for a few seconds - grrhhh

I will give it a try with my TFT screen as soon as i have time.

Thanks for the your support!
notfred

Post by notfred »

If it is actually getting the stipled background and X mousepointer up then X is starting and it isn't an X resolution problem, resolution problems wouldn't even get you that far,

I would guess that it is then failing to start mythfrontend for some reason and X is shutting down as there are no programs running. If the setting of environment variables isn't getting you a log file, you could always try manually setting the log options in /root/.xinitrc for mythfrontend.
Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo »

Anyone get their DVD working?
I get an error on mine
Mar 2 18:21:13 (none) user.warn kernel: hda: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Mar 2 18:21:13 (none) user.warn kernel: hda: command error: error=0x54
Mar 2 18:21:13 (none) user.warn kernel: ide: failed opcode was 100
Mar 2 18:21:13 (none) user.warn kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 269080
Mar 2 18:21:13 (none) user.err kernel: Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 67270
A google search seems to point to a possible udev thing. The udev installed is 052 (I think) but 054 is the current version, no idea though.

EDIT: Okay, so it doesn't play factory DVD's only unencrypted ones... I seem to recall some paranoia about "supplying" the libs. How does one go about adding the css libs? Yarh!
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Eduardo wrote:EDIT: Okay, so it doesn't play factory DVD's only unencrypted ones... I seem to recall some paranoia about "supplying" the libs. How does one go about adding the css libs? Yarh!
You need libdvdcss.so.2.

If you build GAR MiniMyth from source, then it will build libdvdcss.so.2 and put it in the 'lib' directory in the 'extras' tarball. The 'extras' tarball is downloaded from the TFTP server and extracted into /usr/local on the front end. GAR MiniMyth searches /usr/local/lib for libraries (and /usr/local/bin for binaries) before it searches /usr/lib (and /usr/bin).

If you do not build GAR MiniMyth from source, then you will need to create an 'extras' tarball with libdvdcss.so.2 in the 'lib' directory.

If you do not want to create a tarball, you can remotely mount the /usr/local directory by pointing MM_EXTRAS_URL to the remote directory.
MartinE75

Post by MartinE75 »

SOLVED: My problem was that i had VISOR as default theme which is no longer part of mythtv - as long as i understand.

I don't know why mythfrontend didn't write the logfile :-(

Thanks to all of you for this great piece of work!!!!
Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo »

Yep I recommend (see the docs thread) renaming your frontend to blow away your settings, and reconfiguring from scratch. Solved a bunch of weird little issues.

Not sure what's with the logging, whether it's cause there is logging to the DB now, or because you need to turn debug in minimyth.conf?
cyrus007

Howto load new kernel modules ...

Post by cyrus007 »

From the perspective of end users, without messing with the gar build system or the existing rootfs system, is there a way to add kernel modules ? I know we can add applications/packages using the EXTRAS_URL method and I wanted to see if we can extend that functionality to custom kernel drivers (the rootfs being a read-only fs). That way I can get just the .config, add my extra modules and move those modules only.
-cyrus