MiniMyth rel-0.17beta1

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

cyrus007

Re: Howto load new kernel modules ...

Post by cyrus007 »

I wanted to split the thread but did not know howto so I will continue here...
Pablo wrote: A few extra drivers will not make a noticable difference in the size.
Using the MM_EXTRAS_URL, you can replace add/replace programs and libraries. It is only kernel modules that cannot be added.

As I mentioned, kernel modules can be more difficult. Often they need you to use the same compiler. After installing them, you should run depmod which needs write access to the kernel modules directory.

MiniMyth contains the latest version of MPLayer, but it does not include any codecs not included with MPlayer. MPlayer can use binary W*ndows codecs. However, this has not been configured in the MiniMyth version of MPlayer. Is VLC using binary W*ndows codecs?
Actually the problem I am having is mounting reiserfs partition. The current version does not have any extra filesystems other than basic ones. Concievebly people might have different kinds of other filesystems (ext2/ext3/reiserfs/reiser4/vfat/winFS) which they might want to load at run time.
For example:
1) I have a PATA disk which holds my music collection on a reiserfs partition.
2) Attach an USB storage which has a vfat partition I share with my win box.
3) I have a USB pen drive I use to move files which I would like to attach and view pictures (I haven't tested if viewing pictures from USB camera will work, presumably it will need fat-fs)

I was thinking of providing a mechanism to load modules as separate packages loaded from tftp server, the way 'default' version of MM_EXTRAS_URL work.
-cyrus
Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Howto load new kernel modules ...

Post by Pablo »

cyrus007 wrote:Actually the problem I am having is mounting reiserfs partition. The current version does not have any extra filesystems other than basic ones. Concievebly people might have different kinds of other filesystems (ext2/ext3/reiserfs/reiser4/vfat/winFS) which they might want to load at run time.
For example:
1) I have a PATA disk which holds my music collection on a reiserfs partition.
2) Attach an USB storage which has a vfat partition I share with my win box.
3) I have a USB pen drive I use to move files which I would like to attach and view pictures (I haven't tested if viewing pictures from USB camera will work, presumably it will need fat-fs)
Ah, you want to add disks to a diskless frontend. :)
I was thinking of providing a mechanism to load modules as separate packages loaded from tftp server, the way 'default' version of MM_EXTRAS_URL work.
-cyrus
As I mentioned before, the problem with doing this has been the lack of write access to /lib/modules. However, I just stumbled across unionfs. With unionfs I can make the /lib/modules directory have write access. Once this is included, you should be able to add custom kernel modules.
cyrus007

Possibility of MythStream

Post by cyrus007 »

On another note ... is there a possibility to get MythStream into this version of minimyth. If not can we have it in EXTRAS directory.
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Without having looked at it, I have to say It's very possible now that you can get the source and build it :-)

Seriously, give it a try (anybody, not just cyrus007). We'd be glad to help more people help contribute.

Larry
telsin
Contributor

mythVideo controls?

Post by telsin »

Is it just me, or should I report this as a bug?

I have no keyboard control in mythVideo, can't even hit escape to back out of the video that's playing...

This is in the precompiled beta, havn't gotten enough disk space sorted yet to run the gar build and get up to speed on the latest revisions.
Pablo
Site Admin

Re: mythVideo controls?

Post by Pablo »

telsin wrote:Is it just me, or should I report this as a bug?

I have no keyboard control in mythVideo, can't even hit escape to back out of the video that's playing...

This is in the precompiled beta, havn't gotten enough disk space sorted yet to run the gar build and get up to speed on the latest revisions.
Are you running the X window manager. MPlayer will not take keyboard input without the window X manager?
telsin
Contributor

Post by telsin »

Pablo wrote:
telsin wrote:Is it just me, or should I report this as a bug?

Are you running the X window manager. MPlayer will not take keyboard input without the window X manager?
Ah, no, probably not. It's disabled in the minimyth.conf file as distributed, and I hadn't changed it.

Yeap, that did the trick. Any negatives to running with the window manager?
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

telsin wrote:Any negatives to running with the window manager?
None that I am aware of.
cyrus007

Mythstream needs perl modules ...

Post by cyrus007 »

While on the topic of MythStream ...
lmatter wrote:Without having looked at it, I have to say It's very possible now that you can get the source and build it :-)

Seriously, give it a try (anybody, not just cyrus007). We'd be glad to help more people help contribute.

Larry
Found out that some part of it relies on perl-XML-Simple and perl-XML-DOM which I donot think will be available on this platform anytime soon. Let's see what's the alternative.
-cyrus007