Gar-minimyth for other processors/motherboards

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

gugux
Contributor

Re: Other Hardware

Post by gugux »

qortra wrote:I have rel-0.18beta1 working on an AMD Duron with onboard Nvidia graphics and Nforce network (quite nasty; uses experimental reverse-engineered drivers in kernel 2.6.11.7).

Firstly, I did not use gar. The pre-compiled binaries seem to work just fine on the Duron, so I pretty much mounted the cramfs image on a loopback device and populated a new image directory with its files (just make sure that you get all the directories there. I think "cp -a" didn't manage to get all of the empty directories, and I have no idea why that is). In any case, not having to compile the whole thing saves a lot of time.
Sure, but I like the idea of trying to make gar functionning :-)
qortra wrote:Secondly, I did end up having to compile my own kernel with the hardware support that I need. Now, of course, the default minimyth images comes with modules compiled against the default minimyth kernel. These become useless to you, so you might as well delete them. However, you absolutely need to make sure that you replace the "Unionfs" module. Download the source (google for it) and compile it against your custom kernel. You might also want to stick a line in the "/etc/rc" file towards the beginning to load it (something like "insmod /lib/modules/2.6.11.7/kernel/fs/unionfs.ko" if that's where you put it). gugux, this is the answer to your read-only fs problem! Most likely, unionfs hasn't been loaded for some reason (whether you're using gar to build everything or not). Do an "lsmod" to see if it's loaded.
Yes, I think it ocmes from that too. But I don't get why the gar scripts don't apply the patch to my linux files.
qortra wrote:Thirdly, with respect to the video drivers, just put any drivers that you need in "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers", and then edit the xorg.conf accordingly. I used the nvidia open source driver nv_drv.o which I actually copied from an XFree86 4.3 install (didn't think it would work, but it did). I don't really think you need that much hardware accelleration to do mythtv unless you have fancy visualizations going.

Some of this is quite a pain, but if you do it right, it should be startlingly easy (and time efficient) to make future minimyth versions compatible with your hardware. Certainly, your kernel and unionfs module can be recycled for the future.

Qortra
I have still problems to understand how to use gar, but it's quite powerful for sure. My main problem is to change stuff and have it recompile only what has been changed ... Anyway, I think that if I solve my unionfs problem everything should now work.

Thanks for your help !
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

gugux wrote:Yes, I think it ocmes from that too. But I don't get why the gar scripts don't apply the patch to my linux files.
The kernel module packages that are built outside of the kernel (kernel/alsa-drivers, kernel/drm, kernel/unionfs and lirc/*) do not patch the kernel. They are built separately. In addition, the install phase of the kernel/linux package removes everything in the kernel modules directory. As a result, the kernel module packages should be built and must be installed after the kernel/linux packages.
I have still problems to understand how to use gar, but it's quite powerful for sure. My main problem is to change stuff and have it recompile only what has been changed ... Anyway, I think that if I solve my unionfs problem everything should now work.
Unfortunately, GAR does not appear to check the build time stamps of packages. As a result, it does not rebuild packages that should be rebuilt as a result of another packages being rebuilt.
gugux
Contributor

Post by gugux »

Pablo wrote:
gugux wrote:Yes, I think it ocmes from that too. But I don't get why the gar scripts don't apply the patch to my linux files.
The kernel module packages that are built outside of the kernel (kernel/alsa-drivers, kernel/drm, kernel/unionfs and lirc/*) do not patch the kernel. They are built separately. In addition, the install phase of the kernel/linux package removes everything in the kernel modules directory. As a result, the kernel module packages should be built and must be installed after the kernel/linux packages.
Yes, that's what I thought. So I recompiled and reinstalled unionfs patch after the kernel and now it works well. No pb of readonly FS.
Pablo wrote:
Unfortunately, GAR does not appear to check the build time stamps of packages. As a result, it does not rebuild packages that should be rebuilt as a result of another packages being rebuilt.
Hum, too bad ... :-|
Eduardo
Contributor

Post by Eduardo »

Hmm this seems a little like re-inventing Knoppmyth
Eduardo
-- M10000-Ezra 512M minimyth-0.19 / AMD 1.1 GHz 512M PVR350 w/tvout Myth 0.19 knoppmyth.R5B7
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Eduardo wrote:Hmm this seems a little like re-inventing Knoppmyth
I am inclined to agree. If someone wants a binary distribution that will run on any hardware, then Knoppmyth is an easier choice.

However, if someone wants a distribution targeted at their hardware that they can customize, then I cannot fault them for adapting MiniMyth. Afterall, that is why I started working on MiniMyth. I wanted to be able to tweak it to my liking and get it running on bleeding edge hardware (e.g. VIA EPIA SP8000E).
gugux
Contributor

Post by gugux »

Eduardo wrote:Hmm this seems a little like re-inventing Knoppmyth
I don't think knoppmyth is 50 Mo large and able to be booted through network. That's my main interest in minimyth ...
gugux
Contributor

Post by gugux »

qortra wrote:
MiniMyth has several kernel modules that are compiled outside the kernel: alsa, drm, unionfs, lirc_serial, lirc_serial, lirc_mceusb and lirc_zapstream. If you do not need the newer versions, then you can compile alsa and drm as part of the kernel. If you do not need the lirc kernel modules, then you can skip them as well (you do not need them for IRMAN compatibile or ATI receivers). However, as mentioned, you do need unionfs or things will fail.
Right; I did compile alsa as part of the kernel, and I did not need lirc (actually, I was under the apparently false impression that lirc was strictly userspace and just used the kernels serial drivers).
Even if you wanted to, it is unlikely that you will be able to get hardware accelaration working very easily. Xine, MPlayer and MythTV have been compiled with XvMC-VLD support not XvMC support and they have been linked against libviaXvMC.
I assumed as much, although I did imagine that if I installed the nvidia closed-source drivers, I might be able install a 3d accellerated visualization for the mythmusic plugin. In either case, neither DRM nor any other hardware accelleration were particularly important to me as my Duron 900 ran everything that I needed it to without problems.
The init scripts modprobe unionfs. If it is failing, it is likely that you did not do a depmod after building and installing unionfs.
Yeah, I noticed that they were trying load it, and I didn't know why the modprobe failed while the insmod succeeded. Thanks!

One more thing that I ran into was the alsa configuration. I don't think that the /etc/asoundrc file gets read by default. I had to change the name to /etc/alsa.conf for it to be read properly, and of course I needed to modify it to work with my nforce onboard audio (gugux, you will probably want to modify that file as well if your sound doesn't work at first). My alsa configuration now works pretty well (buffered nicely and everything), though I still can't get the ac3 passthrough to work properly. oh well.
Now I have almost everything working except the sound ! Please please tell me what you did exactly to have it working ! Your config files interest me ;-)
gugux
Contributor

Post by gugux »

gugux wrote:
qortra wrote:
MiniMyth has several kernel modules that are compiled outside the kernel: alsa, drm, unionfs, lirc_serial, lirc_serial, lirc_mceusb and lirc_zapstream. If you do not need the newer versions, then you can compile alsa and drm as part of the kernel. If you do not need the lirc kernel modules, then you can skip them as well (you do not need them for IRMAN compatibile or ATI receivers). However, as mentioned, you do need unionfs or things will fail.
Right; I did compile alsa as part of the kernel, and I did not need lirc (actually, I was under the apparently false impression that lirc was strictly userspace and just used the kernels serial drivers).
Even if you wanted to, it is unlikely that you will be able to get hardware accelaration working very easily. Xine, MPlayer and MythTV have been compiled with XvMC-VLD support not XvMC support and they have been linked against libviaXvMC.
I assumed as much, although I did imagine that if I installed the nvidia closed-source drivers, I might be able install a 3d accellerated visualization for the mythmusic plugin. In either case, neither DRM nor any other hardware accelleration were particularly important to me as my Duron 900 ran everything that I needed it to without problems.
The init scripts modprobe unionfs. If it is failing, it is likely that you did not do a depmod after building and installing unionfs.
Yeah, I noticed that they were trying load it, and I didn't know why the modprobe failed while the insmod succeeded. Thanks!

One more thing that I ran into was the alsa configuration. I don't think that the /etc/asoundrc file gets read by default. I had to change the name to /etc/alsa.conf for it to be read properly, and of course I needed to modify it to work with my nforce onboard audio (gugux, you will probably want to modify that file as well if your sound doesn't work at first). My alsa configuration now works pretty well (buffered nicely and everything), though I still can't get the ac3 passthrough to work properly. oh well.
Now I have almost everything working except the sound ! Please please tell me what you did exactly to have it working ! Your config files interest me ;-)
Ok, finally found. Just renamed /etc/asoundrc to /etc/alsa.conf and modified the content and everything's ok. Cool :-)