Minimyth memory usage

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

gugux
Contributor

Minimyth memory usage

Post by gugux »

Hi,

It seems like my minimyth frontend is crashing when trying to play a CD because mythfrontend goes "out of memory". When I telnet to the box, top says 210 Mb are used on my 256 Mb physical memory. top says 61 Mb for mythfrontend, 30 Mb for X, and very low for the other processes. Is that normal ? Do you guys have the same amount of memory used ?

Having to put 512 Mb on my two frontends seems a lot to me !

Bye.
Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Minimyth memory usage

Post by Pablo »

gugux wrote:Hi,

It seems like my minimyth frontend is crashing when trying to play a CD because mythfrontend goes "out of memory". When I telnet to the box, top says 210 Mb are used on my 256 Mb physical memory. top says 61 Mb for mythfrontend, 30 Mb for X, and very low for the other processes. Is that normal ? Do you guys have the same amount of memory used ?

Bye.
Yeah, it does seem like alot of memory doesn't. I had never looked at it. For me, it uses about the same amount of memory. And, when I go into MythMusic, it goes up even more (likely due to the fact that I have alot of music) and hits the 256M mark. With the memory used by the onboard AGP graphics, my total memory use exceeds 256M (I have 512M of memory).
gugux
Contributor

Post by gugux »

Pablo wrote:

Bye.
Yeah, it does seem like alot of memory doesn't. I had never looked at it. For me, it uses about the same amount of memory. And, when I go into MythMusic, it goes up even more (likely due to the fact that I have alot of music) and hits the 256M mark. With the memory used by the onboard AGP graphics, my total memory use exceeds 256M (I have 512M of memory).
Ok, so you confirm it. I will try with 512 Mb and see if CD playing works.

Thanks !
gugux
Contributor

Post by gugux »

gugux wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Bye.
Ok, so you confirm it. I will try with 512 Mb and see if CD playing works.

Thanks !
Ok, tried with 512 Mb and it works (wow, 512 Mb is much for a simple frontend !). I must say I have no HDD on my frontends so no swap space ...

Still 2 problems : no cddb info in CD playing and mythweather not working. Any idea, anybody ?
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

gugux wrote:Ok, tried with 512 Mb and it works (wow, 512 Mb is much for a simple frontend !). I must say I have no HDD on my frontends so no swap space ...
Yes, everything is in memory, including the minimyth disk image.
Still 2 problems : no cddb info in CD playing and mythweather not working. Any idea, anybody ?
Can your frontend reach the Internet and can your frontend resolve domain names? When I want to test this, I telnet into my frontend and ping www.mit.edu (since www.mit.edu responds to pings).
drsoran

Post by drsoran »

I've had the same problem with minimyth 0.17 when exiting watching some recordings after awhile.. the frontend crashes. I've just worked around it by lowering the amount of video ram reserved in the BIOS to 16MB (the minimum... 4MB would be more than sufficient), but sometimes I still run out of memory. I ended up modifying the xinitrc script to put minimyth in an infinite loop:

while true ; do
mythfrontend -v all >> "`mm_var_get MM_LOGFILE`" 2>&1
done

So when I exit a recording and it crashes it starts right back up to the main menu and it's not quite as annoying as having to hunt around for a keyboard. I guess the long term solution is to just put a 512MB DIMM in like I have in my test box, but I just never get around to it. ;-)
gugux
Contributor

Post by gugux »

Pablo wrote:
gugux wrote:Ok, tried with 512 Mb and it works (wow, 512 Mb is much for a simple frontend !). I must say I have no HDD on my frontends so no swap space ...
Can your frontend reach the Internet and can your frontend resolve domain names? When I want to test this, I telnet into my frontend and ping www.mit.edu (since www.mit.edu responds to pings).
Yes, good idea, I did not test that, stupid me. I'll try tonight. Thanks !

(BTW : is there PVR 350 support in gar-minimyth ? my other frontend will have this card ...)
gugux
Contributor

Post by gugux »

drsoran wrote:I've had the same problem with minimyth 0.17 when exiting watching some recordings after awhile.. the frontend crashes. I've just worked around it by lowering the amount of video ram reserved in the BIOS to 16MB (the minimum... 4MB would be more than sufficient), but sometimes I still run out of memory. I ended up modifying the xinitrc script to put minimyth in an infinite loop:

while true ; do
mythfrontend -v all >> "`mm_var_get MM_LOGFILE`" 2>&1
done

So when I exit a recording and it crashes it starts right back up to the main menu and it's not quite as annoying as having to hunt around for a keyboard. I guess the long term solution is to just put a 512MB DIMM in like I have in my test box, but I just never get around to it. ;-)
The amount of reserved RAM in the bios, is that for your built-in video card or is it the AGP aperture size parameter ?

For the infinite loop, my frontend crashes for a memory problem, so it'll do it each time if it does not get enough memory ... But nice info to keep anyway, thanks !
gugux
Contributor

Post by gugux »

gugux wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Yes, good idea, I did not test that, stupid me. I'll try tonight. Thanks !

(BTW : is there PVR 350 support in gar-minimyth ? my other frontend will have this card ...)
Stupid stupid me ! Added a resolv.conf file and cddb is ok ! Thanks Pablo !

But mythweather is still not working ... Well, not the most important ...
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

gugux wrote:(BTW : is there PVR 350 support in gar-minimyth ? my other frontend will have this card ...)
There is no support for any MythTV backend functionality, including tuners.
gugux
Contributor

Post by gugux »

Pablo wrote:
gugux wrote:(BTW : is there PVR 350 support in gar-minimyth ? my other frontend will have this card ...)
Are you sure the tuner thing is a backend functionnality ? From the mthtv doc :

---------------------

Frontend-only configuration

Since MythTV uses a client/server architecture, multiple frontend computers can simultaneously access content on a Myth system. Live TV, watching and scheduling recordings, etc. are all possible from multiple frontends.

---------------------

So if I add the PVR support in the kernel maybe that should be enough ?
gugux
Contributor

Post by gugux »

gugux wrote:
Pablo wrote:

---------------------

Since MythTV uses a client/server architecture, multiple frontend computers can simultaneously access content on a Myth system. Live TV, watching and scheduling recordings, etc. are all possible from multiple frontends.

---------------------

From the mythtv doc, it seems I just have to add the ivtv driver (isn't it already there ?).
gugux
Contributor

Post by gugux »

gugux wrote:
gugux wrote:
Pablo wrote: There is no support for any MythTV backend functionality, including tuners.

---------------------

---------------------

From the mythtv doc, it seems I just have to add the ivtv driver (isn't it already there ?).
Ok, my bad. You were right Pablo, TV capture is done by the backend. So either I put my capture card into my backend or I install mythtv backend on my custom frontend ...
gugux
Contributor

Post by gugux »

gugux wrote:
gugux wrote:
gugux wrote: Are you sure the tuner thing is a backend functionnality ? From the mthtv doc :

---------------------

---------------------

Ok, my bad. You were right Pablo, TV capture is done by the backend. So either I put my capture card into my backend or I install mythtv backend on my custom frontend ...
Mythweather was not working because I forgot to relaunch the backend after rebooting the server. Stupid stupid stupid me !!!

Now I've plugged my PVR into the backend and I'm trying to configure the channels. Good progress until now ...