MiniMyth 0.18.1.0rc3

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

Pablo
Site Admin

MiniMyth 0.18.1.0rc3

Post by Pablo »

MiniMyth 0.18.1.0rc3 is available for download. Thanks to a new Unichrome Pro driver, this version fixes the problem with deinterlacing using the CN400 that was still present in 0.18.1.0rc2. Assuming that there are no other problems found that can be fixed, this will be the 0.18.1.0 release.
ozuzo

Post by ozuzo »

Hi,

Please find below a new version of log.script, which allows setting a syslog server in the configuration (I redirect all syslogs to my backend server). Also, I think there is a small bug in env.conf: the MM_LOGFILE is set twice, once before reading minimyth.conf, and once after. The second one I think should be removed, as otherwise you can't set a log file without enabling debugging (as otherwise it is always reset to /dev/null).

Finally, if you could include the lirc_atiusb module in the final release, that would be great.

Regards, Herman

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
################################################################################
# log.script
################################################################################
[ -n "`mm_var_get MM_DEBUG`" ] && set -x

MM_SYSLOG_SERVER=`mm_var_get MM_SYSLOG_SERVER`

if [ "$MM_SYSLOG_SERVER" != "" ] ; then
   MM_SYSLOG_SERVER="-R $MM_SYSLOG_SERVER"
fi

mkdir -p /var/log

syslogd $MM_SYSLOG_SERVER
klogd
zNightLite

Post by zNightLite »

Hi,

For some reason my client is having problem setting the hostname. I had to patch up network.script by this:

[ -n "$HOSTNAME" ] && hostname $HOSTNAME

and then add this to the kernel command line: "HOSTNAME=MythClient1"

Is there an easy way? If doesn't look like udhcpd is setting the hostname properly.

I had to do this for all version since 17.

-Loc
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

zNightLite wrote:Hi,

For some reason my client is having problem setting the hostname. I had to patch up network.script by this:

[ -n "$HOSTNAME" ] && hostname $HOSTNAME

and then add this to the kernel command line: "HOSTNAME=MythClient1"

Is there an easy way? If doesn't look like udhcpd is setting the hostname properly.

I had to do this for all version since 17.

-Loc
I know that it works with ISC DHCP server (version 3.0.1) and the Windows 2003 Server DHCP server. do you know that your DHCP server is correctly providing the hostname?
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

ozuzo wrote:Hi,

Please find below a new version of log.script, which allows setting a syslog server in the configuration (I redirect all syslogs to my backend server).
I will add it.
Also, I think there is a small bug in env.conf: the MM_LOGFILE is set twice, once before reading minimyth.conf, and once after. The second one I think should be removed, as otherwise you can't set a log file without enabling debugging (as otherwise it is always reset to /dev/null).
This is by design.

In order to get the maximum logging possible, MM_DEBUG can be set on the boot command line. When this is done, I wanted maximum logging (including reading the minimyth.conf file), so I set MM_LOGFILE before reading the minimyth.conf file.

Redirecting stdout and stderr to a file is only done when debugging. Otherwise, I did not want it to fill up /var/log.
Finally, if you could include the lirc_atiusb module in the final release, that would be great.
LIRC now includes a userspace ATI driver (atilibusb). It is compiled into the lircd.any daemon. Have you tried it?
Regards, Herman

#!/bin/sh
# log.script
[ -n "`mm_var_get MM_DEBUG`" ] && set -x

MM_SYSLOG_SERVER=`mm_var_get MM_SYSLOG_SERVER`

if [ "$MM_SYSLOG_SERVER" != "" ] ; then
   MM_SYSLOG_SERVER="-R $MM_SYSLOG_SERVER"
fi

mkdir -p /var/log

syslogd $MM_SYSLOG_SERVER
klogd
ozuzo

Post by ozuzo »

Pablo wrote: This is by design.

In order to get the maximum logging possible, MM_DEBUG can be set on the boot command line. When this is done, I wanted maximum logging (including reading the minimyth.conf file), so I set MM_LOGFILE before reading the minimyth.conf file.
Ah - ok. I like to have the mythfrontend log somewhere, as there are sometimes still minor problems to be solved. Maybe some debug level?
LIRC now includes a userspace ATI driver (atilibusb). It is compiled into the lircd.any daemon. Have you tried it?
I think I tried but got somehow confused on how to enable it. I tried again, and can't get it to work - set 'driver' to atilibusb, empty 'device' and either an empty 'kernel_module' and 'lirc_dev'. None of these work, I just

lircd 0.7.1: couldn't find a compatible USB device
lircd 0.7.1: caught signal
messages.

Another question: would it much trouble to add es1371/analog/joydev modules? It would be nice to be able to run mythgame :-)

Regards, Herman
ozuzo

Post by ozuzo »

O, just to clarify: due to processing order in the rc script, you need to set MM_SYSLOG_SERVER on the boot command line, as logging is enabled before the user environment is copied over...

Another question: I read somewhere that the supplied mplayer has no external codecs support compiled in. Does that have a reason other than rootfs size? I would like to add the Real cook codecs, so I can listen to the BBC radio-on-demand channels...

Herman
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

ozuzo wrote:O, just to clarify: due to processing order in the rc script, you need to set MM_SYSLOG_SERVER on the boot command line, as logging is enabled before the user environment is copied over...
I will change the init script ordering so that log.script runs after loading minimyth.conf.
Another question: I read somewhere that the supplied mplayer has no external codecs support compiled in. Does that have a reason other than rootfs size? I would like to add the Real cook codecs, so I can listen to the BBC radio-on-demand channels...
I will compile in support for external win32 codecs. However, you will need to use minimyth.script to create the /usr/lib/win32 directory and load the win32 codecs. You can do this by adding the line

mm_url_mount conf:codecs.tar.bz2 /usr/lib/win32
to you minimyth.script file, assuming that codecs.tar.bz2 contains the codecs and is on your tftp server.
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

ozuzo wrote:Ah - ok. I like to have the mythfrontend log somewhere, as there are sometimes still minor problems to be solved. Maybe some debug level?
So do I. The way that I do it is by placing an xinitrc file in the conf directory on the tftp server that dumps that redirects the output of mythfrontend to a file other than MM_LOGFILE.
I think I tried but got somehow confused on how to enable it. I tried again, and can't get it to work - set 'driver' to atilibusb, empty 'device' and either an empty 'kernel_module' and 'lirc_dev'. None of these work, I just

lircd 0.7.1: couldn't find a compatible USB device
lircd 0.7.1: caught signal
messages.
I do not know why it does not work. Since I do not have a ATI USB remote, I cannot test it. I will add LIRC support for the atiusb driver.
Another question: would it much trouble to add es1371/analog/joydev modules? It would be nice to be able to run mythgame :-)
MiniMyth does not have MythGame support. Since I do not play computer games, I do not have any joysticks. Without joysticks, it is difficult to make sure that everything (e.g. kernel modules and udev device file system) works.

Do you have MythGame running on MiniMyth?
ozuzo

Post by ozuzo »

Pablo wrote: So do I. The way that I do it is by placing an xinitrc file in the conf directory on the tftp server that dumps that redirects the output of mythfrontend to a file other than MM_LOGFILE.
Ah - that's something I need to get more used to - retrieve very specific files with these kind of tweaks.
I do not know why it does not work. Since I do not have a ATI USB remote, I cannot test it. I will add LIRC support for the atiusb driver.
I was guessing as much. Thanks. The kernel module worked in a single go, it creates a /dev/lirc0 without any hassle.
Do you have MythGame running on MiniMyth?
More or less. And Mythstream. What I currently do, and I'm still searching for an ideal solution, is running CVS Myth on top of Minimyth. My rootfs is NFS mounted from the server, and I compile/install Myth on top of this rootfs (using my compiler etc on the server, works just fine). What I do next is mount the servers /usr as /usr/local in the rootfs, so I've got access to xmame, Perl (for imdb.pl, the perl scripts from Mythstream).

Everything works as I would like it, except for two things:
  • - mplayer is missing external codec support (and using mplayer from my server has depencies on /lib :-(
    - I don't have a joystick in Mythgame
I try to get something which retains Minimyth as much as possible, as I once burned my fingers on X, Via drivers etc, and decided that others where *much* better at that (not the burning, that is..)
ozuzo

Post by ozuzo »

I will change the init script ordering so that log.script runs after loading minimyth.conf.
I thought about that, but isn't there a chicken-egg problem then that something might want to log during retrieval of the settings?
I will compile in support for external win32 codecs. However, you will need to use minimyth.script to create the /usr/lib/win32 directory and load the win32 codecs. You can do this by adding the line

mm_url_mount conf:codecs.tar.bz2 /usr/lib/win32
to you minimyth.script file, assuming that codecs.tar.bz2 contains the codecs and is on your tftp server.
Ah cool - hadn't noticed you can mount tar files :-) I was just going to suggest compiling mplayer with /usr/local/lib/mplayer or something as external codec directory, so that I could use the extras mechanism...

Herman
zNightLite

Post by zNightLite »

Hi,

Regarding hostname, I use FC3 dhcp server. Here is my dhcp.conf file... It is getting the IP address fine but it doesn't set the hostname.

=====

shared-network "Engineers" {
subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option routers 192.168.1.1;
default-lease-time 28800;
max-lease-time 86400;
# option domain-name "Engineers.com";
# option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
# Used by clusterautosetup-client to find its server
# next-server 192.168.1.50;

range 192.168.1.127 192.168.1.150;

host MythClient1 {
hardware ethernet 00:40:63:d5:91:12;
fixed-address 192.168.1.125;
}

host MythClient2 {
hardware ethernet 00:40:63:cc:0c:92;
fixed-address 192.168.1.126;
}
}
}

Any comment?

-Loc
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

zNightLite wrote:Regarding hostname, I use FC3 dhcp server. Here is my dhcp.conf file... It is getting the IP address fine but it doesn't set the hostname.
At a minimum, you need

use-host-decl-names on;
This tells the DHCP server to provide the hostname to the client. I group all my myth clients using 'group' and then put 'use-host-decl-names' in the group. Something like

group {
    use-host-decl-names on;
    host MythClient1 {
        hardware ethernet 00:40:63:d5:91:12;
        fixed-address 192.168.1.125;
    }
    host MythClient2 {
        hardware ethernet 00:40:63:cc:0c:92;
        fixed-address 192.168.1.126;
    }
}