MiniMyth 0.18.1

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

Post Reply
Pablo
Site Admin
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:13 am
Location: La Jolla
Contact:

MiniMyth 0.18.1

Post by Pablo »

MiniMyth 0.18.1 is available.
ozuzo
Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:36 pm
Location: Amsterdam, NL

Post by ozuzo »

Looks good! ATI remote and mplayer are working just fine.

For my last problem I'll try 'modprobe --force' the required joystick modules from my servers kernel (also 2.6.10). For a few of them that seemed to work, but the last two I can only test on the machine with the actual gameport in it...
telsin
Contributor
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:59 pm
Location: Madison, WI

video size got smaller?

Post by telsin »

Hi All,

I missed the 18.1 rc releases, so this probably started in there somewhere, but it seems the new unicrome drivers have slightly shrunk the video size. I used to have some overscan going on, which was fine (and great for movies), now the display is smaller than what my TV is capable of (using S-Video out).

So, my questions: Pablo, did you make any changes to the X.org configs that might have affected this? Or anything else, for that matter? Am I missing an easy way to correct this or do I need to go in and work with some modelines until I'm happy with it?

Thanks,

-Darrell
ozuzo
Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:36 pm
Location: Amsterdam, NL

Re: video size got smaller?

Post by ozuzo »

telsin wrote:So, my questions: Pablo, did you make any changes to the X.org configs that might have affected this? Or anything else, for that matter?
This might be completely unrelated, as I skipped all releases before 0.18, but I noticed that the driver supplied in Minimyth did not recognize my 1280x768 modeline anymore. After doing some digging around, I found the Unichrome driver had changed to only accept modelines which mimic the hardcoded modelines from VIA, instead of accepting something which looks only like such. I think they changed to allow for custom modelines later. I checked / found my correct modeline by looking into the (I think) via_modes.h file in the Unichrome CVS repository.
Skaastrup
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:27 pm
Location: Denmark

Post by Skaastrup »

Hi

I seem to have problems with playing DVD's. It was running smoothly in gar-minimyth-0.0.5 and ealier, when xine was added, but these newer versions can't do it smoothly. I get Xine errors about the system being too slow.

I'm running EPIA10K, 256MB RAM, USB2 DVD drive, minimyth version 0.18.1

DVD playback has been tested with several different movies, with same results.

Any ideas?

Reguards
Michael
telsin
Contributor
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:59 pm
Location: Madison, WI

video size followup

Post by telsin »

Well, followed up on Ozuzo's comments about unichrome, and wound up finding and following some documents on getting the best TV out picture. Changed my video mode to match NTSC native resolution without scaling, and got a noticably better picture. The themes look a little funny, but the picture is very nice. Here's my xorg.conf if anyone is using S-VIDEO & NTSC on a 4:3 TV and whats to try it. It's commented nicely for PAL & 16:9 users, and the composite video out isn't that hard to figure out, but I could post specific versions if people want to play with it.

http://tower.onholyground.com/minimyth/xorg.conf

Now to finally get gar working so I can make version with my theme size integrated ;)
Pablo
Site Admin
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:13 am
Location: La Jolla
Contact:

Re: video size followup

Post by Pablo »

telsin wrote:Now to finally get gar working so I can make version with my theme size integrated ;)
You can use MM_THEMECACHE_URL to load the themecache with the correctly sized theme so that is does not need to be scaled each time you reboot.
MartinHK
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:20 pm

Re: video size followup

Post by MartinHK »

telsin wrote:Well, followed up on Ozuzo's comments about unichrome, and wound up finding and following some documents on getting the best TV out picture. Changed my video mode to match NTSC native resolution without scaling, and got a noticably better picture. The themes look a little funny, but the picture is very nice. Here's my xorg.conf if anyone is using S-VIDEO & NTSC on a 4:3 TV and whats to try it. It's commented nicely for PAL & 16:9 users, and the composite video out isn't that hard to figure out, but I could post specific versions if people want to play with it.

http://tower.onholyground.com/minimyth/xorg.conf

Now to finally get gar working so I can make version with my theme size integrated ;)
Where do i put my edited xorg.conf if I want to change the monitor resolution in 0.18.1?
All i got is the three files: kernel, rootfs and minimyth.conf.

- Martin
Pablo
Site Admin
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:13 am
Location: La Jolla
Contact:

Re: video size followup

Post by Pablo »

MartinHK wrote:Where do i put my edited xorg.conf if I want to change the monitor resolution in 0.18.1?
All i got is the three files: kernel, rootfs and minimyth.conf.

Code: Select all

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Configuration

MiniMyth can be configured at boot time on a per MiniMyth frontend basis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Configuration File Locations

By default, MiniMyth pulls its configuration files from the same TFTP server
that is used to PXE boot MiniMyth. If the the PXE boot loader (pxelinux.0) is in
a directory '<dir>', then MiniMyth looks for configuration files first in the
directory '<dir>/conf/<hostname>' and second in the directory '<dir>/conf',
where <hostname> is the hostname of the MiniMyth frontend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Configuration Files

The main configuration file is 'minimyth.conf'. An example 'minimyth.conf'
configuration file can be found in the 'docs' directory.

The main configuration script is 'minimyth.script'. This is a shell script that
will be executed by MiniMyth after it has completed downloading all the
configuration files from the TFTP server, and after it has mounted extras
(if applicable). You can use it to do things such as install additional kernel
modules.

In addition to the main configuration file and script, you can override the
following MiniMyth configuration files:
     file        |  description
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
     lircd.conf  |  /etc/lircd.conf
     lircrc      |  The lircrc file used by mythtv, mplayer and xine
     localtime   |  /etc/localtime
     xinitrc     |  /root/.xinitrc
     xorg.conf   |  /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Pablo
Site Admin
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:13 am
Location: La Jolla
Contact:

Post by Pablo »

Skaastrup wrote:Hi

I seem to have problems with playing DVD's. It was running smoothly in gar-minimyth-0.0.5 and ealier, when xine was added, but these newer versions can't do it smoothly. I get Xine errors about the system being too slow.

I'm running EPIA10K, 256MB RAM, USB2 DVD drive, minimyth version 0.18.1

DVD playback has been tested with several different movies, with same results.

Any ideas?

Reguards
Michael
I have no idea other than I have heard people say that they cannot run some aspects of MiniMyth with only 256MB of RAM. I run with 512MB of RAM, so I do not know whether or not running Xine is impacted by having only 256MB of RAM.
gark
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:38 pm

Post by gark »

I had problems playing DVDs in xine. Disabling the "EnableAGPDMA"-option fixed that on my system.
Post Reply