http://linpvr.org/rel-0.2/index.html

Please provide feedback.

Thanks,
Larry
Nem
Contributor

Post by Nem »

Larry,

I download the uncrammed root filesystem again, and tried to get this running.

I'm still seeing the same problem I reported earlier.

XWin starts up then drops back to the console with thie following error.

---8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<---
This app was compiled against libmyth version: 0.12.10012003-1
but the library is version: 0.12.10132003-1
You probably want to recompile everything, and do a
"make distclean" first.
exiting

waiting for X server to shut down

---8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<---

I really cant understand what i'm doing wrong here, as the only thing I changed between unzipping the files and cramming them is the .lircrc and etc/lircd.homebrew.conf files.

Please can you download the files to a clean directory on your HD and see if its something i'm doing or the files.

Regards,

Darren
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Darren,

I think I know what this is. You are not enabling the hwmpeg. I probably didn't build the other one correctly.

Larry
Nem
Contributor

Post by Nem »

Larry,

I don't understand, what do you mean i'm not enabling the hardware mpeg? I didn't build this software, I just cramed the image.

Regards,

Darren
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Burried deep within the instructions it says there is a new kernel command line. Look for HWMPEG in this page:

Larry
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Darren,

I rebuilt mythfrontend without hwmpeg enabled and incorporated into a new release candidate. I didn't have time to update the index.html file this morning, nor did I make a new pre-crammed rootfs with this change. I'll try to tidy that up tonight.

Anyway, if you can, please try the new rc:
http://linpvr.org/rel-0.2/minimyth-0.2rc2.tar.bz2

Also, let me explain a little what is going on here. In order to make using the hardware MPEG2 decoder optional, I need to build mythfrontend twice (once with support enabled, once without). I then incorporate both versions into minimyth and depending on a runtime parameter (via the kernel command line) I symlink to the correct one.

With rc1, I forgot to include the non-hwmpeg2 enabled version.

Larry
sw25481

Dates on Posts all wrong

Post by sw25481 »

Has anyone noticed the dates on many of these posts are all wrong. It makes it difficult to see what is new and old information
Nem
Contributor

Post by Nem »

Larry,

http://linpvr.org/rel-0.2/minimyth-0.2rc2.tar.bz2

is an incomplete file.

Regards,

Darren
Nem
Contributor

Post by Nem »

Larry,

One more thing, I think I have spotted a typo on the new index page.

HWMPEG is either set or unset. If set, mythfrontend will use the Via HW MPEG2 decoder. To pass this on the kernel command line, you need to set it to something, anything. Mine says, "HWMPEG=foo".

should read

HWMPEG2 is either set or unset. If set, mythfrontend will use the Via HW MPEG2 decoder. To pass this on the kernel command line, you need to set it to something, anything. Mine says, "HWMPEG2=foo".

Regards,

Darren
Nem
Contributor

Post by Nem »

Larry,

I have done some more testing, I hope I'm not swamping you here with feedback.

Once I realised the typo in the tftpboot file, I now have your original rc1 build up and running, only in NTSC format though. On the positive side I can really see the benefit of using the MPEG decoder as the picture seemed to me to be reallly smooth.

As you will probably know Hairlocks build supports both NTSC and PAL (I need PAL as im in the UK NTSC looks black and white to me), I copied over his XF86Config file and recrammed the image. The system comes up and runs but when Live TV is started the picture looks like very bad modern art, just lots of Straight coloured lines. Obviously modifications need to be made to the driver to support both PAL and NTSC.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Darren
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Thanks for the feedback, I'll update the index.html with HWMPEG2.

The image was still uploading when I had to leave for work, I assumed it would finish ok; guess it did not. I'll check it tonight.

Sorry about the loose ends. I"m trying to get this stuff out to everyone quickly but I lack a proper QA department :-).

As far as the driver goes, it was built for me in TW. I'll enquire if they tested PAL mode. If someone else can try it in PAL and confirm the problem that would be helpful.

Larry
teksyc0m

Post by teksyc0m »

Installed rc1 last night with success. I'm running Redhat 9, Hauppauge 250, and Myth .11 on the server. Live TV works very well but recordings play back with a stutter. I tried different settings, but did not resolve the stutter.

As soon as Axel releases the .12 rpms, I'll upgrade the server and test.

Is there a way to determine if MPEG2 decoding is working?
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Is there a way to determine if MPEG2 decoding is working?
The OSD (e.g., when you pause) will be gray and not blue.

WRT to stuttering, I have had to reduce the bit rate on the PVR-x50 to something like 640x480 @ 5k/6k and that has helped but not completely solved the problem.

Larry
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

I've updated the 0.2 page with the second release candidate. The only issue I'm waiting on is confirmation of PAL problems. If someone else (with PAL) could try it and let me know that would help a lot.

BTW, the (precrammed) rootfs is also now up to rc2.

Larry
Nem
Contributor

Post by Nem »

Larry,

The 0.2 page still points to the old http://linpvr.org/rel-0.2/minimyth-0.2rc1.tar.bz2 uncrammed image.

The http://linpvr.org/rel-0.2/minimyth-0.2rc2.tar.bz2 still seems to be an incomplete file.

Regards,

Darren