Other Modules

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

monkeyBox

Other Modules

Post by monkeyBox »

I know this has probably been discussed here before, but how hard would it be to add other modules to my rootfs? Has anyone gotten other modules to work, such as weather, gallery, music, and dvd??

I know you built minimyth using mandrake.. I use gentoo so I'm sure their would be some problems using the binaries I've made, but perhaps I can just install mdk on a VMWare machine and build modules from there, and copy them over to the rootfs? Is it more complicated than that?

[EDIT] Oops.. looks like I posted in the wrong forum.. should be in General Help, I guess. Mod: can you move this?
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Yeah, a few people have asked how to contribute. Since this project doesn't really produce source I don't CVS would work that well.

My current thinking is to allow people to build minimyth from scratch easily (sort of like gentoo). I think GAR (from linux-bbc) will allow me to do this but I have only read some of the documentation. It's a big project and it will take me a while.

Once it is done, someone could add a module w/ GAR stuff so that the rest of us could also build it. I'm not sure but you could probably even configure it to grab latest CVS from Mythtv.org so we wouldn't necessarily have to align with major mythtv releases.

Larry
dna

Post by dna »

I've messed around with GAR quite a bit and would be more than happy to help. They changed it quite a bit due to some linker problems and made it crazy complicated but the older versions and the one that GARNOME uses are pretty easy. If you write up a list of apps you use and a busybox config I could get it set up in an afternoon. I had one set up to make a static build for LFS but they went and changed their build system so I stopped using it but still have it lying around. The only real problem I had with it was trying to link against uClibc but it doesn't look like you're using that.

Let me know what you think, I need a project to keep my unemployed ass busy and out of the bars.
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

DNA, That would be great.

At the moment, I am working on an article describing how I built minimyth-0.1. Perhaps I can send you what I have, which would hopefully be enough to tell you what I need GAR to do.

The article is not complete yet (in particular, I have not verified the steps yet :-), but you could shoot me an email if you run into any problems.

Larry
dna

Post by dna »

I should be able to figure it out with your article and looking in the tarball to see what parts are in there. If you want to send it to dan at frizzlefry.com I could get started on it soon (tomorrow's free buffalo wings at the bar so prob thurs)

I was thinking about possible problems/issues and came up with a couple. I think that glibc needs to match between the host system and MiniMyth so someone running something like Debian stable would run into trouble. Actually all the problems would be from which development system was used but it would be easy enough to make a chroot environment.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Dan
monkeyBox

Post by monkeyBox »

this is great news 8)
monkeyBox

Post by monkeyBox »

If I'm too impatient to wait for a GRP ver. of minimyth, could I thoretically try adding my own modules if I compiled them on a Mandrake 9.1 system (like in VMWare)?

I want to try to get mythmusic and mythgallery to work...
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Monkeybox:
In theory, yeah that should work.
I would look at what hairlocks has done as well

DNA, I emailed the locataion of the article to you, let me know if you got it.

Larry
dna

Post by dna »

lmatter wrote:
DNA, I emailed the locataion of the article to you, let me know if you got it.
Yup, been working on it, have the base system done but X doesn't want to cooperate. It bombs out on the via driver (undefined reference to `MPGDevice') which I suspect is in libddmpeg.a but Ivor's site is down so can't tell for sure right now. My big plan is to finish it up and test it out tomorrow on my epia. Should have something to show soon.

EDIT

I'm not really sure about what to do with glibc. I'm building on a Gentoo box all optimized for i686 so I have to rebuild it to run on an epia but I'm not sure if this is something anyone else would want to do. Its also super easy to set it up to compile against uClibc (assuming all the progs play nice) and save a meg or two.
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Dna, cool!

WRT to X bombing, which version are you using and are you using my host.def file? And I think for now we'll just copy the Via binary drivers from linpvr until a real open-source solution is found.

I've copied the via drivers to http://linpvr.org/viadrv/

WRT glibc that does sound like a problem. For the short term I would say if you want to build for an Ezra CPU, then your build machine's glibc should be i586, and not i686 optimized. We can talk about how to solve it for the longer term, but I woudn't want this to hold us up.

And as far as uClibc is concerned, I had some bad experiences with it (like one might have a bad experience with Tequila) and so I would like to avoid it for now.

Thanks for your work!

BTW, I continue to update the articles so you might want to check back once in a while.
dna

Post by dna »

WRT to X bombing, which version are you using and are you using my host.def file? And I think for now we'll just copy the Via binary drivers from linpvr until a real open-source solution is found.
I've been using 4.3.99.10. I think the link to your host.def was down when I started playing with X so I modified the freevix one. I have it only building the via driver but I also messed with some other settings so maybe I broke something. It built fine with the stock freevix host.def before I started changing things, I'll figure out what's up. You are using the Alan Cox via driver in the XFree source, right? I think I'll save this for last since it takes so damn long to compile.
WRT glibc that does sound like a problem. For the short term I would say if you want to build for an Ezra CPU, then your build machine's glibc should be i586, and not i686 optimized. We can talk about how to solve it for the longer term, but I woudn't want this to hold us up.
Not really a problem, its just that I'm building everything on my laptop cause its lots faster than a ME6000. I have to rebuild glibc anyway I was just wondering if you wanted it as part of the build process or set up to copy the host binaries. Its a pretty trivial change, it just has to be one or the other.

Well, off to Taco Hell and then see if I can't get this thing finished today.

Dan
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

host.def file is http://linpvr.org/misc/host.def

Mine will only enable mmx, not sse or 3dnow, so that it works on both ezra and nehemiah. I was using Alan's driver for minimyth-0.1, but for 0.2 I am using a binary driver supplied by Via built against the kernel I am using.

wrt glibc, my tendancy is to not build it because I am naturally lazy and impatient. But if there is a way to include it but comment it out for others that might need it that would be good. And on second thought, I'll probably kick this thing off at night anyways, so if it has to build glibc then that is probably ok.

Mmm, taco bell. I like the new fiesta chicken bowl. :-)

Thanks,
Larry
dna

Post by dna »

Almost there, just need to figure out linc and the crazy build system in mythtv. Oh, and the libs -- looks like:

ncurses
zlib
jpeg
png
mng
ssl <-- for X?
qt3
mysqlclient <-- is this from a standard mysql install?
lame

X builds now, I guess I changed the wrong setting but I added your host.def to be safe. If I could get a look at your install script I'll add it in too.

Should be ready for testing very soon :!:
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

I don't need ncurses but the rest of the list looks good. And the libs you mention were just copied from my Mandrake 9.1 (except lame, which I built as part of MythTV).
If I could get a look at your install script I'll add it in too.
Umm, don't have one. Scripting is not my strong suit. When I execute the mkcramfs command, I just specify the output as /var/lib/tftpboot/PXEClient (and therefore I run it as root).

Larry
dna

Post by dna »

I thought I read in your article you had a script for copying Xfree files over, I've been known to be wrong quite a bit though. I'm going to check out this tinyX thing so maybe I won't need it.

Still "almost done". Took care of all the libs, now I just have linc, mythTV, mysql and a little tweaking left. I hopefully can test it out tonight, I'm planning to have my epia as a frontend/backend so I can't really test the mythTV part but I'll make sure it boots and X works.

I'll keep you updated.

Dan