Unplugable Frontend

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

Zagaroth

Unplugable Frontend

Post by Zagaroth »

Hullo all this is my first post here and i just though i would outline what i'm trying to do and see what you lot think.

Basicly i'm trying to make a small frontend image that will boot off the harddrive of my EPIA M10K that will include all the extra myth modules. Heres the catch. i want it to be able to unplug from the network and still be able to use all the extra bits (except the tv as there will be no tv card) so i can use it as a mp3/video player without a backend. i think i can get this working by making it clone the db onto the frontend and make it use that if it can't connect to the backend.

I'm hopeing to use minimyth to build this on as its a nice small distro and its has all the drivers and such setup already.

Anyway a few questions.
-Thought about ALSA? that digital out is looking very nice but i don't think it works (well i never could get it to) with OSS
-Whats with all the extra modules in the kernel? couldn't alot of the stuff in the .config be droped? there is alot of unused network/sound modules there to start with. i know the actual modules arn't in the minimyth image but it seems weird to have them setup in the kernel if they arn't in the image.

Anyway thanx for all your work on this great distro and hope to hear your ideas sometime soon.
-Laurence
-In Hamilton, New Zealand
shec0002

Great Testing Effort

Post by shec0002 »

My $0.02

This would be more of a question for the mythtv forum. I have noticed that when things fall off for any reason mythtv has a tendency to segfault. You can try this, but be ready to dig into the code. Because this wouldn't be a supported practice, it may not get priority when you do find segfaults. I would recommend running in verbose mode, and any time you submit a bug start with the context of your unplug idea. This may be considered a valuable feature, but it may not get a lot of attention.
Zagaroth

Post by Zagaroth »

Wot i'm trying at the moment is just running a slave backend on my frontend machine. And writing a script that tryes to find the mysql server on the backend and then runs the backend database if it can't find it then it changes the mysql database location to point to the localhost. i havn't worked out how to sync the databases yet.... (that could be fun) as at the moment i only have a P3 350 as my backend (with a bttv tuner in it) i can't actualy watch tv with it... but hey i'm actulay starting to get this to work. but its not really a high priority as i don't really have to get this to work till i move in feb.