Minimyth gar build system

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

dhartman

Post by dhartman »

Dan,

Thanks for the clarification. In otherwords, if we go the GAR route, each person would either have to use the pre-built packages and not likely be able to modify them on their own (without having the exact build system) OR Each person would have to use GAR and compile the whole ball of wax on their own build system (right?) I guess that makes sense.

Being a slacker from way back, I like anything that uses Slackware. Look on the main MythTV list to see how many people are having problems/issues with RedHat versus Slackware (or any other distro for that matter).

I don't need to be a purist. I just want to have a full understanding. Now the picture is much clearer.

After I finish messing with Cinelerra, I'll get back over to MythTV and Mini-myth.

Darrick
dna

Post by dna »

dhartman wrote:
In otherwords, if we go the GAR route, each person would either have to use the pre-built packages and not likely be able to modify them on their own (without having the exact build system) OR Each person would have to use GAR and compile the whole ball of wax on their own build system (right?)
Yup, gives Larry an easier time upgrading and allows people who want to customize to build their own system the way they want. Another plus is to be able to have tarballs of extra features like the modules easily available so folks won't have to worry about deps, just untar in the minimyth filesystem and cramfs it up.

Should make everyone's life easier. Well...once it all works.
Nem
Contributor

Post by Nem »

Dan,

Just a quick question on customisation, how customisable is the GAR system? For instance, I run my own homebrew receiver config, also i include a customised version of Lcdproc in my cram fs system. Can GAR support these kind of changes or do all the required options have to exist in the CVS?

I was under the impression that the GAR system is either opt in on a package of code, or opt out. From your reply it seems maybe more than this is possible. Can you provide a little more detail about what is and isn't possible.

I suppose RTFM would be an easy answer, I must hold my hands up and say I still haven't done this on the GAR system yet. Still a nice little intro wouldn't go a miss if you have time.

Regards,

Darren
slifox

Post by slifox »

I'm having trouble resolving fizzlefry.com... are the DNS servers down? Do you have an alternative DNS host or IP?

thanks
-alex
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Check the spelling. It should be frizzlefry.com

Larry
slifox

Post by slifox »

Ahh, well I guess that would do it :)
dna

Post by dna »

Nem wrote:I was under the impression that the GAR system is either opt in on a package of code, or opt out. From your reply it seems maybe more than this is possible. Can you provide a little more detail about what is and isn't possible.
You can pretty much make it do *exactly* what you want. If you want to change how a package is compiled, just edit the Makefile. Want to change optimations or CFLAGS, edit gar.conf.mk Want to add to the distro, copy a Makefile and edit it to suit your new program. The meta/minimyth-contents package is just a empty package with deps of all the programs that get built by default so you can change what gets included from there. Another package that does a lot of work is meta/minimyth, it takes the new file system out of the build dir, cleans it up and cramfs it.

One of these days a README will get written for this thing. Check out the gar.mk file, that's where all the commands are and its well commented. The lnx-bbc site has a bunch of info also.

Dan
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Just a quick update. Tonight I finally got live TV playing on the stuff built from gar. It's not entirely checked in yet, but will be soon. In my effort to get it working sooner rather than later, I have used paperclips and duct tape in a few places; hopefully we'll get that cleaned up over the next few releases. Volunteers gladly accepted.

Larry
slifox

Post by slifox »

I'd be glad to help clean it all up.. Let me know when you're checked in and I'll update my version.

-alex
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

I've checked in, but there is a problem with it. QT won't build, and I think it has something to do with how it handles dependencies. The way you are supposed to use gar, I think, is to let each package install itself into the new root so that other dependent packages can take advantage of the install. But that would make the rootfs too big, so I have been hacking make files to work a little differently. It's worked fine until qt.

Anyway, take a look if you want, I'm going to take a break for a day or so.

Larry
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

ok, so I just couldn't stay away. I fixed the qt problem. You should now be able to build it, and boot the rootfs. Once it boots up you can type xinit and it will start mythfrontend, but it crashes easily at this point. Could be because my backend is CVS from yesterday and the frontend is 0-13. No pretty fonts yet, but live-tv works.

This latest build has Ivor's 1.5 libddmpeg driver, and _totte_'s 1.6 X patch over X 4.3.99.902, as well as kernel 2.4.23-epia1 with Ivor's 1.4 kernel patches. All completely open source. I will probably upgrade to kernel 2.4.24 soon.

Info on this code is here:
http://www.ivor.it/cle266/ and
http://www.shipmail.org/%7Ethomas/via/

Enjoy,
Larry
(whew!)
slifox

Post by slifox »

I'm still unsure about gar stuff and how it works. While I learn that more, I'll just try taking care of the other stuff. I just finished rewriting the startup script system. It's now all separated, commented, and organized. /etc/rc runs /etc/rc.d/S??*, which are symlinks to scripts in /etc/init.d/ (ie, S00tempfs S05logging S10network etc...).

My main problem is I can't really test because my backend now is 0.12, and is being used by an actual in-use minimyth-0.2, so I can't upgrade to 0.13 to play with minimyth-0.3...
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Thanks for doing that Slifox. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'm going to go the sysVinit route. I have been wanting to try using gnumake to start everything up in the hopes that it would start faster. But if that doesn' work out then I may fall back to the old stand-by.

Gar is not too hard to learn. And you could always downgrade yours to work with 0.12. It's really easy to do that. Just start playing with it.

Larry
slifox

Post by slifox »

Check your checksums; I had some troubles with patch-2.4.*-epia1.gz or something like that. I'm getting it compiled with 0.12 now and I'll see if I can get all the other mythtv modules integrated..
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

It built cleanly last night, but I have most of the downloaded stuff saved in another folder (you can do the same, set GARCHIVEDIR to point to a repository of tarballs that it needs to download).

It's possible that the patch has somehow changed, I'll check it when I get a chance. Please cut 'n paste the exact error if you can.

Also, there are others that have expressed interest in working on the modules, so unless you want to do it all yourself for the learning experience (which is completely valid) I would try to work with the other interested parties. Note that we will most likely have to come up with an NFS solution for this, so it will probably not be a quick chore. I want to think it through a bit. In the mean time, have a ball.

Larry