Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

Hairlocks
Contributor

minimyth-0.2-jm with all modules

Post by Hairlocks »

minimyth-0.2-jm is avaliable at

http://www.hairlocks.nildram.co.uk/

changes to the offical minimyth-0.2 are below, all modules can be remove by deleting the the relavent libary file in usr/local/lib/mythtv/plugins which should remove them from the mythtv menu.

MythDVD = need to use mplayer atm, I installed VeXP but it currently segfaults
MythGallery = fine
MythGame = untested if removing delete usr/games/bin/xmame.x11 to save 20M of space
MythMusic = fine
MythNews = untested
MythVideo = works with mplayer, inculding input support now that is a window manager to take focus.
MythWeather = fine
MythWeb not install (it's really a server side app)

This version on minimyth uses nfs for the usr filesystem and will also mount another filesystem onto /fileserver. If you don't want to use nfs then download the root and usr tarballs and extract the root and then the /usr into it. and then mkcramfs as normal.

My append line looks like this

APPEND initrd=root-0.2-jm ramdisk_blocksize=4096 ramdisk=8000 devfs=mount LIRC=ati_rf MYTHSERVER=192.168.0.10 NFS_USR=192.168.0.10:/export/minimyth/usr NFS_DATA=192.168.0.10:/export hdc=ide-scsi TV_TYPE=PAL

The HWMPEG2 option is still available but I have run out of variables avaliable (e.g. I seem to have reached the limit)

NFS_USR will be mounted onto /usr (no default nothing will mount if not set)
NFS_DATA will be mounted onto /fileserver (no default nothing will mount if not set)
hdc=ide-scsi only needed if your dvd drive doesn't work properly in ide mode in the linux kernel.
TY_TYPE default to NTSC

It also has aumix-minimal to tweak the sound mplayer seems to be a bit quite for me so try aumix-minimal -v 100,100;aumix-minimal -w 100,100;mplayer dvd:// -dvd-device %d -fs -zoom -vo xv
I have also added the latest via drivers, remove most the modules from the kernel config so it compiles the needed ones a lot quick. Added usb support, compile ide-scsi support into the kernel, the virual console fix and nfs support.

If you need to know anything else please ask. (It would also be nice to know who uses this?)
dewpac

bzip2 error?

Post by dewpac »

I'm getting the following:

# bunzip2 minimyth-0.2-jm-usr.tar.bz2

bunzip2: Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
perhaps it is corrupted? *Possible* reason follows.
bunzip2: No such file or directory
Input file = minimyth-0.2-jm-usr.tar.bz2, output file = minimyth-0.2-jm-usr.tar

Can you check the file on the server to see if it is incomplete?

Thanks! I'm definitly looking forward to this, so you can count one on the "people actually using this thing" list :)
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

FYI - I get this error too.
Hairlocks
Contributor

Post by Hairlocks »

Your right, incomplete feel on the server, I have uploaded it again and checked it this time!
dewpac

Post by dewpac »

Hairlocks wrote:Your right, incomplete feel on the server, I have uploaded it again and checked it this time!
Got it working -- and loving it.

I had to add "acpi=off" to my APPEND line, otherwise I was getting this error:

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
eth0: Transmit timed out, status 0000, PHY status 786d, resetting...
nfs: server 192.168.1.3 not responding, still trying
nfs: server 192.168.1.3 OK

Also, MYTHSERVER doesn't seem to be used as an APPEND variable, I ended up having to edit usr/local/share/mythtv/mysql.txt (i think that's the right file -- going from memory here) in order to specify my master backend.

Otherwise, everything looks great. I was having some problems with video stuttering and such, but I believe that was because of the acpi problems with the NIC.

Now my main issue seems to be a resolution + overscan thing, which is causing a a significant portion of the menus to be offscreen. I'm going to try out some different resolutions and see if that fixes it.
Hairlocks
Contributor

Post by Hairlocks »

go into usr/linux/local/share/mythtv remove the mysql.txt then type
ln -s /var/root/mysql.txt mysql.txt
and the mythconverg setting will work again (I will fix this and re upload)

Interesting about the apci=off settings but I have yet to have that problem, have you done any of the grounding stuff that effects the motherboard with a cubid case?

I have the same isue with a menu being too big but changing the GUI settings in myth seems to change the tv playback as well making it smaller, I have changed the X offest which has help a little though.

Larry: Do you, or anyone else have a problem with the menu buttons etc in the setup screen being of screen to the left, of is it just a problem with PAL and not NTSC?
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

No, I have the same problems with the buttons in NTSC. Unfortunately, the TVOut only has under or overscan, not ExactlyRightScan. So you have to play lots of games with the offset & size (and I think there are two places to do this, one for the entire window, and one for the tv overlay). I did have it almost perfect at one point, but then I redid the database and haven't bothered since.

Perhaps the visor theme can be tweeked to keep widgets more centrally positioned to compenstate for this, not sure though.

After I get the translucency fs driver incorporated into minimyth, we won't have to play games with symlinks anymore.

Larry
Hairlocks
Contributor

Post by Hairlocks »

I am having pronlems with my ISP. The old.minimyth-0.2-jm-usr.tar.bz2 is the one to use at the moment the minimyth-0.2-jm.usr.tar.bz2 is incomplete and I can't ftp into fix it.

The TV out problem I may be fixable by changing the X scan settings to make it slightly smaller as I think this may sort it out properly.

The translucency driver sounds great as that would solve one type of mistake I keep making.

John
dewpac

Post by dewpac »

What changes did you make to the X scan settings? I'd like to give it a shot in the meantime until you're able to upload the fixed tarfile.
jmw

problem

Post by jmw »

Hi Hairlocks, thanks for putting this together!

I haven't gotten it to work yet. I am trying to avoid NFS. So I untarred the usr filesystem on top of the root, and did a mkcramfs (using the mkcramfs binary i got from this site). I got this warning:

warning: file sizes truncated to 16MB (minus 1 byte).
warning: gids truncated to 8 bits. (This may be a security concern.)

That doesn't sound good. There is one file bigger than that, so i tried taking it out (xmame which i don't plan to use yet anyway). The warning disappeared. But the same thing still happens when i try to boot it: The machine sponaneously reboots as the rootfs is downloading.

I left out the NFS parameters from my default file, i assume it's ok to do so?

Also, I tried a values of ramdisk from 70000 up to 160000, with the same result (spontaneous reboot) My rootfs is 53Mb. Any ideas? I am assuming the rootfs file is corrupted somehow, since it never seems to get to booting it. I have tried 2 different versions of mkcramfs.

Oh and by the way, i wanted to mention, i have the same problem with the differences in size between the mythfrontend GUI and the TV picture- the TV picture is always smaller.

jmw
dewpac

Re: problem

Post by dewpac »

jmw wrote:Oh and by the way, i wanted to mention, i have the same problem with the differences in size between the mythfrontend GUI and the TV picture- the TV picture is always smaller.
Theres probably really a better place to discuss this (maybe?) but since we're on the topic here...

I tried what i thought would work -- In the appearence setup page, around the 3rd page of that I think, I set the gui resolution to be something like 730ishx540ish (this is with a 800x600 screen resolution) and then changed the offsets to around X=23 and y=17 IIRC, and I had a proper GUI. However, this seems to modify both the GUI, and the display window TV and other video is played back in, so after this I have a blue area to the right and below the actual picture, so this didn't work out. Also, no amount of futzing with the scaling and offsets under TV Playback made any difference. I'm using a Sony 32" WEGA HD tube, in case the display matters.

Is there no way to to the GUI "limit yourself to 90% of the horizontal and vertical height and center within that area"? I think that (with a configurable percentage) would solve the problem.

Also, while watching TV tonight, I went into the menu ("M" key) and told it to record the next program coming up on the same channel. Right before the next show started, the screen popped up to tell me it wanted to record, and I said "record and let me watch", and when the time came, it segfaulted out. I should have thought to save the XFree log, if it happens anymore I will do so. Anyone else seen this?
Hairlocks
Contributor

Post by Hairlocks »

jmw: I haven't tried a mkcramfs of the whole lot yet, I will give it a go when I next have a chance and see if it works for me. The version of mkcramfs has to come from this site and make sure you are useing the one you downloaded (e.g. ./mkcramfs). Any particular reason why your are trying to avoid nfs?

dewpac: I think the problem with the menu of mythtv is somthing we should ask the developers and see what they say, I believe Issac owns a mini-itx so maybe very helpful :wink:
As for the bug I haven't tried doing that yet, but I don't watch live tv.

John
dewpac

Post by dewpac »

Hairlocks wrote:Interesting about the apci=off settings but I have yet to have that problem, have you done any of the grounding stuff that effects the motherboard with a cubid case?
I've tried the grounding thing even though I'm not using a cubid case, but it made no difference.

I have found that I spoke too early last time. I'm still getting the LAN timeout errors regardless of ACPI being on or off.

When I had installed debian on this thing before and upgraded to 2.4.23-pre9-epia1 kernel, the network was totally stable.

I've been trying to convince this newer kernel go to into minimyth properly, but it appears that devfs was changed between 2.4.21-ac3 and 2.4.23-pre9-epia1. If I can't figure the devfs problem out, I'm going to try to take the rhine driver from 2.4.23-pre9-epia1 and get it working in 2.4.21-ac3 (however, the newer rhine driver is a backport from 2.5/2.6 series, so theres more underlying changes that need to happen =/ ) Hopefully I'm not barking up the wrong tree. /sigh
jmw

nfs

Post by jmw »

Hairlocks:

I want to avoid NFS because my backend box also runs my email, web, and firewall, and i don't want to run unnecessary services. If I can't get it to run without it, then I guess it will be necessary after all... but it *should* work without it (esp since i don't want to run the games plugin, which takes up the most space). Has anyone else tried the no-NFS method?

Yes, i did use the mkcramfs from this site and i was sure to check that i was pointing to the correct version.
Hairlocks
Contributor

Post by Hairlocks »

I had no problems getting it to work I am uploading root-0.2-jm-no_nfs as we speak which works fine for me. I think you my have a tftpboot problem if the root filesystem doesn't finish being downloaded before it reboots?

I may take serveral trys to upload the file as my ISP keeps dropping the connection. I will post again when is complete.

John