Is 0.20 ready for prime time use?

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

rwillett

Is 0.20 ready for prime time use?

Post by rwillett »

Hi, I'm currently running 0.19 on my VIA frontend. It's my only front end, the main myth box is in the attic away from the front room.

So if I upgrade to 0.20 of MythTV I need to upgrade Minimyth as well. I would like to have the ability to record radio, especially BBC 7, but am wary of being too early in the upgrade cycle.

So....is Minimyth 0.20 ready for prime time usgae, will it pass the partner factor who wants ease of use and reliability?

Thanks,

Rob
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

From my point of view, neither MythTV 0.20 nor MiniMyth 0.20-* are ready for prime time use.

I have a wife and two boys that expect MythTV to work.Therefore, need to be somewhat careful about upgrading.

Therefore, I do not upgrade to a new version of MythTV until I know someone in real life that has the new version working because there is a wide spectrum of what people consider working So far, I know a few people who have tried MythTV 0.20, but reverted to MythTV 0.19 when they ran into various problems. However, I still know some people that are trying to get MythTV 0.20 flawlessly, so I am hopeful.

As for MiniMyth 0.20-*, I do not think that it is ready for prime time use. That is why I have kept it as a test release. People are still finding problems. In fact, right now, I am building a version with some compiler flag changes to see whether or not it fixes a rather significant X performance problem.

However, this just my point of view. Others may have a different point of view.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.
rwillett

Post by rwillett »

Pablo,

Thanks for the quick and honest reply. I think I will hold off on my migration to 0.20 until after the new year. I have a working system now, it's reliable, it works, the R/C works very well, so I'm an very concerned about winding my partner up by moving to a more recent version that is less reliable.

At the end of the day, the wife factor is more important than the ability to listen and record radio programs.

I'll keep an eye out and let other people sit on the bleeding edge for a while.

Best wishes,
Rob.
jack
Contributor

Post by jack »

Yeah, 0.20 does not seem as stable as 0.18 did - I've had a couple of inexplicable backend crashes (which seem to have stopped now, actually .. since I started recording and archiving the be logs).

Radio support is available, but I've found it to be unreliable and jumpy on my desktop machine until I enabled MHEG ('Interactive TV') whereupon it stopped jumping and worked OK. MHEG gives you a screen display while listening to radio - the channel ident & other info. I can't get MHEG to work on my Minimyth box at all, though - it just crashes :(. I haven't tried radio on it as yet.
rwillett

Post by rwillett »

Rats, radio is one of the main things (the main thing) I'm waiting on.

Just to have to persevere with 0.19.

Thanks,

Rob.
juski
Contributor

Post by juski »

MHEG doesn't work in minimyth? Ahh rats!

one of my reasons for upgrading to 0.20 is DVB Radio support, so I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.

However if we could find out _why_ MHEG doesn't work in minimyth & tell Pablo, it'll be better for everybody :)

I have a spare box I can fire up, build the right version of 0.20-fixes on and test minimyth with to help, if that'd be any use.

The thing is I can't remember if MHEG support requires any other packages - if it does and all that needs to be done for it to work with minimyth is for those to be present, Pablo could put them into GAR & all would be well.
The words 'digital' and 'quality' are not synonymous
pleeke
Contributor

Post by pleeke »

I'm in the UK, and find MHEG does work in minimyth so long as I only tune to BBC tv stations. As soon as I tune to ITV1 (or channel4) mythfrontend crashes after about 2-3 seconds. I haven't tried tuning to radio stations when interactive tv is enabled. Of course this means that I have to disable interactive tv completely.

I find radio stations work ok (around 10 seconds of sound jumping and then all is stable for hours).

The biggest issue I have, is that I can't playback any recordings made with mythtv0.19 (except those recorded on BBC1). All recordings made with mythtv0.20 playback fine. I've seen some patches being applied to 0.20-fixes (11417 in particular) that may help fix this.

I know other people who are running mythtv0.20 and are able to playback all mythtv0.19 recordings!
jack
Contributor

Post by jack »

Heh, my system didn't stay up long enough to try changing channels - I have no idea what channel it was on when MHEG was crashing it.

As for radio, I have now tried it with MHEG disabled, and it seems to jump and skip for a couple of minutes but then settles down. My desktop definately crashed every now & then, but MM doesn't - probably to do with some patches applied to it.

I skipped 0.19 (the unbearably long channel-change time was a show-stopper) but everything I have from 0.18 plays fine here.
rwillett

Post by rwillett »

It appears that 0.20 is not ready yet. I take the point on long channel change times, since I already had/have a Freeview box we use that as the main station watching device. Myth is used wholly for music and video recording and playback.

There are still too many things that Myth can't do that a cheap Freeview box can. We have no problems treating it as an up market video recorder.

My days of bleeding edge technology are gone, I crave simplicity and reliability.

Rob
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Well, after backing up the mythconverg database and making sure that I had copies of the FC4 MythTV 0.19 RPMs, I upgraded to MythTV 0.20.

So far, everything has been working well on both my VIA EPIA ME6000 and my ASUS A8N-VM CSM. For both live TV and recorded TV, SD works on my VIA EPIA ME6000, and SD and HD work on my ASUS A8N-VM CSM.

MythTV's AC3 and DTS passthrough on my ASUS A8N-VM CSM do not work any better than before. I may need to do something asound.conf file. When I find time, I will take a look at it.

On my VIA EPIA ME6000, I needed to use the BIOS to increase the frame buffer memory size. I had it set to 16M, which would cause a segmentation fault when DRM tried to allocate memory at the start of MPEG2 playback. AFter increases the framebuffer memory to its maximum (64MB), it worked fine. I may work with 32MB of memory, but I have not tried it.

I used the internal player to play a DVD VOB on the ASUS A8N-VM CSM. It would stall at regular intervals. I will need to look into this as well.

I have not decided yet whether or not I will stay with the upgraded MythTV 0.20. However, so far, it appears to work at least as well as MythTV 0.19.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Pablo wrote:MythTV's AC3 and DTS passthrough on my ASUS A8N-VM CSM do not work any better than before. I may need to do something asound.conf file. When I find time, I will take a look at it.
It appears that the problem is with the "use video as timebase" setting. With this setting checked, passthrough does not work. With this setting unchecked, pasthrough works. So, now I have working passthrough.
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Pablo wrote:I used the internal player to play a DVD VOB on the ASUS A8N-VM CSM. It would stall at regular intervals. I will need to look into this as well.
I do not know whether or not it is related, but once I disabled "use video as time base" and enabled AC3+DTS passthrough, the stalling stopped.
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Well, I spoke too soon. I encountered a problem with 0.20. When I am recording a couple of shows and watching an HD show, the HD stutters/stalls rather often. This does not happen with 0.19.

Thankfully, this happened before anything important (that is any of the shows my wife watches) recorded. Therefore, I have reverted to 0.19. I am not sure when I will get a chance to try 0.20 again. Until I do, it will be impossible for me to track down the cause of this problem.
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Pablo wrote:Well, I spoke too soon. I encountered a problem with 0.20. When I am recording a couple of shows and watching an HD show, the HD stutters/stalls rather often. This does not happen with 0.19.

Thankfully, this happened before anything important (that is any of the shows my wife watches) recorded. Therefore, I have reverted to 0.19. I am not sure when I will get a chance to try 0.20 again. Until I do, it will be impossible for me to track down the cause of this problem.
Well, the stuttering is happening on MythTV 0.19. Therefore, it must be something else. That is both good and bad news. I do not need to avoid MythTV 0.20. However, I need to track down the problem. It may be related to the ivtv drivers, which are the only thing that I updated recently.

For now, I am working around the problem by NFS mounting my recordings directory. NFS appears to do better buffering than the MythTV streaming protocol. I wish I could use CIFS, but that does not appear to work when playing live TV.