config files for busybox and kernel?

Announce/Discuss projects you are working on for MiniMyth

Moderator: Pablo

dhartman

config files for busybox and kernel?

Post by dhartman »

Larry,

Wondered if you could either email or post a link to your .config for busybox and the kernel?

I'm going through and trying to build a version of minimyth based on slackware. I'm running into a problem at boot up right where it starts mounting the partitions (after the kernel has loaded up). I get a message something like: VFS cannot open root device ** on (something) Please append a proper 'root=' boot option.

I know you're working on the GAR stuff, but this should be a simple question (I hope).

Thanks,

Darrick
lmatter
Contributor

Post by lmatter »

Kernel .config is already available, check the home page, download section.

There is a busybox Config.h in the art3 directory (for the article on building minimyth) that should work fine. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll send the one from my build area. Note that minimyth is currently using busybox 0.60.5, but in the gar tree it has been updated to 1.0pre5

Larry
dna

Re: config files for busybox and kernel?

Post by dna »

dhartman wrote:I'm going through and trying to build a version of minimyth based on slackware. I'm running into a problem at boot up right where it starts mounting the partitions (after the kernel has loaded up). I get a message something like: VFS cannot open root device ** on (something) Please append a proper 'root=' boot option.
I played around with this idea and IIRC I actually got a stripped down Slack to net boot. It kind of sounds like it doesn't like your dhcpd append statement that tells the kernel where to tftp the root fs from. Or it could be fstab, I know I've seen this one and believe it was one of those. Maybe it was having cramfs built as a module. Don't really remember but hope this helps a little.

Dan
dhartman

Post by dhartman »

This happens after the kernel has booted, but before anything else executes.

Code: Select all

RAMFS cramfs filesystem found at block 0
RAMFS loading 32xxx blocks into ram disk ..... 1 disk found...done
Freeing initrd memory...26272k freed
VFS mounted root (cramfs filesystem)
Mounted devfs on /dev

Busybox v1.00-pre5 (2004.01.01-08:33+0000) multi-call binary

no help available

VFS cannot open root device ** or 03:01
please append a proper 'root='
Kernel panic........