Release 0.21.0-61 with VDPAU support in mplayer?

Help with using MiniMyth (except Booting)

Moderator: Pablo

tsjoender
Contributor

Release 0.21.0-61 with VDPAU support in mplayer?

Post by tsjoender » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:09 pm

With the release of 0.21.0-61 the release notes mention that mplayer is patched with VDPAU support, but warns that the nVidia drivers with VDPAU support are not included. Further down these release notes I see that the 180.08 version of the nVidia driver is included, which would assume that all necessary components are in place to have a GeForce 8xxx or 9xxx do the heavy lifting of video decoding when played with mplayer.

Is this assumption correct, or should I wait a little longer? My current setup (S939 AMD 4000+) can play most files up to 720P, but I have content it cannot decode without stuttering and the like. I would like to replace the current GeForce 6200 with a GeForce 9400GT and try out VDPAU. If minimyth is not ready yet to use VDPAU, then I'll wait a little longer and see where developments go. No intention to push development, just a bit confused on how to interpret the release notes. I'd be happy to volunteer as a guinea pig to test things out.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:55 pm

The package changes listed in the changelog are packages in the MiniMyth build system. Whether or not a specific package is included in a particular MiniMyth binary build depends on the build system configuration at the time of the build.

I have been keeping the MiniMyth build system up-to-date with respect to VDPAU. However, I have not always included in the regular MiniMyth binary build. Whether or not I include it depends on stability of the software.

The current NVIDIA driver included in the regular MiniMyth binary build is 169.12 not 180.*. This is because the 180.* drivers are still in beta and because every NVIDIA driver after 169.12 has a bug that breaks DPMS support.

Also, the current MythTV version included in the MiniMyth binary build is 0.21-fixes, which does not have VDPAU. MythTV trunk has VDPAU, but trunk is unstable.

Whether or not you want to test VDPAU now is ultimately your decision. Personally, I am waiting. Currently, VDPAU is still has bugs. In addition, the VDPAU driver implementation does not have support for certain H.264 configurations that are popular (nvnews post). However, once MythTV 0.22 is out, I am likely to give the Hauppauge HD-PVR and VDPAU a try.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

tsjoender
Contributor

Post by tsjoender » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:24 pm

Thanks Pablo for the explanation. I appreciate your design decisions. I was aware that the MythTV fixes branch doesn't have VDPAU support, but for my use having mplayer with VDPAU support would suffice.

I'll keep an eye on development and see where it leads. Good to hear that you consider including it for the coming 0.22 release and adapted the build process shortly after nVidia's release.

paulin

Post by paulin » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:16 pm

Pablo,

I know we started to discuss this on the other thread, but this one got me thinking by what you said.

Do you currently have a test build with the VDPAU support and NVIDIA drivers? If so I'm going to be ready to start trying it tomorrow. If not, then I'm going to have to figure out building of this (which I'm not sure my hardware/system will be able to but I'll figure that out later).

Let me know just so I know what to do/try.

Also think you mentioned that the Backend will have to be upgraded to use this frontend? I would figure not unless the message communication structure changed in trunk?

Finally you mention 0.22 of myth...Do you know when that is planned for release? Haven't seen anything about it on the myth site so just wondering if I missed it.

Thanks
Steve

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:56 am

paulin wrote:Pablo,

I know we started to discuss this on the other thread, but this one got me thinking by what you said.

Do you currently have a test build with the VDPAU support and NVIDIA drivers? If so I'm going to be ready to start trying it tomorrow. If not, then I'm going to have to figure out building of this (which I'm not sure my hardware/system will be able to but I'll figure that out later).

Let me know just so I know what to do/try.[/quote[

I can create and upload a build to test. What I include would depend on what you wanted to test. If you wanted to test just MPlayer, then I can build it with MythTV 0.21-fixes. If you want to test MythTV, then I build it with MythTV trunk instead.
Also think you mentioned that the Backend will have to be upgraded to use this frontend? I would figure not unless the message communication structure changed in trunk?
Both the Myth protocol and the Myth database schema have changed between 0.21-fixes and trunk. Therefore, you would have to upgrade the backend in order to use trunk.
Finally you mention 0.22 of myth...Do you know when that is planned for release? Haven't seen anything about it on the myth site so just wondering if I missed it.
The MythTV developers put out a release once the features they wanted to complete are done and the number of bugs has settled down. Their development is content not schedule drive. They are making good progress on one of the main features (the Qt 4 port). However, there are currently open 150 tickets (including both enhancements and bugs) targeted for 0.22, so I suspect it will be a little while before it is released.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

paulin

Post by paulin » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:58 am

Thanks for the information on 0.22. I did some digging and found the site that listed that information. I think your right it will be a while.

As for testing.

I figured first I would just pop the card in, boot up and see what happens. Next I would like to just try running with an updated MPlayer to see if that will work. Then third and worse case, I'll try to build trunk and test it that way.

So for starts, and if your willing, can we just start with the updated MPlayer and NVidia drivers. I'll try that tomorrow night.

Thanks
steve

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:55 pm

paulin wrote:So for starts, and if your willing, can we just start with the updated MPlayer and NVidia drivers.
Here it is: 0.21.0-nvidia.180.11.

tsjoender
Contributor

Post by tsjoender » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:17 pm

Great! Thanks, much appreciated. Must be hard to have some users asking for legacy nVidia support and others want beta stuff. I'll download it tonight and try it out this weekend. Today I got a GeForce 9400GT based graphics card, so your timing is spot on.

tsjoender
Contributor

Post by tsjoender » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:55 pm

Did a quick try to fire it up. It boots up until X is started. The X is displayed, but the Mythfrontend menu never shows. Telnetting in reveals a mythfrontend process using 100% CPU and the following messages are continuously spewed in /var/log/messages:

Code: Select all

Dec  5 19:52:14 (none) user.err kernel: SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache entry [1e56a]
Any idea what's wrong here?

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:34 am

I am not sure why this happens sometimes. However, rebuilding the image usually fixes it. Here is a version that runs on my hardware without seeing that problem: 0.21.0-62b3-nvidia.180.x.x.

paulin

Post by paulin » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:22 am

I got to try it out... The image loaded up fine (the 180.xx) so that was good. Thanks for that fix...

Next I tried playing something that was live...this didn't really change much. I was still pegging the CPU at about 92%.

So then I recording an HD program. Played it back and now I'm hitting the CPU around 60 to 70%. So this dropped it a good amount.

However the problem I'm still having is that it is jittery every once in a while. I setup my own playback profiles and tried just about everything I could think of. I finally settled on Standard, xv-blit and bob-deint. The bob-deint seems to solve the deinterlace issues. Still can't seem to figure out why it's jittery. CPU is not spiking when it happens.

So any ideas what I should try to fix the jittery problem now.

Thanks
steve

PS for live playback we would probably need to step up to trunk but not sure I'm ready for that. So we can hold off. Thanks for the offer.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:53 am

Are you using MythTV or MPlayer for the playback? Without switching to trunk, there is not VDPAU support in MythTV. Therefore, only MPlayer (specifically mplayer-svn) has a chance of show VDPAU playback improvements.

tsjoender
Contributor

Post by tsjoender » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:50 pm

The rebuilt b3 version booted just fine. Didn't have a lot of time testing it yet, but the initial observations with a GeForce 9400GT are that running mplayer with the "-vo vdpau" option doesn't really decrease the CPU load like I expected it (tested with h.264 720P .mkv files). At first glance it looks the same. The OSD info is totally gone (which is probably in line with what I read in other fora), but the audio / video sync seems better. Without the vdpau built towards the end the synchronisation would be slightly off, but with this version I cannot detect that.

An interesting observation is that with the previous nVidia drivers the menu of Mythfrontend wasn't totally sharp (9400GT connected through DVI). While with the same nVidia driver my previous GeForce 6200 produced a crisp picture. I feared it was a hardware issue, but with the 180.11 nVidia drivers and the 9400GT the picture is very crisp again (saves me the hassle of going through customer support :wink: ). Glxinfo now also recognises my 9400GT card correctly as with the previous driver version it would label it as an "unknown board" causing the menu effects to flicker using the OpenGL painter and VGA output (somehow DVI was fine there and so was the Qt painter using either VGA or DVI).

So the driver is not quite there yet, but there are improvements. If time allows I'll keep playing with this vdpau stuff. Thanks again for putting the time and effort into this.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:01 pm

A new test build with the VDPAU enabled driver is available: 0.21.0-62b6-nvidia.180.x.x. It includes an updated NVIDIA driver and and updated MPlayer VDPAU patch.

sergeant72

Post by sergeant72 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:19 pm

tsjoender wrote:The rebuilt b3 version booted just fine. Didn't have a lot of time testing it yet, but the initial observations with a GeForce 9400GT are that running mplayer with the "-vo vdpau" option doesn't really decrease the CPU load like I expected it
I hope i'm not stating the obvious, but -vo vdpau is not enough to get hardware acceleration. From README.txt

Running MPlayer:
$ cd mplayer-vdpau
$ ./mplayer -vc <VDPAU> -vo vdpau <filename>

'VDPAU-codec-name' can be one of:

ffmpeg12vdpau
ffh264vdpau
ffwmv3vdpau
ffvc1vdpau

based on the type of video bitstream (ffmpeg12vdpau for MPEG-1
or MPEG-2, ffh264vdpau for H.264, ffwmv3vdpau for WMV3, and
ffvc1vdpau for VC-1).

If a VDPAU codec is used, the VDPAU output module must be used.

Alternatively, you may use the VDPAU output module without specifying
a VDPAU codec. In this case, the bitstream decoding is not accelerated
using VDPAU
, but the decoded video is still presented using VDPAU:

$ cd mplayer-vdpau
$ ./mplayer -vo vdpau <filename>

I haven't tried that particular build of minimyth, but by running standalone mplayer with those patches the CPU load drops significantly