Minimyth success on ASUS M3N78-VM with Hiper HMC-2K53A-A0

Talk about successully using hardware here.

Moderator: Pablo

tsarath

Minimyth success on ASUS M3N78-VM with Hiper HMC-2K53A-A0

Post by tsarath » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:43 pm

So recently having more or less completed my MythTV build based on Minimyth (NFS boot image) based on the following components;

* Hiper HMC-2K53A-A0 Case (430mm x 310mm x 53mm)
* ASUS M3N78-VM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
* AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor OEM
* Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory (2x)
* Silverstone NT07-AM2 CPU cooler

I have the MCE remote (included with case), VFD display, analog sound and IR blaster working well currently. I have not played around with the built-in Ralink wireless NIC or the card reader as yet, on the to do list. I have a more detailed write up here in the hope it may prove useful to others.

Cheers

Tony

Yossarian87

Post by Yossarian87 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:35 am

Thanks for doing this writeup -- is very helpful. I am excited about the new VDPAU interface from nVidia, and I'm considering building a system very similar to yours. My main concern is, how quiet is that system? I'm currently using a VIA CN400-based minimyth frontend which has no moving parts whatsoever, and I'm worried that the 2 fans in that system will make too much noise.

tsarath

Post by tsarath » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:46 am

Yossarian87 wrote:Thanks for doing this writeup -- is very helpful. I am excited about the new VDPAU interface from nVidia, and I'm considering building a system very similar to yours. My main concern is, how quiet is that system? I'm currently using a VIA CN400-based minimyth frontend which has no moving parts whatsoever, and I'm worried that the 2 fans in that system will make too much noise.
It's reasonably quiet, the CPU fan is almost silent, but the PS has two 40mm fans that don't seem to be temperature controlled which are audible, but not enough to cause any amount of distraction while watching stuff. You could probably wire these up to an external temp sensor if they really bug you, but it hasn't been an issue for me so far. One other limitation of this case is that you do need the 15mm clearance at the top for the CPU exhaust as it's recommended in the docs. Not doing so caused my CPU temp to spike >50C.

VDPAU is pretty awesome, playing 1080p stuff via mplayer this CPU goes from 60-90% load fluctuations to 3-5%. Unfortunately it doesn't play all file types reliably still, but can't wait till it goes out of beta and becomes more generally usable.

Tony

Yossarian87

Post by Yossarian87 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:53 pm

tsarath wrote: One other limitation of this case is that you do need the 15mm clearance at the top for the CPU exhaust as it's recommended in the docs. Not doing so caused my CPU temp to spike >50C.
Tony
I was planning on getting the same Silverstone NT07-AM2 CPU cooler that you used. Are you saying that even with the low profile cooler you ran into airflow issues? How did you fix it? Drill holes in the top of the case?

tsarath

Post by tsarath » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:14 am

Yossarian87 wrote:
tsarath wrote: One other limitation of this case is that you do need the 15mm clearance at the top for the CPU exhaust as it's recommended in the docs. Not doing so caused my CPU temp to spike >50C.
Tony
I was planning on getting the same Silverstone NT07-AM2 CPU cooler that you used. Are you saying that even with the low profile cooler you ran into airflow issues? How did you fix it? Drill holes in the top of the case?
The Silverstone NT07-AM2 fits inside this case without issue, but the case has an airflow vent on the top cover inline with the cooler to let the hot air exhaust properly. If you stack a DVD player or anything on top of this case with minimal clearance, you will block this airflow and CPU will run hotter than it needs to.

One possible solution is to reverse the direction of the airflow to make this an intake, but I haven't tried this myself. I just moved this to the top as you can see in the photos.

Yossarian87

Post by Yossarian87 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:53 am

We don't use optical disks of any kind in my house (everything is magnetic or solid state) so I won't be needing a DVD drive. I guess that means that there will be plenty of clearance then?

tsarath

Post by tsarath » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:41 pm

Yossarian87 wrote:We don't use optical disks of any kind in my house (everything is magnetic or solid state) so I won't be needing a DVD drive. I guess that means that there will be plenty of clearance then?
If you don't block the vent, then there is no airflow issue.

tegel

Post by tegel » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:21 pm

I have almost the same setup

Hiper mATX chassie (HMC-1S53A) http://www.hipergroup.com/products.php? ... 12&pid=128
Asus M3N78-VM with Geforce 8200
AMD AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz
Hiper low profile CPU fan (HFA-20820-C1, http://www.hipergroup.com/products.php? ... =13&pid=40
2 GB PC-5300 memory

Iam running with the 180.22 nvidia drivers. http://www.minimyth.org/download/stable ... 22.tar.bz2

Is it possible to use VDPAU in the MythTV playback profile setup?
I don't have that option. I have set MM_VIDEO_DECODER='vdpau' in the minimyth.conf

Seems like the GPU memory (shared, 256 MB max) is too small to play certain 1080i mkv:s (I have only tested one so far). I get the "error at line 23 in vdpau.c"
Playing this mkv with only xv support maxes the CPU load and frames are lost.

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:42 pm

tegel wrote:Is it possible to use VDPAU in the MythTV playback profile setup?
MythTV 0.21 does not include VDPAU support. However, there is an expermental patch that adds the support. I have included the patch to the latest test build. As long as it does not cause problems on systems that do not use VDPAU, I will leave it in.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.

invalesco

power consumption

Post by invalesco » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:19 pm

Hey everyone.

I spend several days to find a good combination of hardware for my new htpc (linux)

The best solution are equal to yours:
Asus M3N78-VM with Geforce 8200
AMD AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz

My needs:
full hd playback
low power consumption

How much power will this setup use?
Will it be possible to underclock the cpu to 1ghz to use lesser watt?