Updating xorg radeon driver

Help with using MiniMyth's build system

Moderator: Pablo

Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

I just had a thought. Have you tried the 64-bit version of MiniMyth? In addition to being compiled for 64-bit systems, the 64-bit version is compiled with "-03 -mfpmath=sse" rather than "-0s". The latest stable release is 0.21.0-61-x86_64.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.
Glidos
Contributor

Post by Glidos »

Ooo, worth a go, but I'm guessing that doesn't have the latest ati driver from git master?
Glidos
Contributor

Post by Glidos »

Solved.

When using SuSE, I found I needed to set MythTV to use XVMC to get smooth playback. What I didn't notice was that it was failing and falling back to opengl. Minimyth must have been falling back to something else, I guess. Now that I explicitly set it to use opengl, Minimyth is as smooth as SuSE. Sorry Pablo, to put you to trouble over this, when I should have performed more checks myself.

Anyway, I have an absolutley superb picture now. Next is to figure out whether I can find a reasonable size box for this ATX mobo and full size graphics card, or whether I need to buy a low profile PCI 9200, plus a uATX mobo.
Glidos
Contributor

Post by Glidos »

It works only with 62b7, where you added GART support. With 62b4 it runs at about 3 spf. Does that suggest that a PCI card wouldn't perform well enough? I suppose the combination of ffmpeg and opengl means passing uncompressed frames from cpu to gpu, so AGP's direct memory access is likely to be a big win. I have no idea really whether PCI has the bandwidth for that.
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Glidos wrote:When using SuSE, I found I needed to set MythTV to use XVMC to get smooth playback. What I didn't notice was that it was failing and falling back to opengl. Minimyth must have been falling back to something else, I guess. Now that I explicitly set it to use opengl, Minimyth is as smooth as SuSE. Sorry Pablo, to put you to trouble over this, when I should have performed more checks myself.
No worries. I am glad that it is working.

As for the fallback differences, MiniMyth' MythTV is patched to fix the problem outline the problem described in #4792.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Glidos wrote:It works only with 62b7, where you added GART support. With 62b4 it runs at about 3 spf. Does that suggest that a PCI card wouldn't perform well enough? I suppose the combination of ffmpeg and opengl means passing uncompressed frames from cpu to gpu, so AGP's direct memory access is likely to be a big win. I have no idea really whether PCI has the bandwidth for that.
Yes, it is passing uncompressed frames. I do not know PCI has enough bandwidth. I have heard that PCI does not have the bandwidth for HDTV playback.

However, without efficient DRI support, I do not think that OpenGL will work well. Therefore, if efficient DRI support requires AGP, then I suspect that you will need AGP.