Building error in 0.21.0-64

Help with using MiniMyth's build system

Moderator: Pablo

Spulit
Contributor

Building error in 0.21.0-64

Post by Spulit »

Hi,

I've been trying to build MM version 0.21.0-0.64 and I'm getting the following error while compiling package e2fsprogs:

make[8]: Leaving directory `/media/Spulit/GAR/gar-minimyth-0.21.0-64/script/disk/e2fsprogs/work/build.d/e2fsprogs-1.41.4/lib/ss'
COMPILE_ET ss_err.et
../et/compile_et --build-tree ./ss_err.et
MK_CMDS std_rqs.c
chmod: ss_err.h: new permissions are r-xrwxrwx, not r-xr-xr-x
chmod: ss_err.c: new permissions are r-xrwxrwx, not r-xr-xr-x
make[7]: *** [ss_err.c] Error 1
make[7]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
chmod: std_rqs.c: new permissions are r-xrwxrwx, not r-xr-xr-x
make[7]: Leaving directory `/media/Spulit/GAR/gar-minimyth-0.21.0-64/script/disk/e2fsprogs/work/build.d/e2fsprogs-1.41.4/lib/ss'
make[6]: *** [all-libs-recursive] Error 1
make[6]: Leaving directory `/media/Spulit/GAR/gar-minimyth-0.21.0-64/script/disk/e2fsprogs/work/build.d/e2fsprogs-1.41.4'
make[5]: *** [all] Error 2
make[5]: Leaving directory `/media/Spulit/GAR/gar-minimyth-0.21.0-64/script/disk/e2fsprogs/work/build.d/e2fsprogs-1.41.4'
make[4]: *** [build-work/build.d/e2fsprogs-1.41.4/Makefile] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/media/Spulit/GAR/gar-minimyth-0.21.0-64/script/disk/e2fsprogs'
make[3]: *** [../../disk/e2fsprogs/cookies/build.d/install] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/media/Spulit/GAR/gar-minimyth-0.21.0-64/script/utils/util-linux-ng'
make[2]: *** [imgdep-build] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/media/Spulit/GAR/gar-minimyth-0.21.0-64/script/utils/util-linux-ng'
make[1]: *** [../../utils/util-linux-ng/cookies/build.d/install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/media/Spulit/GAR/gar-minimyth-0.21.0-64/script/meta/minimyth'
make: *** [imgdep-build] Error 2

Any idea?

Thanks
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

I do not know what could be causing the error.

If you add

Code: Select all

PARALLELMFLAGS := -j1
below

Code: Select all

include ../../gar.mk
in disk/e2fsprogs/Makefile,
then does the problem go away or the error message change?

Also, what kernel, kernel-headers and glibc versions are on your build system?
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.
Spulit
Contributor

Post by Spulit »

Hi,

Unfortunately, that doesn't solve the problem...:(

My build system is an Ubuntu 8.10, with all the updates, kernel 2.6.24-23 (and headers), libc6 2.7-10.

Thanks
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

I think the easiest thing is to revert e2fsprogs from 1.14.4 to 1.14.3. I have checked in the change and it will be in the next test build.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.
Spulit
Contributor

Post by Spulit »

OK, I'm eagerly waiting for that release!

Thanks
Spulit
Contributor

Post by Spulit »

Just a quick note: I rolled back to version 1.41.3 and I get the same error...

Maybe it has something to do with my host system...

Thanks
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Do you have anything in common with this thread or this thread? The reason that I ask is that the posters were having chmod problems as well.
Spulit
Contributor

Post by Spulit »

Damn...I would never figure this out...I moved the /disk/e2fsprogs to a ext3 filesystem (doing the necessary modifications on the Makefile) and it compiled! It seems that the problem was in the fact of using an external disk formatted with NTFS.
I guess I should write in the documentation that the GAR system shouldn't be used on a NTFS filesystem... :)
Let's see if I can reach the final images without any error while still using the NTFS filesystem...

Thanks a lot!
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Spulit wrote:Damn...I would never figure this out...I moved the /disk/e2fsprogs to a ext3 filesystem (doing the necessary modifications on the Makefile) and it compiled! It seems that the problem was in the fact of using an external disk formatted with NTFS.
I guess I should write in the documentation that the GAR system shouldn't be used on a NTFS filesystem... :)
Actually, this is a bug in disk/e2fsprogs. Failing to chmod the generated *.c and *.h files to be read only should not be a fatal build error. I have committed patch that should make the chmod more likely to succeed and should stop it from failing with a fatal error were it not to succeed.
Let's see if I can reach the final images without any error while still using the NTFS filesystem...

Thanks a lot!
Let me know whether or not it makes it all the way through.
Spulit
Contributor

Post by Spulit »

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go through to the end...Some packages popped up errors, mostly "Operation not supported"... I was moving those packages one by one to an ext3 fs and they kept compiling ok, until I gave up since many packages kept on displaying those errors...
I guess I need to move my all GAR system to an ext3 (or similar) filesystem...

Thanks
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Ok, then I will add the warning about NTFS.