Problem building release 66

Help with using MiniMyth's build system

Moderator: Pablo

bowmo
Contributor

Problem building release 66

Post by bowmo »

I'm trying to build the latest release on my server, but it seems like the C compiler is broken, according to the dump below...

Code: Select all

checking target system type... i486-pc-linux-gnu
checking for i486-linux-gnu-gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: in `/mnt/mythdisk/mythfrontend/builds/gar-minimyth-0.21.0-66/script/devel/binutils/work/build_build.d/binutils-2.19.1/opcodes':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
I'm running debian squeeze/sid on the server..

Any hints?

Regards
Thomas
rjch

Post by rjch »

Apart from "see 'config.log' for more details", I'd suggest you check permissions in your build environment. Do you have permission to write new files?
bowmo
Contributor

Post by bowmo »

Hmm.. apparently gcc segfaults! But why? If others are compiling without problems, then ?

Thread model: single
gcc version 4.3.0 (GCC)
configure:1928: $? = 0
configure:1930: gcc -V </dev>&5
gcc: '-V' option must have argument
configure:1933: $? = 1
configure:1956: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:1959: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
gcc: Internal error: Segmentation fault (program as)
Please submit a full bug report.
See <http> for instructions.
configure:1962: $? = 1
There is no problems with user rights, as I am using the same user to download / unpack the gar files, as I am using to compile with.

/ Thomas
bowmo
Contributor

Post by bowmo »

I found that the error occurs during binutils compilation. I then tried to do a make clean ; make, in binutils.

Result : Failed with the same as shown above.

I then tried make distclean; configure; make

Result : It worked!

So it seems like there is a configuration error when using the buildscripts that comes with minimyth?
bowmo
Contributor

Post by bowmo »

further to my build problems, I found out that if I try to start the build script again, after a build "crash" the build script complains about missing ar.
But if I type ar on the command line, then it exists in the path?
[/code]
build system binaries ...
'ar' (from package 'binutils')
error: your system does not contain the program 'ar' (from package 'binutils').
make[1]: *** [mm-all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/mythdisk/mythfrontend/builds/gar-minimyth-0.21.0-66/script/meta/minimyth'
make: *** [pre-everything] Error 2
mythcompile@chalotte:/mnt/mythdisk/mythfrontend/builds/gar-minimyth-0.21.0-66/script/meta/minimyth$ ar
Usage: ar [emulation options] [-]{dmpqrstx}[abcfilNoPsSuvV] [member-name] [count] archive-file file...
ar -M [<mri-script]
commands:
[/code]

As mentioned before I am using debian squeeze/sid, on a singlecore K8 (LE-1640). Is there any known issues with this distro, and / or processor?

/ Thomas
bowmo
Contributor

Post by bowmo »

I looked deeper into the problem, and found some refferences to problems building binutils with shared libraries.

So I changed the build options for binutils to static, and now everything is compiled (I haven't tried the image yet, as it finished building during the night..)

/ Thomas
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

bowmo wrote:I looked deeper into the problem, and found some refferences to problems building binutils with shared libraries.

So I changed the build options for binutils to static, and now everything is compiled (I haven't tried the image yet, as it finished building during the night..)

/ Thomas
Thanks for tracking it down.

What are the exact changes that you made to the devel/binutils package Makefile.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.
bowmo
Contributor

Post by bowmo »

I removed the following two lines from the CONFIGURE_ARGS in the binutils makefile :

--enable-shared \
        --disable-static \
so binutils are made static, instead of shared libraries.

/ Thomas
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Thanks. The change has been committed and will be in the next build.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.