NVIDIA with AMD processor, next experiment coming up

Ask for hardware advice here

Moderator: Pablo

richb01803

NVIDIA with AMD processor, next experiment coming up

Post by richb01803 »

I'm contemplating yet another motherboard purchase in what has thus far been a fruitless attempt to get MythTV plugged into the back of a Sharp Aquos TV. The entire list of components will be: TV, HDMI cable, Ethernet uplink, Microsoft-compatible USB infrared remote, motherboard, chassis/power supply, and DVD-R drive.

My last experiment with ATI-based graphics failed due to driver issues (on MiniMyth it's unsupported; on MythBuntu it's unstable, on openSUSE it worked for about 2 days before going to unrecoverable black-screen-of-death mode).

Now I want to use AMD processor (for cost savings--I know from my experiments that a no-frills $40 AMD CPU will run 1080p no problem) and NVIDEO graphics chip (for driver compatibility with MiniMyth).

What are the odds that an XFX MIA78S8209 (search for that part number at Newegg.com) or EVGA nForce 730a AM2+ (search for that at microcenter.com) will come up at least to the point of smooth 1080p playback and analog audio? (I'd prefer HDMI audio but my expectations are in the cellar after months of struggle).

The Circuit City liquidation might present a buying opportunity. Do they have any MiniMyth-compatible hardware that can do HDMI? Our local Best Buy only has overpriced 2007-vintage junk. Haven't walked into a Circuit City in more than a year.

-rich
seth_keith
Contributor

Post by seth_keith »

Did you get anywhere? I need 1080p hardware advice.
richb01803

Post by richb01803 »

No, I got busy at work and gave up on MiniMyth for a few months. Still using a semi-busted MythBuntu setup.