Diskless HD Minimyth Frontend

Ask for hardware advice here

Moderator: Pablo

hak

Re: Diskless HD Minimyth Frontend

Post by hak »

Is it possible to use an Android phone as a minimyth frontend?
android is linux, phones have ram, hdd, television support (some of them!)
AverageBob

Post by AverageBob »

Like stoge, I have been able to get minimyth working for the frontend on a EPIA M10000 with the built-in video card (Unichrome?) on SD. I put in an ATSC card to get OTA signals on the backend. It records fine but I am not able to play using the frontend. The video/audio is slow and choppy. Is the hardware just not adequate? If it isn't I have two choices: (1) Get a newer PCI nVidia card and bypass the built-in or (2) get another MB like the nVidia ION.

If I'm going to replace the board, I will have to wait until I get a better TV. Thanks for you input.
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

AverageBob wrote:Like stoge, I have been able to get minimyth working for the frontend on a EPIA M10000 with the built-in video card (Unichrome?) on SD. I put in an ATSC card to get OTA signals on the backend. It records fine but I am not able to play using the frontend. The video/audio is slow and choppy. Is the hardware just not adequate? If it isn't I have two choices: (1) Get a newer PCI nVidia card and bypass the built-in or (2) get another MB like the nVidia ION.

If I'm going to replace the board, I will have to wait until I get a better TV. Thanks for you input.
One of the reasons that I moved away from VIA EPIA was that it could not play back most ATSC transmitted content. While I could have converted the content into something that would play, I decided that would be a step back so it was time to move on.

Today, I use two different solutions. In locations where size is important, I use nettop boxes that contain Intel Atom CPU + NVIDIA ION GPU. With this combination, the GPU performs much of the video decoding. I settings where size is not important, I use an AMD CPU + NVIDIA GPU. With this combination, the CPU performs all of the video decoding. When the situation allows, I prefer a solution that uses the CPU rather than the GPU preforms the video decoding. The reason is that applications and video formats that use the GPU to decode video are limited relative to the CPU. For example, Flash encapsulated video relies on the CPU rather than the GPU for decoding.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.