Via Epia-M HTPC

Ask for hardware advice here

Moderator: Pablo

johnvan

Via Epia-M HTPC

Post by johnvan »

I'm hooked on Mythtv now. I started last month buying a used Xbox to use with XBMC just to get AVI file easily up to my TV on my home network. Last week I hooked an old satellite receiver to my desktop and got things running with Mythtv (my OS is Ubuntu). I love it, the interface is great, I use my Xbox to retrieve Myth recordings but I'd like a Myth frontend with Mythvideo and do away with the Xbox and Satellite PVR I curretly have on my TV.
Would this do the trick?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Via-EPIA-M-1-0GHz-25 ... 286.c0.m14

Right now the Xbox works flawlessly so I wouldn't want to take a step back.
Thanks
Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Via Epia-M HTPC

Post by Pablo »

I cannot speak about the VIA EPIA M relative to the Microsoft Xbox. However, I have moved away from VIA EPIA solutions for Myth. For fanless small footprint systems, I prefer single core ION (Intel ATOM + NVIDIA with VDPAU) platforms to VIA EPIA platforms. For quiet systems without a small footprint requirement, I prefer AMD Athlon + NVIDA. I have found the NVIDIA graphics with the proprietary NVIDIA drivers to be more reliable than VIA graphics with the Open Source Openchrome drivers.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.
johnvan

Re: Via Epia-M HTPC

Post by johnvan »

Thanks, maybe I'll have to build something from scratch. On my desktop I had to install an Nvidia card just to get Myth working because my ATI card wasn't well supported, the Nvidia works great with Myth.