Hama MCE Remote

Ask for hardware advice here

Moderator: Pablo

stueble

Hama MCE Remote

Post by stueble »

Hi,

my Zotac IONITX-C-E runs perfectly now with minimyth, also wake on USB. However, I am not sure whether my USB remote is supported, or whether a configuration option is missing.

The Hama MCE remote (see http://www.amazon.de/Hama-00052451-MCE- ... B000X1EL4W), shown as 'Bus 005 Device 021: ID 05a4:9881 Ortek Technology, Inc.', is detected as HID device and thus directly sends mouse/keyboard events. As I understand the Howto "LIRC devinput: Using a remote control that appears as keyboard", some HID-based remotes are directly supported by minimyth even without lirc?!

Since some of the keys of the Hama remote work, others not, I am not sure whether it is not supported, or whether a configuration option is missing. For example, the power button (sending keycode 150) does not do anything ('echo mem > /sys/power/state' works). Of course, I could try to use xmodmaprc to map, e.g., keycode 150 to XF86Sleep (would that enable suspending using the remote, by the way?), but maybe there is an easier way to support this device? If it is not supported yes, can I do something to help supporting it?

Thanks for help & best regards,
Chris
Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Hama MCE Remote

Post by Pablo »

Yes, it is supported, but not in the current stable version (72). You will need to use the current test version (73b3).

I own this remote branded as an Adesso ARC-1100. It is because of this remote that I wrote eventlircd. The remote shows up as two USB HID devices: one that outputs the events for most of the remote buttons and one that outputs the events for the remaining remote buttons and the mouse. Some buttons act like a single keyboard key (KEY_UP for the "up" button) while others generate a key combination (KEY_LEFTCTRL+KEY_LEFTSHIFT+KEY_B for the "rewind" button). eventlircd handles mapping key combinations to single events and allowing lircd to handle the keyboard events and Xorg to handle the mouse events.

By the way, the right mouse button will not work. This is because the info button and the right mouse button generate the BTN_RIGHT event. Because I feel the info button is more important than the right mouse button, this device's eventlircd event mapping file maps BTN_RIGHT to KEY_INFO.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.
stueble

Post by stueble »

Hi Pablo,

many thanks for this info. I will check this out when I am back home. This means that minimyth will use lirc to support this remote? I tried the remote under mythbuntu using only xmodmap key mappings and it worked quite well (to be true, some tricks had been required to workaround that mythtv cannot distinguish CTRL+T and CTRL+Shift+T etc.). In this context, I had the impression that the remote generated different events on <info> and the right mouse button. IMO, <info> generated a middle mouse button, but I will check this.

Many thanks,
Chris
Pablo
Site Admin

Post by Pablo »

Yes, it is handled by LIRC.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.
stueble

Post by stueble »

Hi,

my remote works nearly perfect using 73b3. The only minimal exception is that the default setup does not include 'Esc', since both remote keys 'Backspace' and 'Esc' are mapped to 'Backspace'. However, this could easily be fixed using the mythtv keyboard remapping tool.

Many thanks,
Chris