Zotac IONITX and newer nvidia driver issues...

Ask for hardware advice here

Moderator: Pablo

jstenback

Zotac IONITX and newer nvidia driver issues...

Post by jstenback »

I've been happily using Minimyth on two Zotac IONITX systems here for quite some time (since the early days of 0.22) and things have worked wonderfully. Once 0.23 hit the Minimyth repository I switched over to it, and around that time I also noticed that playback of HD content (h.264 from a HD-PVR) got choppy, and in particular I realized that 1080i playback on a full 1080 resolution display can no longer keep up (720p stuff worked better, but not perfect either). I did some more digging around and realized that if I change the deinterlacer from Temporal 1x, which worked wonderfully before on the same hardware to either None or one of the other lower quality ones, the problem goes away (at least mostly).

So I did some more experimentation, one test was to rebuild Minimyth with nvidia driver version 190.53 instead of the then current 195.36.15, and voila, back to normal. Temporal 1x worked flawlessly again with 1080i content, and 720p content worked perfectly as well.

Then other stuff came up, and I left it at that. Then recently I noticed that a new nvidia driver was released, 195.36.24 to be specific, so I gave it a new shot, but same problem still.

So I'm still back to the old driver (190.53) and I'm wondering if this is something that someone else has seen as well, or if I'm alone in this boat. I see this same exact problem on two frontends, both identical hardware, both netbooting off of the same server (same nfs root n' all).
Pablo
Site Admin

Re: Zotac IONITX and newer nvidia driver issues...

Post by Pablo »

When I get a chance, I will see whether or not I can reproduce this problem on my Acer ApireRevo 3610.

By the way, when the problem occurs, at what speed is the processor running, and is the processor running at the same speed when it does not occur? The reason I ask is because of this.
MiniMyth running on an Acer ApireRevo 3610 and a Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U. Find out more at my MythTV page.
bcromwell
Contributor

Post by bcromwell »

I think I am having the same issue, but with the atom it doesn't appear the the current version of minimyth supports cpu scaling

Only things currently supported are:
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cache/
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/thermal_throttle/
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/topology/

root@mythBR:~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 28
model name : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 330 @ 1.60GHz
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 1600.033
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perf
mon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm movbe
lahf_lm
bogomips : 3201.40
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 32 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor : 1
core id : 1
apicid : 2
initial apicid : 2
pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perf
mon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm movbe
lahf_lm
bogomips : 3202.19
power management:

processor : 2
core id : 0
apicid : 1
initial apicid : 1
lahf_lm
bogomips : 3201.45
power management:

processor : 3
core id : 1
apicid : 3
initial apicid : 3
lahf_lm
bogomips : 3201.52
power management:
jstenback

Post by jstenback »

Yeah, I don't see any CPU scaling happening with the Atom processor, unless it's done some way other than through /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/... So the Atom CPU is running at 1.6GHz at all times, and that's what /proc/cpuinfo says at all times.

Someone mentioned in a thread on the mythtv-users mailing list that this might be due to down-scaling of the output. The system where I've seen this (only ever tested on one of the two I have) uses an EDTV, so everything gets shrunk before it's displayed. I'll test the other frontend over the weekend where no scaling should be happening as it has a 1080 native resolution TV attached.

bcromwell, since you're seeing this as well, do you happen to have a native output resolution that matches the resolution of your content, i.e. a 1080 TV?
bcromwell
Contributor

Post by bcromwell »

jstenback wrote:Yeah, I don't see any CPU scaling happening with the Atom processor, unless it's done some way other than through /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/... So the Atom CPU is running at 1.6GHz at all times, and that's what /proc/cpuinfo says at all times.

Someone mentioned in a thread on the mythtv-users mailing list that this might be due to down-scaling of the output. The system where I've seen this (only ever tested on one of the two I have) uses an EDTV, so everything gets shrunk before it's displayed. I'll test the other frontend over the weekend where no scaling should be happening as it has a 1080 native resolution TV attached.

bcromwell, since you're seeing this as well, do you happen to have a native output resolution that matches the resolution of your content, i.e. a 1080 TV?

Yes I am running 1080P on a 1080P tv. So shouldn't be a scaling issue...
jstenback

Post by jstenback »

FWIW, this seems to have resolved itself in the last month or so. I don't know which change fixed it, but with SVN rev 6609 I'm able to use the latest nvidia driver, and an slightly earlier version (right before the recent nvidia driver version bump) I was also able to successfully play back 1080i material with the then latest nvidia driver.
jstenback

Post by jstenback »

Scratch that, I tested the wrong thing here, same problem still exists...
jstenback

Post by jstenback »

This seems to be fixed now, for real this time! It either got fixed by a recent change in seemingly unrelated parts minimyth, or the new nvidia driver (256.44) fixed this issue, and if I was to guess I'd guess the new nvidia driver did it.